Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RC poster

TRX 4 Tower Hobbies Delivery Delay

Hey everyone I'm new here and this is my first post. So I just callled Tower Hobbies because my TRX4 preorder went from early June delivery to early July delivery. I asked why the delay and the representative said it came directly from Traxxas. How is everyone getting there's so early? Is the delay only from Tower Hobbies?

Every dealer (including Tower) had an allocation from Traxxas that's why they didn't let Great Plains distribute, lots of sources small and large. Check your local hobby town .

Hang up and Drive
    HANG UP AND DRIVE!
    Slash 2wd 4x4
    PRO MT Yeti 4x4

well that's a bummer.

i sure hope this one doesn't go like the X-maxx did. Hundreds of people pre-ordered on Tower Hobbies and traxxas sends them all to the LHS's where they just sat on the shelf. Then Johnny Newb walks in and buys one on an impulse while the people that really cared have to wait another month to get theirs from Tower.
    rizzodtheRCvlogger - www.youtube.com/user/rizz0d

VERY ANNOYING.

Perhaps we could get some clarification from an employee on why this is happening?

Funny that Hobby Town can get them before Tower, Hobby Town employees always push Helion-branded RCs over Traxxas to new customers.
    Submarine Qualified, Chief Inducted, Navy Retired

RC poster
    Just spoke to a Traxxas Rep. He told me that this is the most popular rc they have put out in years and to expect a delay. Also brick and mortar shops have priority over online dealers. Looks like I'm screwed

RC Enthusiast
    I had one pre-ordered from Tower but cancelled. I ordered one from Hobbytown in Holland Ohio last Friday and it came in yesterday. Tower is now showing early July.

Power to the LHS's!!
    Let me apologize to those of you who don't have access to a LHS.
    Owning a small business I have seen to many eaten up by Big Box and/or Online retailers. Some of that is their own failure to evolve too.

With that said I do believe Traxxas could have rewarded people maybe like Greatscott who have been carring/advancing this genre of RC for a decade. I'm not saying they should give one away but make an offer to the industry's leading private consumers to have it in there hands first....
    Sla2hP4deXSummitRusty2TRX4Bigfoot#14TEC2.0Rally

RC Champion
    I say good for Traxxas and the LHS. The LHS are doing everything they can to survive. As near as I understand it, Traxxas is trying to go as direct to the LHS as possible. Saves everybody money. The problem I have is I cant get any of the numerous LHS in my area to support the crawler/scaler world. They sell a typical crawler/scaler for $400.00 and the typical guy will put as much as $400 to $1,000 in it. I have shown them photos of some of the crawling events with up to 80 guys and there rigs. There is one LHS that caters only to the crawler/scaler market and he is killing it. Unfortunately he is 60 miles from me. I feel like i'm trying to feed prosperity to the LHS with a crow bar, Very frustrating. Good for Traxxas to help out the LHS.
    "Better Old and Devious than Young and Exuberant"

Quote Originally Posted by SummitonSlingrs View Post
    Power to the LHS's!!
    I agree with the sentiment, but I don't see a big chain store like Hobby Town as a LHS/local business? Neverminfing the fact that most of the people that work there have problems spelling "RC", and know even less about the hobby.

We do have an independant LHS, but he has a contract through GP, because of this, he can't get Traxxas gear in any kind of a timely manner since Traxxas change the way the distrubute their product. There are two other independant LHSs that are within an hour's driving distance that have the exact same problem.

Quote Originally Posted by SummitonSlingrs View Post
    With that said I do believe Traxxas could have rewarded people maybe like Greatscott who have been carring/advancing this genre of RC for a decade. I'm not saying they should give one away but make an offer to the industry's leading private consumers to have it in there hands first....
    That would be awesome! But, for the unicorn that is a Traxxas branded solid axle trail rig, something that we (I) have have asking for for years, that is packed with cool features at a reasonable price, I am willing to pay normal price for it.
    Last edited by Greatscott; 06-01-2017 at 01:20 PM.

RC Qualifier
    That's too bad you guys have their wait even longer now, bummer. If they really are giving priority to the lhs rather than online thats good for the lhs for sure, I think they can always use more business. Its great to see traxxas saying they have a large demand for the trx-4. Maybe this will encourage more scale models for then.

here we go again.

i just called Tower, and they said we're looking at another month before they get them and they have no information as to why. i called 2 hobby shops in my state and they both have a trx4 sitting on the shelf for sale (one of them has 3 in fact). great idea to give them to the hobby shops first so they can sit on the shelf and collect dust.

Yeah, I might have to bight the bullet and see of the Hobby Toon that is forty miles away has them in stock. Don't want to, but I also don't want to wait two more months to get my hands on one of these...

Update...

I just called that Hobby Toon, the guy said they had a demo model at the store, but the production models would not be available to the public until late June. I tried telling him that production models were being shipped/sold now, but he said I was wrong...

Many thanks to E-Maxxdude for your help! Sadly, those were all preorders... Or, just too far to drive.
    Last edited by Greatscott; 06-02-2017 at 01:31 PM.

RC poster
    I canceled my tower pre-order this morning, And pick up a Red Trx-4 today from a hobby shop

RC Racer
    Had tha same thing happen to me today as greatscott. My lhs does not even have a demo!! So i drove over an hour each way to be told to come back at the end of the month. Lol im going to wait i guess and see if any problems come up.

RC poster
    Anyone else preorder online? Have you received your TRX4?

RC poster
    I ordered may 4th from Tower, hoping it would be in for my birthday mid may... no luck.
    delivery estimate changed to early june, then later change to early july.

I'm good with LHS getting it before online stores. but its unfair to force "support your local hobby store" when it's 1 hr
    away (08234). Theres no way i'm going to drive 2 hrs to get a replacement part.

I've recently gotten back into the RC arena after 30 years... and my only purchases were Traxxas (rustler vxl and stampede vxl).

I hope Traxxas is reading these messages and finds a way to improve delivery times.

Thanks

PP

i don't have a problem with the delivery times. i know things take time.

i have a problem with trucks sitting on the shelf at LHS's going to waste for months while there's a huge line of pre-orders waiting to be filled.

Traxxas Employee
    I can't imagine these will stay on any shelves for long. People are driving an hour or more to find them.

RC poster
    I've called the only hobby shop around and they said that they still haven't received any stock

saw this on rc crawler, relevant...

That is funny, because it is true.

But, because I am in that exact boat, it is depressing as well.

RC poster
    If anyone is desperate ebay already has scalpers https://www.ebay.com/itm/122538199644

RC Qualifier
    Dang...I should clean mine up and throw it back in the box lol.

OK...

Tower Hobbies' stock status for the TRX4 says 'Early July'.... It is now July 1st....

RC Competitor
    I'm in europe (the Netherlands) and when I first called my LHS (a small traxxas dealership, there are about 4 in my country and this is the smallest of them) had never heard of the TRX-4.
    They called their importer for traxxas in europe (RC Connect) which is located in my country (probably because of the great harbour in rotterdam, everything ships from there in europe), and they immediately told them a demo of the TRX-4 was on it's way to them. That was mid May.
    I got the call 2 weeks later the demo arrived, went to see it, fell in love and ordered.
    LHS got a delivery date of also early july.

But the call came just a week later, LHS mentioned something about a shipment by air.
    Picked mine up mid June.

Strange about this is that all the big dealers in my country still don't have it in the store or online!

I order all my parts at the biggest one because they have huge stock, and receive stock daily from traxxas.
    Actually ordered my red diff covers and D-rings there because it's faster!

I think it's great that traxxas somehow prefers shipping through smaller LHS, I know for a fact that the guy who sold me mine wouldn't have sold a single unit if the big boys already started delivering.

I still go to my small LHS for help, info and other parts like batteries, wheels etc.

I think stores like that should never disappear, and I applaud traxxas for trying to give them a fair chance.

It's a bummer for some of you though, who have to drive for hours to get to a LHS and rather shop online... I hope they get delivered soon so you can finally enjoy yours!

I got mine locally. He had 5 of them. he's just a small mom and pop store packed to the gills. I love it there.
    Slash, Stampede,Craniac,X2 TRX4 ,ford gt 4 tec 2.0

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by rizz0d View Post
    saw this on rc crawler, relevant...

Very very funny, I like it. Have the big time itch to get one.

RC Racer
    Sorry but very, very, very limited sympathy. BUY FROM YOUR LHS!!! It goes wromg, and you break something, do you call Tower hobbies? Do you take it to your LHS and expect free advice and support. But why should they? You've not bought it from them! If your auto broke down would you take it to your local garage who you'd not bought it from and expect them to spend an hour of their time investigating the fault. Only for them to tell you the problem and you then say "Thanks I'll buy that spare online". I rest my case....
    Last edited by ksb51rl; 07-03-2017 at 06:15 AM. Reason: *s

TRX 4 Tower Hobbies Delivery Delay

Quote Originally Posted by golden14 View Post
    Sorry but very, very, very limited sympathy. BUY FROM YOUR LHS!!! It goes wromg, and you break something, do you call Tower hobbies? Do you take it to your LHS and expect free advice and support. But why should they? You've not bought it from them! If your auto broke down would you take it to your local garage who you'd not bought it from and expect them to spend an hour of their time investigating the fault. Only for them to tell you the problem and you then say "Thanks I'll buy that spare online". I rest my case....
    Chill out dude. Some people don't have a good LHS to go to. This guy already said his LHS doesn't have any. When he does eventually get it from Tower before how do you know he is gonna take it to his LHS for advise only to buy more from Tower. Maybe his LHS will show him the part he needs which is in stock and offer him a fair price so he will buy it on the spot. Maybe his LHS is useless as many of them are and will not have the part and have to order it and then sell it at a 150% markup as many do. Who knows! A bunch of what ifs in your unnecessarily aggressive post.
    Last edited by ksb51rl; 07-03-2017 at 06:16 AM. Reason: *s
    Rustler | MERV | Summit | Slash Ultimate | Slash

So, you sound hostile, but you don't know me, or my situation.
    1. My LHS has been messed up by Traxxas' new distribution plan, Pual is contracted through GP, so he cannot get Traxxas equipment, ANYTHING, until Traxxas releases it to the major distributors. As a small shop, Paul is last in line for most new stuff, and is not expecting to see any TRX4s until August.

2. I have sold off several rigs and RC equipment to buy my TRX4, none of the buyers have been local, so my money to buy this truck is in PayPal, and very few LHSs take PayPal.

3. I am an avid supporter of my LHS, in the last year I have bought two new radio systems (DX5R and DX6e), several sets of scale wheels and tires, and goodness knows what other parts and pieces, I spent over one hundred bucks in there this weekend. Most customers have to pay for anything that is special ordered, I am one of the few that can ask for something and pay for it when it arrives, THAT is how much I support my LHS.

4. Paul has a pretty good group of guys, but with no bragging at all, I have been in this hobby a lot longer than they have, and know a lot more about it. Paul himself is pretty good, knows a lot about aircraft and has a great knowledge of various RC cars, and has been in the hobby longer than I have, so I would give the nod to him. I do ask questions when I am getting ready to buy a new product, like my radios, but BECAUSE I SUPPORT MY LOCAL HOBBY SHOP, they know I am not trying to price match with the internet, and that I will buy the product from them.

5. If I did buy it from Paul's shop, I would not take it there if something went wrong, I would call Traxxas and rely on their legendary customer support.

6. Hobby Town, in no way, shape, or form, is to be considered a "local hobby shop".

Lastly, why EXACTLY do you think I would want your sympathy? That is pretty arrogant, don't you think?

... and now I rest my case.
    Last edited by ksb51rl; 07-03-2017 at 06:17 AM. Reason: *s

RC Competitor
    Wow, relax people... I think there is nothing wrong with online retailers as long as they don't get the chance to compete small LHS out of business.
    I think Traxxas found a way to do that, which seems pretty ok but has disadvantages for some customers which sucks!

I believe Traxxas also earns more money this way because the giants like tower get discounts from them for buying in bulk.

Their motives will not all be from the kindness of their hearts, but this is a potential win win situation...

I understand this bums some customers out, let's all respect that... like for example greatscott also respects his LHS, while buying his TRX-4 at tower!

And I also rest my case, although I don't really have one! ;-)

RC Racer
    I bought my TRX-4 at my LHS...It costs me $30 more plus tax to buy from the LHS. I had two reasons for spending the extra cash...First, to support my LHS...Second, because the likelihood of getting the TRX-4 sooner was much greater buying locally rather than online.

However, I am sad to say that the LHS in my town that I have been supporting for the last 14 years is unbelievably going out of business....I bought some stuff there just this last Friday and most of the store was already sold off...It was a complete store on the 20th of June when I picked up my TRX-4...Even the display cabinets, etc. were gone (sold).

Super bummer
    Last edited by ExplorerNate87; 07-03-2017 at 02:38 AM.

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by ExplorerNate87 View Post
    I bought my TRX-4 at my LHS...It costs me $30 more plus tax to buy from the LHS. I had two reasons for spending the extra cash...First, to support my LHS...Second, because the likelihood of getting the TRX-4 sooner was much greater buying locally rather than online.

However, I am sad to say that the LHS in my town that I have been supporting for the last 14 years is unbelievably going out of business....I bought some stuff there just this last Friday and most of the store was already sold off...It was a complete store on the 20th of June when I picked up my TRX-4...Even the display cabinets, etc. were gone (sold).

Super bummer
    Sad to hear that... hope mine keeps on going for a long time... but never certain!

settle down people. can't we all just get along. I feel lucky to pick My TRX4 local at my LHS.
    Slash, Stampede,Craniac,X2 TRX4 ,ford gt 4 tec 2.0

Quote Originally Posted by lotust251 View Post
    settle down people. can't we all just get along. I feel lucky to pick My TRX4 local at my LHS.
    There will be NO GETTING ALONG until I have had coffee!!!

Sorry about the rant, he just struck an abnormal nerve. I believe 100% in supporting our LHSs. But, these are weird times, and until Paul gets his supply situation worked out, most of my Traxxas purchases will likely be through Tower. I am in there quite a bit to buy parts, and have repeatedly annoyed him by asking, "When are you going to get the TRX4 in?" Seeing that he wasn't going to get one in anytime soon, I started hording money into my PP account to buy from Tower.

For the most part, I accept the added cost of LHSs as a convenience fee, I would rather make the 30 minute trek to Paul's rather than waiting a week for the part to arrive in the mail, and hope it is what I ordered. Also, you can find solutions to problems there. I make my winches out of 1/18 scale crawler transmissions and have to make custom spools for each one. I was looking on line for some ready-made spools, but $25 for something that might work is an expensive gamble. While getting some parts on Friday I saw some HR aluminum wheel extenders for the AX10, and it hit me that it would be VERY easy to modify those into spools, and for $18 for four, not bad for the price. With just a little modification they make excellent spools, and would not have found them if it were not for browsing through my LHS.

With that, there is one thing that I just will not buy from a LHS, that is batteries. The LHS carries a brand I do not like, or they are twice as much as they would be on line. I accept the brink-n-mortar mark up, but it does have its limit.
    Last edited by Greatscott; 07-03-2017 at 10:33 AM.

RC poster
    ---
    so lets see... buy from LHS for probably msrp if not higher. LHS i have to pay sales tax which is an additional 40. the advantage to tower is no sales tax, no shipping, and i don't have to lay down all at once, can easy pay it . one draw back though is that pretty much all the new rcs are NOT enabled for the Tower Discount, which was very good incentive to buy from tower.

RC poster
    So I ended up finding and purchasing a TRX4 at a LHS. Within 30 minutes of light backyard driving the steering servo crapped out. I called Traxxas and they gladly sent me a free replacement servo. Great customer service.

RC poster

Placed another order....

Hi guys,

Well I waited for Tower to get the car since may 4th.

I'm guessing they will have them in 1-3 weeks for shipping based upon their status change to "order pending"

I wandered the Net and found RCSUPUPERSTORE they had stock avail and would ship it out tomorrow.
    order canceled and order placed .

hopefully will be posting delivered when it arrives.

take care

pp

RC Racer
    Hope you get it very soon. I am excited for you, because I really dig mine, so I think you are going to enjoy yours quite a bit too.

Man, I feel bad for those who have been forced to wait so long because of ordering with Tower Hobbies.

RPP seems to have them in stock at the moment.
    Get it? Got it? Good.
    Nitro Is Hazardous To Your Health.
    4x4 Jeep-Pede:
    http://monster.traxxas.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=165913

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast