Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RC poster

2S or 3S batteries for trx4

New trx4 but not sure which battery from Traxxas to purchase 2s or 3s?

Thanks
    Last edited by ksb51rl; 05-31-2017 at 10:32 PM. Reason: spelling

RC Enthusiast
    Good question. I'm going to try both and just see how it feels. What I like is though is that in addition to my fat 2S lipos, I can also run all of my skinny 3S 2200 lipos I use in my airplanes and boats. That small of a battery will help save some weight too. We'll see how it goes.

I run mine on 2s, IMO it's perfect for most wheeling. 3s is crazy, you're pushing roughly 15 mph.
    For rock crawling and slower more technical stuff, 2s is great. For open areas and trail running, 3s lipo is best.
    Manager at LHS ~7 Years. I've seen some stuff lol

RC Turnbuckle Jr. mwe-maxxowner's Avatar
    I'll be running 3s on mine unless all them are dead. Haha. I ran my telly on 3s and 4s with a 21t titan geared as low as would physically fit.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk
    460, straightpipes, buried throttle, nuff said :D

RC Qualifier
    I only have some 2s 2200mah batts right now so thats what I will run. I wouldn't mind grabbing at least 1 3s though for trailing.

RC poster
    Ok I ran the truck with both 2s and 3s batteries on level ground and some medium rough terrain. The 3s battery will do wheelies from a dead start in high gear and spin all four tire’s in high and low in any situation. The 2s will not rase the front end at all and is sluggish in the rough but still spins the wheels just not as fast.

3s for me all the way

Rick

RC poster
    Run mine on 2S. I don't really see the need to go faster. I'll leave the bigger batteries for my fast toys.

RC Enthusiast
    I've run both. 3S works fine but requires a lighter touch on the throttle for scale crawling or is otherwise really fast. The ESC runs quite a bit hotter just crawling around on 3S. Kudos to Traxxas for giving us the option though. Options are always good.

I would like to get it on a castle esc and adjust the throttle curve. Or maybe just dialing down the sensitivity on the tqi might do it. The throttle won't get touchy until you give it more.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by OffroadDave View Post
    I've run both. 3S works fine but requires a lighter touch on the throttle for scale crawling or is otherwise really fast. The ESC runs quite a bit hotter just crawling around on 3S. Kudos to Traxxas for giving us the option though. Options are always good.
    Yea I did notice it get pretty warm on 3s also. Will the clip fan for the vxl esc work with it?

Quick question, does the xl5 HV esc have any ports on it? Aside from changing the modes is there any programmability mentioned in the manual? Do you think it is a Traxxas unit or rebranded Castle?
    MAN, Use Common Sense.
    Outside? THERE IS NO BOX !

3s, just taking it easy on throttle. Assuming you can still go as slow if u want when crawling as on 2s

RC Competitor
    I ran for 2 hours today on a 2s 7600 and charged it up when I got home and it only took 4200mah. Im going to get a couple 3s 5000 batteries here when I find them.

RC Competitor
    Im running a 2s 4600 shorty and getting almost 2 hours of crawling

RC Competitor
    bought a 3s and a 2s at the same time i bought my truck, both venom 5400mah. started with the 3s and got about 2 hours+ runtime with it. switched to the 2s, and the rig seems sluggish. lol. nice for more technical stuff tho, as the 3s makes it jump when you so much as breathe on the trigger.

Accepting requests for bashing at GREENWOOD BASHPLEX in Pittsburgh PA!! Check the thread in the track buddy forum and reply there or pm
    The truck is fast (for a scaler) on 2s. 3s is a little too much for crawling on rocks, but is nice for the loose stuff
    Ya can't polish fertilizer...

Quote Originally Posted by rag6 View Post
    The truck is fast (for a scaler) on 2s. 3s is a little too much for crawling on rocks, but is nice for the loose stuff
    Newbie question .... on 3s could you not just ease on throttle to go as slow as 2s when crawling, in low gear, in crawler mode on ESC?

On 3s what you need to do, IMO, is adjust the throttle sensitivity when you want to go slow, which is easily done on the tqi. It makes the throttle less touchy at light trigger throw. Or you can go to 70/30. Basically giving you more trigger movement per a certain amount of throttle, making fine throttle control easier.

Accepting requests for bashing at GREENWOOD BASHPLEX in Pittsburgh PA!! Check the thread in the track buddy forum and reply there or pm
    Quote Originally Posted by jeteffect View Post
    Newbie question .... on 3s could you not just ease on throttle to go as slow as 2s when crawling, in low gear, in crawler mode on ESC?
    On 3s, you will not have as much low speed control as on 2s. Being that you can't adjust the throttle curve on the new xl5, you could gear the motor way down and get some of that fine control back. You will lose some top speed in high gear, but the truck is super fast in high on 3s already so no big deal. Adjusting Throttle sensitivity will do absolutely nothing. It only adjusts how far the trigger is pulled before the motor starts. Not how finely you can control the throttle.

I would suggest gearing down as much as you can if using 3s on the rocks. I did this with my ascender when I switched to 3s, and it really helped make me much smoother on my throttle inputs in high traction situations. When I came back home (not many rocks here) and was running in loose dirt again, I had to gear back up to get my wheelspeed back up to make it up the mostly dirt hills here.
    Ya can't polish fertilizer...

RC Enthusiast
    Guys

In the process of considering the TRX-4. Regarding batteries, is everybody running Traxxas lipos?

Is anybody using non Traxxas lipos? What are the pros and cons?

I really do not want to buy a dedicated charger for the purpose of charging the Traxxas ones. I see their connector has changed since the Mini Revo. Can I get away with other lipos and soldering the new type of connector and using a charging lead with my balance charger?

Thanks in advance.

Cheers
    Etops

RC Competitor
    I run shorty and full size 2s packs from my other cars and trucks with a deans connector and use the balance plug to run my winch. I put a deans on the trx4

RC Enthusiast
    Solo1

Any affect on the water proofing of the truck and lipo connectors esp the exposed balance connector?

Can you fully immerse this thing in fresh water? How about at the beach?

Cheers
    Etops

RC Competitor
    Well it is a truck not a submarine! Lol but i tend to like rock crawling and am not a mudder so i usually stay out of anything too deep but with my slash and the same type of setup ive filled the inside with snow and washed it out with the hose so---

RC Enthusiast
    Solo1

Judging by some of the review videos, it might as well be a submarine!

Anyway, just bit the bullet. Will run mine with XT60 plugs but most of by lipos are 3s for flying. I have alot of 2200mah. See what happens when I get this TRX-4 in hand.

Cheers
    Etops

RC Competitor
    You could always make a short connecter from the new style to whatever you have too

RC Racer
    Since it is a trail truck, I'd just run 2S. You'll get more control when it comes to slow crawling. You might want to use 3S when you're in more open areas...

RC Competitor
    Since higher voltage also means more amps (and thus torque) I decided to go Yellow RC 5000 mAh 3s lipo... With traxxas link installed it's a breeze to tinker with throttle control etc. 👍🏻
    Not driven too much yet, but run time is amazing with this battery and with adjusted throttle control popping wheelies all the time is not an issue... 😬
    It's all a matter of preference I think, but on 3s it's a really really good trail/scale truck! 💪🏻

But I can imagine hardcore crawlers would prefer 2s, thankfully everything is possible with this truck... and that is exactly why we all love it so much right? 😉

2 s I didn't buy it to go fast
    Slash, Stampede,Craniac,X2 TRX4 ,ford gt 4 tec 2.0

RC Racer
    ^^^^^
    Well said GuidoS79!

I agree. It crawls just fine on 3s. People really should not have to worry about not having enough low speed control on 3s. It's really pretty good. It's even better on 2s, extra controllable, but perfectly fine on 3s.

It's a blast to be able to switch gears and just rip up a hill with authority on 3s. Having wheel speed when you want/need it is really so much fun!

I have one 3s 2200mah Gens Ace battery, and get maybe 35-40 min of run time. I'll be getting one more soon.

I pretty much run it on 3s exclusively. I'm really not interested in running on 2s at all.

The truck is a blast, and on 3s it's so much fun.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by OffroadDave View Post
    ... I can also run all of my skinny 3S 2200 lipos I use in my airplanes and boats. That small of a battery will help save some weight too. We'll see how it goes.
    Yes, 3S only here unless my 3S all drained, then 2s. Been running only with non-Traxxas 2200mah 3S lipos, keep the weight lower, running XT-60 plug adapter for now, will solder XT60 on to ESC later. Crawls great, got the Traxxas Link for adjustments, learn to control throttle finger and/or go to smaller pinion gear. Love the 2-speed too!

