RC poster

Cant get a connector on my ESC

I like the 4mm bullet connectors that come with many LiPo batteries. I've been using a bullet to TRX adaptor on my Slash for a few years to bash around with. It gets quite hot though. This Sunday (June 4) will be my first time participating in an organized race, so I decided to cut the TRX connector off, and solder a bullet connector on. Thats where my problem started. I was able to solder the gold connectors to the esc wires beautifully, but then after a couple hours fiddling, I decided it was impossible to get the terminals into the red plastic housing. So I removed the terminals, and decided to cut my adaptor in half, and solder the wires to my ESC wires. I can not get the solder to stick to the adaptor wires! Im using a small butane torch, so Im confident its hot enough. Ive tried sand paper. Ive tried flux. Now im stuck with no way to hook the battery to my ESC. I need help quick!

Welcome to the forum and the addiction! You are among a group of people who share the love of the Traxxas Slash 4x4! If you have any questions please feel free to ask. Remember we are here to help!

Why don't you tin the other set of wires? Then all you have to do is put the soldier together.
    Member of the 10,000 + posts club! Here to help!

RC poster
    Thats the first thing I tried. The solder rolls off like the wire isnt hot enough. But the insulation is nearly melting, so im confident its hot enough. Im almost thinking its make of some odd type of metal. The solder sticks to the ESC wires fine.

RC poster
    Im almost tempted to crimp a butt connector on there so I can race, but Im sure those arent designed for that kind of current.

Quote Originally Posted by 70chevelle8 View Post
    Thats the first thing I tried. The solder rolls off like the wire isnt hot enough. But the insulation is nearly melting, so im confident its hot enough. Im almost thinking its make of some odd type of metal. The solder sticks to the ESC wires fine.
    Have you tried adding additional flux? If you're using a typical rosin-core solder, it may not be sufficient. What hardware are you using?

-Shack
    Last edited by shack351; 06-03-2017 at 12:01 AM.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by shack351 View Post
    Have you tried adding additional flux? If you're using a typical rosin-core solder, it may not be sufficient. What hardware are you using?

-Shack
    Bingo. Flux it heat it , solder it . Done

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

RC Qualifier
    Come to think of it , I had trouble one time with soldering , the solder I bought had a high tin content in it . Make sure you have a good electronic grade solder. You will look like a pro every time.

RC poster
    Quick Google search told me I was using lead free solder. Switched to 60/ 40, and.......... same problem. Still using flux. Im almost certain the little pigtail wires on my connector are a different metal. Also is it possible to heat up solder too many times? The tinned ends on my esc wires will no longer melt.

RC Qualifier
    60 40 should be good , not too sure about reheating solder too many times , but it could be possible . I did have trouble with some Chinese wires one time , I did eventually get them work. Sounds like you are doing everything correctly.

RC poster
    For now I decided to crimp on some butt connectors. Ill order some different style bullet connectors, and fix it before the next race.

Those wires on the connector side just look wrong, like they have been heat damaged, or something is on them.
    Submarine Qualified, Chief Inducted, Navy Retired

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    it isn't that the butane torch isn't hot enough, it is not directed enough... get yourself a real soldering iron.... 60 watts will be suffiecient... also, all those junk adapters use sub-par quality for their wire, not like genuine tekin, or deans or even traxxas wires....

RC poster
    The wire was discolored when I stripped it. Heat damage is possible. I run 3s on occasion, which is why im trying to get way from the traxxas to bullet adapter.

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Greatscott View Post
    Those wires on the connector side just look wrong, like they have been heat damaged, or something is on them.
    yup...

Had the same problem wiring up trailer lights on my 1/1.

Only solution was to cut the wire back a few inches to find fresh metal.