Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    RC Turnbuckle Jr. mwe-maxxowner's Avatar
    Not real sure I need to gear up on an already stressed ESC though.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk
    460, straightpipes, buried throttle, nuff said :D

RC Competitor
    I wish I still had the ESC from my XMaxx 8S but I traded the motor and ESC for slash 2wd. Then turned around and strait traded it for a Losi DBXL! YES A STRAIT TRAD! Or I would have given it to you for good discount.

Quote Originally Posted by rizz0d View Post
    18/54 is pretty conservative. guys were going WAY over that on the original 6s ESC. I think the vxl-6s is plenty up to the task, it's just some flaw that causes the random fire.

if you're in a small area the stock 15/54 is okay, but once you get a little room you'll want a bit more.
    Hmm. With that said, the first owner had it a while and drove it a good bit. Think it's safe to say mine will be fine?

I guess a better question to ask is, did the ones that went up in smoke always do it early on?

I just don't want to see my new toy go up in flames, but I also don't want to drop $200 on an esc right now. Haba

RC Competitor
    Or you can pick up a castle XLX for around $170 if you look hard enough and can out perform the Max5 in every way and when the 1/5th power bug bites you your ready and will only need the motor

hard to say. mine ran flawlessly for a year and a half so i thought i was in the clear, then one day it burst into flames doing 3mph.

The fires all seemed random. some early, some late, some in the middle.

If you're gonna replace the esc anyways, might as well run it, right? the longer it lasts the longer till you have to buy the new one.

max6 is $150, set it and forget it.
    The question for me is, do they go so violently that they damage the truck? I'm fine considering the vxl a consumable item. The max 5 or Max 6 is on my list to investigate. I just already have castle software, field card, etc. Perhaps the HW could come with a program card. I like field programming.

Quote Originally Posted by KurtHafner View Post
    Or you can pick up a castle XLX for around $170 if you look hard enough and can out perform the Max5 in every way and when the 1/5th power bug bites you your ready and will only need the motor
    I've seen the xlx for that price range. I don't think it's waterproof though. I've been very successful waterproofing my own escs with conformal coating and with corrosion x, but those were mmp escs that I got pretty cheap. I didn't mind taking a chance on them. I think my best course of action may be to sell the vxl 6s and buy the traxxas 8s esc. I wish there was a power up option for that. I'm not sure anybody would want to buy the firestarter.

I might want to do the whole power up kit, but BAGEEZUS it's expensive. I could buy another slash for that. Lol. I'll probably price the pieces individually when I can and see what that comes out to, plus an esc price.

Last edited by mwe-maxxowner; 06-15-2017 at 11:13 AM.

Error out?

They are already on eBay for 160ish. I may run what I have a while, and watch the eBay market for the vxl8s and see what happens with them. Then of course there are those who will be dropping an xlx in right off the bat. If the xlx was waterproof this would be easier.

Last edited by mwe-maxxowner; 06-15-2017 at 11:57 AM.

I see. I wasn't aware any traxxas escs had an ability to update. I can't figure out why they don't just leave all of the escs to Castle. That's always a home run.

RC Qualifier
    Buy a Max 6 and save ya self money. The chap below uses one and treats the X-Maxx harder than anyone. 😁

https://youtu.be/Ap6k9J58ff0

I'm not sure it's enough savings over the xlx to make sense to me though. Decisions decisions!

I thought the max6 was limited to 6s though for some reason. I see now that it is 160 amp and 8s. Hmm...

Last edited by mwe-maxxowner; 06-15-2017 at 01:10 PM.

Well, the motor is locked slap up. So simple, yes, cheap, no.

With that being the case, I think I'm best to just save up some and buy the whole power up kit.

But, by the time I buy a motor, and an esc, I won't be far from buying the entire power up kit. I don't trust this ESC as far as I can throw the truck.

There are also two chipped teeth on the front ring gear. It still spins smoothly though. The shafts are kind of rusty, but that's really just cosmetic.

Ah, power up kit doesn't include a motor. Drat.

RC Competitor
    Don't worry about the motor run the 1600 KV it's faster the. The 8s motor both on 6s and 8s

RC Competitor
    Also here in Columbia there is a brand new 8s motor in stock at a local hobby shop

RC Qualifier
    His motor broke. :-(

The motor is toast. I can turn it if I put pliers on it, but I can't budge it by hand. The drivetrain turns as it should without it.

Since the power up kit still doesn't come with a motor, I probably will actually just get a motor and run this ESC until it quits. I'm tempted to use the motor from my xo1. Haha

I may try to save this one. There is "fuzz" under the cap, and the bearing is frozen up. I need to see if I can find a bearing kit. I haven't tried to pull the rotor yet.

Edit. Probably not a rebuild candidate.

Last edited by mwe-maxxowner; 07-04-2017 at 08:32 AM.

I've found a 980 kv 1/5 scale motor very cheap. I wonder if I could gear back up enough to match the 1600 on 6s. I don't know, that's a lot of kv to make up.

Anybody ever made a 1717 work with the motor mount?

RC Qualifier
    Delete me.

As soon as I make time to throw her back together, I'm in business fellas! My mom, sister, and brother bought me this motor for Christmas. Just gonna run the stock ESC for now. There is a thread a few spots down that has me SERIOUSLY considering running my MMX esc. But honestly unless I can be totally sure it's fine, I hesitate to take a chance on such a fine piece of electronics. I think I could just data log it and start out conservatively, and see what sort of amps I'm pulling, and how hot it gets.

It would be nice if they would allow us to program in a cut off or a "limp mode" of our own choosing when a certain amp limit or temp limit has been reached.

RC poster
    Exactly the same happened to my 1600XL runiiung with MAX6 and 8s. Magnets fell apart and whole motor stopped imedittely causing spur and pinion damage. I went for LEOPARD 58113 motor with custom motor mount. Planning to use MAX5 with it. Motor is still in the post so I'm waiting. Estimated delivery January,24. But there was somebody on this forum who said he is running this setup succesfully geared 37/54.

Will see....

Hopefully soon....
    Last edited by k30dpc; 01-10-2018 at 06:00 AM.

She lives! I still haven't actually driven it, just got the Bluetooth working on the tqi and verified everything works in the house. It's been rotten weather, and I like to go through a little preventive maintenance before letting one loose in the wet.

I disassembled the front and rear and checked on the diffs, and that's about as far as I got. I had intentions of tearing it completely down, cleaning/rebuilding shocks, new bearings, clean each and every part, reassemble with making grease where applicable, a healthy dose of moo slick on...Everything, and some slivers of foam soaked in grease on the diff outputs, motor shaft. However, the bearings I've checked were in decent shape, the diffs are in good shape, so I just buttoned it up for now. I'll drive a while until the bearings are all shot, then tear it down for a full on round of maintenance.

I'm excited to drive it, and am using all stock electronics for now. We'll see how they do.

Last edited by mwe-maxxowner; 03-02-2018 at 01:28 PM.

All I can say is...wow. I took it out to this spot to play some, I'm very impressed. This is some good terrain to really see the plush suspension work. It just floats over this at speed pretty well with little bounce. There are a lot of opportunities here for jumps and wheelies also, tons of fun. With the large tires I have a lot of control in the air.

I'm pretty impressed with the speed and power of the stock motor, gearing, and 6s. I have no need for more. However, I can tell I need better batteries. I'm just using the 25c traxxas 3s packs, and the punch is inconsistent. I can tell it's over discharged sometimes. Sometimes the acceleration is great, sometimes it's a bit weak. I already expected that though.

There are times when I would throttle hard on a "jump" that the rear of the chassis would smack hard against the rock face and throw me off. I'm not sure whether to try experimenting with springs and oil or just deal with this. I do like how it floats over the terrain pretty well as is.

I was still kind of going at it gingerly as I get used to driving it, and working up some courage that it'll be tough enough for some tumbles. Toward the end of my run in was getting braver, taking some bigger jumps and a few rough tumbles. She seems no worse for wear.

I do, however, have a new clicking coming from the rear. It's either the diff, or something to do with the spur gear. I don't have the gear cover on, it almost sounds like I might have a pebble or something lodged underneath the spur gear somewhere. Either way, after I heard it performance didn't seem to suffer at all, and the diff seems to be acting fine.

Overall, very happy. This thing is massive and just rolls over anything in the way. Climbing over huge limbs/downed trees. Runtime on these 5000/25c packs seemed to be in the neighborhood of 30 min, so that was great too.