RC Enthusiast
    Guys

Not really wanting to purchase the Traxxas Lipos as I have lipos up to the eyeballs!

I am an XT60 user and dont want to solder that connector on directly onto the ESC on Day 1, perhaps. If I make an adapater, what's the part number of the High Voltage Connector that will plug into the stock connector?

My local TRAXXAS supplier, told me that Charging Cable with Balance Lead #2938 is now discontinued! I find this hard to believe and is it an excuse to they want to sell me the dedicated Traxxas charger? Can anybody confirm? I may want to buy Traxxas Lipos somewhere down the line and would like to use my balance chargers instead of buying another. Thanks.

Etops
    Last edited by etopsflight; 07-01-2017 at 05:29 AM.

RC Competitor
    I have a yellow RC 3s lipo with trx connector, fits the standard esc connector beautifully...
    I can't think of a reason why you should buy a traxxas lipo if you want to use your own non-traxxas charger.
    I have a different charger too which can show me exact voltages of all cells, because I like to be in control of my storage and charging process.
    Buying a traxxas lipo only makes sense if you indeed have a traxxas charger too, and just want to connect your lipo and let the charger do everything for you...

But hey, nothing wrong with either option... these are just my thoughts...

you guys talked me into a 3s
    Slash, Stampede,Craniac,X2 TRX4 ,ford gt 4 tec 2.0

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by etopsflight View Post
    Guys

Not really wanting to purchase the Traxxas Lipos as I have lipos up to the eyeballs!

I am an XT60 user and dont want to solder that connector on directly onto the ESC on Day 1, perhaps. If I make an adapater, what's the part number of the High Voltage Connector that will plug into the stock connector?

My local TRAXXAS supplier, told me that Charging Cable with Balance Lead #2938 is now discontinued! I find this hard to believe and is it an excuse to they want to sell me the dedicated Traxxas charger? Can anybody confirm? I may want to buy Traxxas Lipos somewhere down the line and would like to use my balance chargers instead of buying another. Thanks.

Etops
    Your dealer may be correct, Traxxas does not list it on their site and almost everyone is out of stock online. I did a search and after a few minutes I found that Summit Racing has them in stock... If I were you I'd grab 2 of them while they have them.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/txx-2938
    Last edited by ScoJac; 07-01-2017 at 09:13 AM.

RC Enthusiast
    ScoJac

Thanks for the tip. If Traxxas are pushing you to use their own lipos and chargers, looks like I will be modifying my TRX4 to take XT60 connector. I already have three lipo balance chargers and buying a dedicated Traxxas unit just does not make economic sense.

Those balance leads are not cheap for what they are either! Not a necessity if I don't buy Traxxas Lipos....

Given you can't buy these generation 2 High Voltage Connectors, I can't make an adapter either! Somebody suggested the first generation connector but I highly doubt the 1st will plug into 2nd. Can somebody confirm here?

Still awaiting my TRX4 to be back in stock so I can wait a little while. Not sure I am will be able to test it right after getting it if I can not power it!

Cheers
    Etops
    Last edited by etopsflight; 07-02-2017 at 08:42 AM.

RC Competitor
    Not sure what you mean, but I have a 3s lipo battery with an 'old' traxxas connector (without ID wires) plugged into the TRX-4's original XL5 HV ESC. Works perfect!

RC Enthusiast
    GuidoS79

So what you are saying, the first and second generation Traxxas connectors are interchangeable and compatible? Please can somebody confirm this, with photos if possible. Thanks.

Cheers
    Etops

RC Competitor
    GuidoS79

So what you are saying, the first and second generation Traxxas connectors are interchangeable and compatible? Please can somebody confirm this, with photos if possible. Thanks.

Cheers
    Etops
    This works for me, old TRX connector on my LiPo and new connector on my ESC!

First and second generation Traxxas connectors are interchangeable and compatible? Please can somebody confirm this, with photos if possible. Thanks.
    They are fully interchangeable.
    Sla2hP4deXSummitRusty2TRX4Bigfoot#14TEC2.0Rally

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by SummitonSlingrs View Post
    They are fully interchangeable.
    Guys

Thanks for the replies. I picked mine up today from local supplier RCMart and have only tried it out at home using 2200mah from my mini e-Revo.

Connector worked fine and due to poor weather here in Hong Kong no real testing will take place until next week. Need to make up an adapter to take my XT60's.

This truck looks like it will last a while for crawling and bashing.

Etops

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast