RC Enthusiast

Not brushless ready

The Ford gt is not vxl ready the motor cover does not fit when the esc is installed in the correct holes and it causes the motor to be angled and causes misaligned gears , and under vxl power the driveshaft flexes enough to rub on the esc , traxxas didn't release this with the vxl system because the chassis wasn't designed around it , I guarantee they will release a different chassis to fix this problem, I think I will convert back to xl5

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RC poster
    First I've heard of this problem...I didn't waste my time going VXL and went straight to the Mamba X sensored system

RC Qualifier

I don't know what to tell you. I put the motor in mine and have zero issues. Just had to very lightly trim two spots on the esc and everything fit.

Stampede 4x4/Slash 4x4/Xmaxx/Alias/GT

RC Qualifier
    Mine seems to fit just fine. Not the vxl, but a 550 can with a pretty larg ESC. The ESC is not technically screwed in, but it ain't going anywhere. I did notice the center drive rubbing on the servo screws. But it seems ok so far after over a dozen packs...

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by tallj2000 View Post

I don't know what to tell you. I put the motor in mine and have zero issues. Just had to very lightly trim two spots on the esc and everything fit.

And your motor is misaligned with the rear cover on the motor

RC Qualifier
    It may look that way in the pictures but it's not. I have 20 packs through it and zero issues anywhere. I have had the motor out and inspected the gears and they still look new. Even with the rear cover off the motor sits in the chassis the exact same way.
    Stampede 4x4/Slash 4x4/Xmaxx/Alias/GT

Apparently not everybody is having the same problems as you smoke, move on. Pretty sure you've made your point...
    Sla2hP4deXSummitRusty2TRX4Bigfoot#14TEC2.0Rally

RC Racer
    ZERO problems with castle.
    Went to buy a lipo, walked out with a XMAXX.

Plenty of room with that Castle setup, you running the high speed 25t Pinion?
    Last edited by djmaincheese; 06-06-2017 at 01:31 AM.

RC poster
    I am in mine. The mamba x esc is bigger than the sidewinder too

RC Racer
    I had the 25t on for a little while. ESC went into thermal shutdown. Went to the LHS and bought a fan for the ESC and motor. Put the 21t back in. Definitely made a huge difference with the top speed but it ran much cooler.
    Went to buy a lipo, walked out with a XMAXX.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by ShanenooX View Post
    ZERO problems with castle.
    Looks good man nice job

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

RC Enthusiast

I rest my case , the top picture explains everything lol

RC Qualifier
    i've had a brushless system in mine since i got it. no issues whatsoever. no bent drive shaft, no gear issues. nothing. at best, this thread should be called, "not vxl straight from a slash ready".
    i noticed the motor cover issue on another guys car last weekend who was running a vxl system, but it was only an issue when putting larger pinions and smaller spur (65/33, using the lower holes on the motor mount). he ran just fine with the stock 70/21 gearing for at least two weekends. the pic on top comes with a 55 tooth spur, so the motor probably will not fit with the cover. Taking a plastic cover off is hardly "not ready". but by all means, i will take that "lousy" 4tec2 off your hands and slap my own brushless motor in... will fifty bucks buy it?
    Last edited by SL4SHGT8BASHER; 07-28-2017 at 11:27 AM.

RC Qualifier
    Wait wait wait ...... 70 plus!!! I have a vxl in mines and I have a really hard time believing that . What hearing are they using , is it the optional speed gearing ?

RC Qualifier
    Yes I know it comes with a 55 tooth spur and I think it's a 35 tooth pinion.

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by SL4SHGT8BASHER View Post
    i've had a brushless system in mine since i got it. no issues whatsoever. no bent drive shaft, no gear issues. nothing. at best, this thread should be called, "not vxl straight from a slash ready".
    i noticed the motor cover issue on another guys car last weekend who was running a vxl system, but it was only an issue when putting larger pinions and smaller spur (65/33, using the lower holes on the motor mount). he ran just fine with the stock 70/21 gearing for at least two weekends. the pic on top comes with a 55 tooth spur, so the motor probably will not fit with the cover. Taking a plastic cover off is hardly "not ready". but by all means, i will take that "lousy" 4tec2 off your hands and slap my own brushless motor in... will fifty bucks buy it?
    The size of the spur gear has nothing to do with motor alignment , hence the multi position motor plate , there is a reason that traxxas removed the motor cover with the brushless version , and for 50$ I'll sell you a vintage radio shack car lol

RC Qualifier
    The size of the spur AND pinion effect where the motor is mounted. When the motor is mounted higher up, the plastic cover is fine but when the motor has to be mounted lower then it will not fit with the cover. I know from watching the guy run several packs, and from switching out gears at the track. Either way, a little plastic cover has little to do with it being "ready"...

One major difference I notice on the vxl drivetrain is the steel center shaft vs the aluminum in the brushed version.
    But I'm pretty confident this car can handle serious brushless power even with the aluminum shaft. There is a guy already getting this thing over 100mph with a tp-power motor on 6s...

Personally I am impressed with this car. Even the guy running a 17.5 x-Ray was impress when I was running with him on the track. This car has potential to be a reasonable club racer. I will be scooping up a vxl version as soon as my next paycheck clears... I love this thing on the track. But on a parking lot it's not as fun as my slash-gt8.