What's the oem oil in the diff? They are definitely too open for my tastes. Also, do they use the same 30 wt in the shocks they do on all the other models? I may try a touch heavier to slow them down a bit. I think it's really close to perfect and don't want to make drastic changes. I'll try that first to see if I don't get chassis slap as easily on ramps.

One more thing. I'm using the remote from my trx-4, with the Bluetooth enabled. The traxxas link app recognizes the truck as an xmaxx, but I can't seem to get the self righting feature to do anything. Has that been disabled with updates? I can see it being hard on the drivetrain, but I'd still like to use it sometimes. Lol. Flipped it once about 100 yards away with some tough terrain between us.

Last edited by mwe-maxxowner; 03-04-2018 at 05:07 PM.

RC Qualifier
    you should definitely get it. that's a great deal. the only problem is that the X-Maxx almost makes you forget about all your other r/c's. i don't know how to explain it, but it is just different from all my other trucks. almost everything else has been shelved since i got the X. i have a v1 and i beat the tar out of it, check out my YT channel to see the kind of fun i have with it.

as far as what you NEED to upgrade; get those v1 diff ring and pinions out and either put the v2 or the traxxas spiral cut diff gears in it. i run the spiral cuts.

then the vxl-6s ESC...make sure you have a fire extinguisher handy when you run it. i had the fusible link on mine and simply rolling along at 3mph it decided to burst into flames. i run the max6 and no fire yet.

and the last thing you need is a big ramp trust me.

It's actually hilarious that you have to include having a fire extinguisher ready. LOL

So far, so good with the vxl esc.

One thing I've been meaning to ask is, my self fighting feature doesn't work. I have it set up with traxxas link, and the app recognizes that it is an x maxx. The firmware has been updated, but if it matters I'm using the trx4 transmitter.

Is this a feature that was possibly deemed too hard on the drivetrain, and removed after updates? If not, does it require something on my part in the app to set up? I've seen nothing in any menu screen about it. Thanks!

Any ideas on the self righting feature?
    Quote Originally Posted by mwe-maxxowner View Post
    So far, so good with the vxl esc.

One thing I've been meaning to ask is, my self fighting feature doesn't work. I have it set up with traxxas link, and the app recognizes that it is an x maxx. The firmware has been updated, but if it matters I'm using the trx4 transmitter.

Is this a feature that was possibly deemed too hard on the drivetrain, and removed after updates? If not, does it require something on my part in the app to set up? I've seen nothing in any menu screen about it. Thanks!

RC Qualifier
    Doesn’t the 6s not have self righting? Thought it was an 8s exclusive thing. I could, and probably am, wrong on that though

Pretty sure the xmaxx has been self righting since its first debut.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Pretty sure the xmaxx has been self righting since its first debut.

Yeah it has since itís inception. Only difference is it killed the 6S diff.

Quote Originally Posted by Gripdog7205 View Post
    Yeah it has since itís inception. Only difference is it killed the 6S diff.
    That's why I wondered if it was removed through a firmware update, causing my truck to not do it. I'll take the chances with my diffs and upgrade if it becomes necessary.

What's the oem oil in the diff? They are definitely too open for my tastes. Also, do they use the same 30 wt in the shocks they do on all the other models? I may try a touch heavier to slow them down a bit. I think it's really close to perfect and don't want to make drastic changes. I'll try that first to see if I don't get chassis slap as easily on ramps.

One more thing. I'm using the remote from my trx-4, with the Bluetooth enabled. The traxxas link app recognizes the truck as an xmaxx, but I can't seem to get the self righting feature to do anything. Has that been disabled with updates? I can see it being hard on the drivetrain, but I'd still like to use it sometimes. Lol. Flipped it once about 100 yards away with some tough terrain between us.

I'm about to dig this thing back out of storage and order me some new batteries.

Any input on the diffs and the shocks?

Just ordered two of these puppies!

Sent from my Moto Z3 Play using Tapatalk

I still haven't figured anything out about self righting. Has anyone ever encountered it not working?

I believe I'm going to try these things:

Check for fresh updates all around.

Recalibrate the transmitter.

User "X Maxx" posted a thread mentioning yo set the receiver as an 8s in the app, then switch it back to 6s. So I'll give that a shot as well.

In certain situations I'd like to just take my chances and use it. How else am I going to land upgrades??

Sent from my Moto Z3 Play using Tapatalk
    Last edited by mwe-maxxowner; 05-24-2019 at 06:33 AM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast