RC poster

Rustler will not steer

I made sure batteries are fully charged. The car goes fine forward and reverse. When I turn the steering, there is nothing. No cut edges on the wires that go to front area where it seems to be the steering server from what I am reading. Do i need to replace a steering servo or is there something I can do before bringing it in for repairs? It worked just find 2 weeks ago.

Thanks in Advance...

RC Enthusiast
    I would check the connections in the receiver to be safe.

RC poster
    OK...I didn't open the receiver up. I will do that this afternoon. Am I just verifying that its not loose?

RC Enthusiast
    yes pretty much let me know if that does not work

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    You can swap your throttle and servo connections. See if the wheels turn when you hit the throttle. Does your motor work?

RC poster
    Sounds good....will report what I find...

Do you hear any noise at all out of the servo?
    Submarine Qualified, Chief Inducted, Navy Retired

RC poster
    I opened the receiver up. I saw 2 connections. Steering must have been the one on the 1st set, and the throttle was on the 3rd set and both were secure on the pins. I did swap the throttle set onto 1st set of pins and the steering wheel did run in fwd, and rev. the steering still didn't work. It's completely quiet when I try to turn the wheel on the transmitter. I can manually turn the wheels with my hands.

RC poster
    so to be clear.
    you plugged the servo on the 3rd port on the receiver. when you pushed the throttle, the car turned right, when you pushed the reverse the car turned left?
    if you turn the wheel on the controller the car should go forward and reverse. is this what you did?

with the steering servo on the 3rd pin. when you push throttle what happens?

with the esc plugged into the 1st pins, when you turn the wheel on the controller what happens?

very important so we can know if its your receiver or your servo.
    Last edited by specter6633; 05-31-2017 at 02:33 PM.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Sounds like the servo is dead

RC poster
    When I opened the receiver theier was once connected to 1st pin and 3rd pin. This allows the car to go fwd and rev with the throttle and nothing with the steering wheel. Then I tried to swap them and when i pulled the throttle, nothing. When I turned the steering wheel to the right, car went fwd, and turned the wheel to the left the car went rev. Both on pins 1 and 3 the real wheels would go fwd and rev. steering didnt work on either the 1st or 3rd pins

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by Justrelaxing View Post
    When I opened the receiver theier was once connected to 1st pin and 3rd pin. This allows the car to go fwd and rev with the throttle and nothing with the steering wheel. Then I tried to swap them and when i pulled the throttle, nothing. When I turned the steering wheel to the right, car went fwd, and turned the wheel to the left the car went rev. Both on pins 1 and 3 the real wheels would go fwd and rev. steering didnt work on either the 1st or 3rd pins
    Servo is still dead. Good detail. Made troubleshooting easy.

RC poster
    I bought a new servo and installed it. Steering wheel moves, although, the wheel move to the right and it does not move left and right very well. I am thinking the little white piece that is connected to the wheel arm has to be adjusted. Does this make sense?

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    You need to try and use the search function of the forum. Take the white piece off(servo saver). Center your wheels with it removed. Power your car on, servo will center. Then install the servo saver. Use the steering trim to perfect the operation.
    Not trying to be a jerk but this has been covered, many times.

RC poster
    I did search...I may not have read the entire message as topic started going elsewhere. Appreciate laying it out for me. I will do that this evening.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by Justrelaxing View Post
    I did search...I may not have read the entire message as topic started going elsewhere. Appreciate laying it out for me. I will do that this evening.
    No problem

I am in agreement with Grip. Being a member here. You can check many problems for your car, if you search other threads. Please don't get me wrong. I just love to do the research to fix any problems I have, not only here but on you tube. You can find almost anything. By doing this I almost know my rustler like the back of my hand. A few of the 2WD Traxxas vehicle's have the same electronics, motor, transmission and steering components. Don't get me wrong. We all like to give advise but your best bet is to research. You will be surprised at how much you learn. Plus sometimes you will get so much advise, you don't know which one to try first. Could have a tendency to get confusing, if you are new at it. Not saying you are and please don't let this chase you away....just sayin!
    Choose Life !!!

Justrelaxing,
    The search function is a great way to explore but you should not be told by anyone to use it! That is what this community is for...helping others understand and repair their r/c's. Although there may be times when the forum is dead or slow which is usually a sign of most being busy with other obligations and your answer may not come quick enough then I would revert to the search feature.
    Hope the saver is all you need sure sounds like it.
    T/SportMax/Slayer Pro/Bandit
    Stampede/Rustler

I honestly don't think anyone was telling him to use thread search only, for his problem. I use it all the time. No one had to tell me anything about it. I just like doing my research. I am pretty sure grip is the same way. Why not tell someone to use it. This whole community is a great learning tool. Old threads, recent threads, advise from fellow RCers. Use it all. I have seen many threads where so many people, give so many different troubleshooting ideas, a newcomer could very well get confused. Then you get people that jump in without reading the whole thread and repeat something that was already mentioned. Now that's just being anxious to help someone out the way I see it. No harm no foul anywhere, is all i have to say. Happy Rc'ing everyone! Most of all, be always happy when you have a transmitter in your hand and a vehicle on the ground doing the receiving. Of course, with a fully charged battery and mindset to go with it.
    Choose Life !!!

Really? post 14 if as you said...."Then you get people that jump in without reading the whole thread".
    This is by no mean intended to start a argument just reassurance the op knows most are here to answer questions to the best of their knowledge.
    Stampede/Rustler

OK Jerry I get it and probably took your post the wrong way. I understand and do apologize to you sir. Lets put all this behind us and keep up the good advise. My bad and not afraid to admit it. The reason for the ones that jump in I did say were just anxious to jump in and help. Only reason i say that is i have had this happen to me. I did not bother me at all. Just someone anxious to help . Lets be real here. I thought it was funny myself.Maybe I am just old school and learned most of my knowledge on my own.
    Last edited by lektro; 06-01-2017 at 04:53 PM.
    Choose Life !!!

RC Turnbuckle Jr.

Rustler will not steer

Quote Originally Posted by JerrysMaxx View Post
    Justrelaxing,
    The search function is a great way to explore but you should not be told by anyone to use it! That is what this community is for...helping others understand and repair their r/c's. Although there may be times when the forum is dead or slow which is usually a sign of most being busy with other obligations and your answer may not come quick enough then I would revert to the search feature.
    Hope the saver is all you need sure sounds like it.
    Advising folks to utilize the search function is helping. Everyone should use it. After I recommended(or told him/her) to use the search function, I spelled out the solution. This can be taken how ever you like. It was meant to be informative and helpful
    Last edited by Gripdog7205; 06-01-2017 at 08:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gripdog7205 View Post
    Advising folks to utilize the search function is helping. Everyone should use it. Thanks for the unhelpful input though.
    just as I thought
    As noted I did reply it is a useful function of the forum and I am sure the op has used it. From what I gathered he did not find his answer as stated in post 15. People should come here and be able to ask as many and as often as they like without having to be told to do a search whether it be in this forum or the web. I do not take back any comment I have made and yes it was as useful as you are on this forum.
    Little touchy IMO
    Last edited by JerrysMaxx; 06-01-2017 at 08:35 PM.
    Stampede/Rustler

Monster Baja Sla2h VXL
    Rustler VXL

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by JerrysMaxx View Post
    just as I thought
    As noted I did reply it is a useful function of the forum and I am sure the op has used it. From what I gathered he did not find his answer as stated in post 15. People should come here and be able to ask as many and as often as they like without having to be told to do a search whether it be in this forum or the web. I do not take back any comment I have made and yes it was as useful as you are on this forum.
    Little touchy IMO
    Yeah a bit, but I did edit my post. To try and not let it show. You may continue to dress me down and use explanation marks to denote emphasis if you want. Use all caps, I don't care. You're telling me what I should and shouldn't do, pretty much like what I did. Hello pot, I'm kettle.

Quote Originally Posted by NYbandit33 View Post
    You got a drink to go with that popcorn? I'm mighty thirsty!
    Choose Life !!!

RC poster
    Hello guys, I am having the same problem. My rusty goes fwd/rev, but won't move and does not make any noise. I tried switching the connectors in the receiver, when I turned the wheel on the transmitter, the wheels spun, but when I pulled the teiggger, nothing happened...am considering to take it to a hobby shop, or should I call traxxas to help? My warranty is not out yet, I got the Rusty a few days ago...help

It kinda sounds like your servo died If you have some time, test out Traxxas' customer service. Give them a call and see what happens. BTW, welcome to the forum!!
    MTFBWY