RC poster

Questions on Stampede VXL

Hi,

New guy here.
    We have a little boy in the family who has fallen in love with the RC world, he is 8-1/2, and suffering from AML Leukemia. A group of friends got together and bought him a brand new Stampede VXL 4x4, and he was simply thrilled. It lasted about 48 hours and then began operating in reverse of control inputs, then quit entirely. Troubleshooting failed to bring it back to life.
    We had the truck set on Training mode and he is not bashing it.
    Thankfully, we bought the truck through Amazon and returned it and got a replacement within 48 hours. He is once again a happy camper. I am new to the Traxxas scene myself, my Slash VXL and my grandsons brush powered Slash and my sons hot rod Rustler were his first exposure to higher end RC
    We know we need to buy a handful of batteries and a good Traxxas charger. We don't see the value in going Lipo, as it will be a very long time before he is ready for that kind of power. We are concentrating the best Traxxas NiCads and a double slot charger.
    Beyond that, I have some questions for you guys who have owned and run these trucks...and broken them.
    Time is an issue for this boy, and we want to be prepared for any breakdowns by having a good stash of spares on hand to get him rolling again. I already have a set of Aluminum shock caps on order, but that is it. We are looking for advice on parts to buy and have on hand to make repairs quickly. I added a fan on the ESC and a heatsink for the motor is enroute.
    For example, I know on my truck the Caster Blocks are an issue, can any of you folks help me put together a list of parts we should have in our toolbox for this truck?
    He isn't running it wide open, as I said, it is in training mode for the foreseeable future, but...well things happen, and we want to be ready.
    Days lost waiting for parts are something we want to avoid.
    Any and all input will be appreciated.

Is this a 4wd? Reason I ask is some call the 2wd a 4wd because it's on a monster truck platform. This really does not make that big of a difference but would help in your quest for spare parts.
    T/SportMax/Slayer Pro/Bandit
    Stampede/Rustler

RC poster
    Yes sir it is 4x4 Should have said that.. I wasn't sure where to put the question where the most eyes would see it.

4x4 forum would be better. As far as spare parts, in training mode doubt he can do much damage but I would say spur gear, a arms, axle carriers and such. Things that get broke slamming into stationary objects. Upgrade to aluminum if you want but really no need to now.
    T/SportMax/Slayer Pro/Bandit
    Stampede/Rustler

RC poster
    Thanks very much, will look into those pieces and perhaps repost in the 4x4, or maybe a mod can move this over...not sure how things work around here...