Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

What did you do with your TRX-4 today?

Hey guys, it looks like there's enough of us that have picked up TRX-4's that I can start this thread up and going!

Here's my TRX-4 fresh out of the box. I ended up going with the gunmetal color.

I decided to open up both diffs and see how much grease they got from the factory. Turns out as expected, not that much. I wash my trucks of regularly, so I went with some marine grease to help stop rust inside. On a side note, the locker itself is steel, and the diff outputs are supported by bearings on both sides; I'm not sure why people were thinking there's bushings or a plastic locker in there.

Much better.

I couldn't just leave it stock though. I added a Traxxas heatsink to the motor to help it run cooler, and I added an aluminum servo horn in case the going got rough. I also added some new rims and tires to my TRX-4, I like the stock tires, they perform fantastic for stock tires, but I wanted to make mine more unique, and well why not. I went with some Gmade AR6 5 lug aluminum beadlocks and I wrapped them in Pro line Hyrax tires. I love the look of the combo, and the Hyrax tires are unbeatable on the rocks and dirt.

I got a great chance to compare my TRX-4 to the competition. I went out with a few of my friend's rigs out trail ridding and crawling. One friend has a Vaterra Ascender blazer, and the other friend is running a Axial SCX10 II with a Ford body. My TRX-4 was fantastic, the portal axles really shinned in the deep grass and weeds. The two speed and locking diffs really came in handy since we followed a paved trail half of the time getting to various spots. Being able to switch into high gear and unlock the diffs when we hit the pavement was fantastic. I actually used these features constantly, and all went well. The TRX-4 held it's own, There was hardly a single time where I couldn't keep up with the other's, and for nearly box stock, there's so much potential.

Overall I'm extremely impressed with it, it performs fantastic for being just about box stock! Anyhow here's some pictures of my outing with my friends!

Now it's your turn! Post up what you did with your TRX-4 today!
    Last edited by Wolfslash16; 06-03-2017 at 12:47 AM.
    Is owning 27 RC's too many? No way!

RC Champion
    good to know. I was going to buy the SCX10 II a while back and waited for the trx4.
    "Better Old and Devious than Young and Exuberant"

RC Enthusiast
    Hey, this interesting stuff, I have a grease that I use when building my mountain bikes which is also water resistant and stops corrosion, it's Fuchs silkolene, would this be Ok to use on the diffs? Thanks

I went out trail running with a few of my friends again, I had a blast. I love this truck.

RC Qualifier
    I decided to switch out the stock steering servo and ad a bec before my comp next weekend. The stock servo just really didn't have enough torque for even playing around in my little rocks at home.

I torn down my entire TRX-4 down today minus the diffs to re grease everything. The portals really didn't have any grease in them, and the transmission was pretty empty also. I used marine grease to lube everything up, and it made a noticeable difference in quieting down drive train clatter and noise. It's well worth doing IMHO.

I just got the the red diff covers and tow hooks in from Traxxas, I should have them installed on mine here shortly.

RC Qualifier
    Were are you finding these parts? Not even listed online lol

I went out the other night and I had a great time wheeling my TRX-4, for being nearly stock it performs great.

Here's how much grease comes in the portals from the factory. They're well sealed, this is the day after the first picture was taken. None of the portals had water in them.

And the best for last, I installed the red Traxxas parts on my TRX-4, I got the diff covers and tow hooks in red. The diff cover part # is TRA8280R, and the tow hook is TRA8234R.

Last edited by Wolfslash16; 06-08-2017 at 10:50 PM.

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by Perkul8r View Post
    Were are you finding these parts? Not even listed online lol
    parts are listed on the traxxas site, same place as all their other parts.

Wolf! Awesome sunset and red parts! I have red diff covers ordered from LHS should have them in a week or so.

But the latest news is, I just got word MY TRX-4 HAS BEEN SHIPPED! And should be at my door in 6 days!

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfslash16 View Post
    And the best for last, I installed the red Traxxas parts on my TRX-4, I got the diff covers and tow hooks in red.
    See Wolf it all works out in the end. I personally don't think those would look good on the red body being there a little different color red.
    I finally got out and was able to really test it out. I can't believe how good this thing does. This is my first scaler crawler and I am blown away.
    Took some time to chop the front bumper down.

Last edited by SummitonSlingrs; 06-10-2017 at 11:14 PM.
    Sla2hP4deXSummitRusty2TRX4Bigfoot#14TEC2.0Rally

Quote Originally Posted by trxrincon View Post
    Hey, this interesting stuff, I have a grease that I use when building my mountain bikes which is also water resistant and stops corrosion, it's Fuchs silkolene, would this be Ok to use on the diffs? Thanks
    Should be fine. I use the silkolene rg2 on most all my bearings/ring gears when rebuilding them.
    Slash 4x4 lcg(heavily modded), Telluride(modded)gone, TCP, Monster Buggy, Latrax SST(heavily modded), Spartan, "My Summit" pic of that posted in the gallery........and some other things.

RC poster
    Yesterday my TRX 4 got a new kid into the hobby.

Some friends came over yesterday and brought their two kids. The son is 7 and he was super stoked when I showed him my TRX4. At first he was just running it around the yard. After he got comfortable I took him over and the two of us designed a little crawler course. We had a competition for the next hour and by the time we were finished it was all he could talk about. Both parents were shaking their heads at the end because they knew he was hooked. The dad was stoked because the kid plays a lot of video games and this is another reason for him to be outside.

RC Enthusiast
    Finally got some quality trail time with mine. It's great and I love it. Just running it bone stock. Drivetrain is super quiet. I'll probably crack open the driveline parts and grease up the gears soon.

RC Competitor
    swapped out the motor for a tekin 35t i had in my 1/16 summit basher, swapped out the servo for a new savox 1230sg, added a castle bec (after hearing of several esc's burning out after heavier servo swaps), and installed some new ssd d-window beadlocks with some rc4wd super swampers

also picked up some new links for the rear. about time to knock the wheelbase down a bit

I swapped out the stock 21T motor for a Axial 35T motor, and the increase in torque is awesome. Running 3s with a 35T motor is my favorite sweet spot now.

RC poster
    I swapped out the stock 21T motor for a Axial 35T motor, and the increase in torque is awesome. Running 3s with a 35T motor is my favorite sweet spot now.
    I was wondering about this. I put a 55T Axial motor in my RR-10 Bomber, so I have a 35T Axial motor as a spare.

Did it kill the top speed with the diffs unlocked and in high gear?

Quote Originally Posted by HOLLYWOOD33 View Post
    I was wondering about this. I put a 55T Axial motor in my RR-10 Bomber, so I have a 35T Axial motor as a spare.

Did it kill the top speed with the diffs unlocked and in high gear?
    On 2s, yes it's slower for sure. On 3s, it's acutally just a tad faster. However, being a 35T, and being run on 3s, it has way more torque.

RC poster
    Perfect!

All I run is 3S

Thanks!

RC Competitor
    Any alternate shift servos? Maybe from Tower Pro?
    Y.T. =Bachkrabbler, ka4172 , Crawlervideo

Quote Originally Posted by bachkrabbler View Post
    Any alternate shift servos? Maybe from Tower Pro?
    Sadly, it's pretty hard to find micro servos that are the same size as the 2065 servo that are waterproof. Savox makes a few servos in this size that are really decent, but they're not waterproof. Because of this, that's why both of my 1/10 Summit's and my TRX-4 still run Traxxas 2065 servos.

What did you do with your TRX-4 today?

Castle mamba X, 2850 sensored motor, 3s mini lipo, traxxas link on remote, savox wp steer servo, and shortened wheelbase. SSD front bumper, rc4wd rear, both are metal. Waiting on 66 proline body to come in the mail then it's finally time to play!
    Lock, Stomp, and Steer. No Fear

RC Racer
    My LHS called me a little while ago and said that mine is there waiting for me.

So, what did I do with my TRX-4 today??
    The only answer I have for that is:

Today, I will simply get to get my hands on it and check it out in person!
    Pretty jazzed.

BTW, I am enjoying reading what you guys are doing to your rigs.
    Can't wait to contribute.

Lookin good CrawlinMike!! Love the Slingers. I want to put a set on mine too.

Quote Originally Posted by ExplorerNate87 View Post
    My LHS called me a little while ago and said that mine is there waiting for me.

So, what did I do with my TRX-4 today??
    The only answer I have for that is:

Today, I will simply get to get my hands on it and check it out in person!
    Pretty jazzed.

BTW, I am enjoying reading what you guys are doing to your rigs.
    Can't wait to contribute.
    Welcome to the herd!! Now go nutz!!

RC Racer
    Thanks SummitonSlingrs!
    Going to pick up some goodies while at the LHS...Leaving work in about 15 min!

RC Racer
    Put a deposite down on the first 2 that my lhs gets in. Only problem is they keep telling me they have 2 coming WHEN TRAXXAS RELEASES THEM.lol you guys are lucky

Seems like any US LHS should have received their first two by now...

RC Racer
    Wish this was the case. My lhs is not on top of things though so im still waiting.

RC Racer
    Personally, I've had mine for two days now, and only have gotten to try it a couple times for a few minutes.

Atonimo - Whenever you get it, I think you're going to like it, a lot.

Wheels and tires have arrived!!! First one assembled, more pics to follow...

Quote Originally Posted by SummitonSlingrs View Post
    Wheels and tires have arrived!!! First one assembled, more pics to follow...

Lol, your wrist must be killing you.
    "Gone racing"

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by SlashMaxx4x4 View Post
    Oh man, true...LOL

RC Racer
    Looking really good though, SS.

RC Racer
    I got to crawl a bit after work with a friend who has an SCXii....I was on 3s and he was on 4s...His rig has the (kit) laydown 2spd tranny withe Holmes Crawlmaster motor. His truck works really well....But that said, the TRX-4 did quite well by comparison...It did everything his did.

RC Racer

My buddies SCX10ii scoots at probably a little over 15mph in 2nd gear, but both our rigs will wheelie on command and both will crawl super slow and controlled....IMHO there is no slow technical crawling control issues with running on 3s compared to running on 2s...It still crawls just fine on 3s...At least these were my findings yesterday.

Quote Originally Posted by SlashMaxx4x4 View Post
    Oh man, true...LOL
    Thankful for power tools…But I was still over it by the end. Loctited every one too…

Looking really good though, SS.
    Thanks Nate, I’m loving it too!

They are Gear Head RC 1.9 Vegas BL's wrapped in Pro-Line Hyrax
    Last edited by SummitonSlingrs; 06-23-2017 at 10:48 AM.

RC Competitor
    I went out the other night and I had a great time wheeling my TRX-4, for being nearly stock it performs great.

Here's how much grease comes in the portals from the factory. They're well sealed, this is the day after the first picture was taken. None of the portals had water in them.

And the best for last, I installed the red Traxxas parts on my TRX-4, I got the diff covers and tow hooks in red. The diff cover part # is TRA8280R, and the tow hook is TRA8234R.

Are those diff covers sold in pairs like the D-rings or separately for front and rear?

Thanks in advance!

RC Competitor
    I just got mine today, I'm in The Netherlands in Europe and it arrived early... estimated delivery from my LHS was early july, so I'm one happy camper! 😁
    Checked my pinion (which was catching only half off the spur) and drove a bit in the living room. 😉
    Going to install traxxas link tomorrow and order the red diff covers and D-rings.
    Need some shock oil too, seems my left rear shock doesn't do much... takes forever to level after flexing rear left.

Loving it to bits for sure, at my LHS they couldn't stop looking at it when we unboxed it, crawling isn't so much of a thing yet over here but this rig is going to change that I think... 😆

We don't have to many mountains or rocks over here, but can't wait to take her out! 😊
    Last edited by GuidoS79; 06-23-2017 at 12:20 PM.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast