Results 1 to 13 of 13

Thread: Bad radio range

  1. #1
    RC Competitor
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Finland
    Posts
    88

    Question Bad radio range

    So my Summit has a about 20m range with no obstacle and when driving back when the radio range runs out its glitching and when pulling on the trigger is pulled steadily its the car doesn't accelerate smoothly. All is fine tho when its closer again or not at the end of the range. I have the old TQ 2.4ghz radio have new good batteries. Should the Summit with its 5 channels have a shorter range than rest of the models with the same radio with out the 5 channels? Any idea why my radio range is short
    Last edited by PahviNalle; 05-31-2017 at 04:00 PM.

  2. #2
    RC Qualifier SummitonSlingrs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    Salt Lake City, UT
    Posts
    370
    I am experiencing a shorter range on my Rustler radio than the rest of my Traxxas vehicles too.
    Sorry I am no help PahviNalle but I thought I would chime in and subscribe to thread.
    Sla2hP4deXSummitRusty2TRX4Bigfoot#14TEC2.0Rally

  3. #3
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    area-51 RC
    Posts
    833
    Quote Originally Posted by PahviNalle View Post
    So my Summit has a about 20m range with no obstacle and when driving back when the radio range runs out its glitching and when pulling on the trigger is pulled steadily its the car doesn't accelerate smoothly. All is fine tho when its closer again or not at the end of the range. I have the old TQ 2.4ghz radio have new good batteries. Should the Summit with its 5 channels have a shorter range than rest of the models with the same radio with out the 5 channels? Any idea why my radio range is short
    For sure the bats are good? I can drive my summit well past 200 yards How about the receiver antenna ? Good shape ? Not broke ?


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

  4. #4
    RC Competitor
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Finland
    Posts
    88

    Question

    Yeah batteries are 2 runs old and the antenna should be fine all thought the blue antenna is full of super glue don't ask why.
    But so as SummitonSlinger said he gets less range on his Summit than on other models so the 5 channels might shorten the range.
    Also my receiver box is full of wires so the antenna wire pretty cramped but don't we all have a cramped receiver box.
    Last edited by PahviNalle; 06-01-2017 at 06:40 AM.

  5. #5
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    area-51 RC
    Posts
    833
    Quote Originally Posted by PahviNalle View Post
    Yeah batteries are 2 runs old and the antenna should be fine all thought the blue antenna is full of super glue don't ask why.
    But so as SummitonSlinger said he gets less range on his Summit than on other models so the 5 channels might shorten the range.
    Also my receiver box is full of wires so the antenna wire pretty cramped but don't we all have a cramped receiver box.
    Channels should not matter at all. I fly with a ten channel on a 35% aircraft , it will go out of sight before my link is lost. You should keep any wires away from your receiver antenna , this can and will give you some grief . Did the antenna get broken ? How long have you had the truck ?


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

  6. #6
    RC Competitor
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Finland
    Posts
    88
    The antenna is not broken and the truck is very old and i remember the range not being as good as my slashes

  7. #7
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    area-51 RC
    Posts
    833
    Quote Originally Posted by PahviNalle View Post
    The antenna is not broken and the truck is very old and i remember the range not being as good as my slashes
    Am radio . Those are not much good.


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

  8. #8
    RC Racer
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    France
    Posts
    109
    did you try to rebind the Rx and the radio ?
    "souvent fauché toujours marteau !"

  9. #9
    RC Turnbuckle Jr. Briber's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    St. Peters, MO
    Posts
    3,453
    There has been several threads on this topic ive read and been a part of. What Ive come to realize through experience with the different model tx&rx's is the red TQ systems have a much smaller range than the blue TQi radio systems. My wifes red tq will only go about 2 houses or yards before its outta range. My TQi systems both TSM & non TSM versions will drive outta sight before they loose range. So unless you had a greater range previously then all of a sudden its reduced, then a short range is normal with the TQ systems from my experience and others Ive read...

    92.5 mph Rustler (Rusty 1.0 R.I.P.)
    78 mph on 4s/93 on 6s(Rusty 2.0)
    86.9 mph Stampede 4x4
    Just need one more rc, then Ill be done...

  10. #10
    RC Competitor
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Finland
    Posts
    88
    Hmm that might be it thank you for the answer and knowledge

  11. #11
    RC poster
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Posts
    1
    My Slash only goes 20feet.

  12. #12
    RC poster
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Location
    Alameda, CA
    Posts
    2
    After I put in the Dewalt motor (Purchased from Kershaw Designs) in my summit, my range was horrible when driving back towards me. Same issues as the original post. Doing a rebind is a good idea.
    Last edited by TrxRCMan; 07-10-2017 at 03:53 PM.

  13. #13
    RC Enthusiast
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Location
    Kansas
    Posts
    26
    How long is the blue antenna tube? I've seen some traxxas vehicles come with one only a few inches long and others near a foot long (both 2.4ghz). If you have the long blue tube then pull the rubber cap and see if the center coax is at the top, or shine a flashlight through the tube to observe the metal sleeve. If it's not up there pull the receiver box lid and see if there is antenna coax coiled up in the box and get the end up to the tip of the tube just under the rubber cap. If you have the short blue tube, but have cable coiled up in the receiver box then order the long tube and feed it up through there. There is a difference in range between tq and tqi transmitters, but having the receiving portion of the antenna which is the short metal sleeve and center coated extension that protrudes from it only an inch above the chassis can significantly diminish the range especially when traveling different directions. The channel count does not effect range, only latency in control response which is fast enough anyway you cant tell the difference. When you get tired of the traxxas range game get a aircraft radio and receiver and rock and roll.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •