RC poster

All things considered: One 2S LIPO or Two NiMH in Series?

RC Newb here. I got my 5 yr old a Teton for Christmas. 5 months later, & I'm a total Trax-Head! Can't get enough of that Traxxas! Got a Slash 4x4 1/16 brushed, then a Summit 1/16 VXL (fav) & just found a Grave Digger 1/16 w/ 4x4 added!

My one & only beef with any Traxxas product is the stock 1200 NiMH & car charger. Ordered 2S LIPOs, extra NiMHs, EZ Peak Dual Charger (love it) & series & parallel connections.

The LIPO is crazy fast, & last much longer. But, on first run I shredded the Spur Gear in the Summit & yokes on the center shaft. Now, I just destroyed something in the Grave Digger!

Slash is under repair... due to driver error. So, I can't test this out my self. So, is the performance from two NiMH in Series equal to one 2s Lipo? If not, is the difference so great to warrant the downtime &/or necessity to upgrade everything from the Pinion to the Pavement?

RC Competitor
    DO not run Nimh batteries in series.... your voltage will go up to 16 Volts. The equivalent of a 4s battery pack. I have a slash and run on 2s all the time... never had an issue....

The products page says
    Quote Originally Posted by Traxxas
    50+mph with additional NiMH battery pack and series connector, sold separately

So you can run 2 NiMH batteries (total of 12 cells) in series on the VXL-3m ESC or if you want to go the lipo route 2s or 3s. Lipo will give you consistent speed and power throughout the charge of the battery; the NiMH will give you more punch and power when fully charged but it will drop off as the charge drops. A 3s lipo will give you the power of 2 NiMH batteries in series for the entire charge of the battery.
    The Super Derecho

RC poster
    Thanks for the info.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

RC Enthusiast
    Double G, how would the performance of a 7.4v lipo compare with a 9.6v NiMh of similar mAh? The 9.6v is very heavy compared to the 7.4v lipo. I'm just wondering if the reduction in weight might compensate for the lesser voltage to some extent?

Off the bat the nimh will have more punch, but again, that performance does not last long and will fade. The lipo will stay consistent until dead and the difference between running the two is night and day. Many others will attest that they didn't go lipo earlier.
    The Super Derecho

RC Enthusiast
    Thanks Double G, I have a 9.6v NiMh that I ran in my Bandit until I purchased an 11.1v lipo. I was just giving some thought to getting a 7.4v lipo, just to have something a little milder, but still perform well.

RC poster
    I agree with that. One 1200NIMH for a $300 truck. But im just making the switch to electric and would appreciate some places to learn some of the new terms, and other symbols.