RC Enthusiast

E Revo 1/16 vxl only able to drive for max 5 minutes....

Hey guys,

I got my E-Revo VXL 1/16 for around 5 months and it still has the stock gearing. I run it on two 6 cell nimh packs in series. But what bothers me is that I am only able to run for 5 minutes max before the esc blinks red and I am only able to steer (not throttle). Which I am pretty sure means the system is overheating and you need to let it cool down.

Any tips on how to improve my run time?

Have a good day.

-Thomas

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by UltimateRcNoob View Post
    Hey guys,

I got my E-Revo VXL 1/16 for around 5 months and it still has the stock gearing. I run it on two 6 cell nimh packs in series. But what bothers me is that I am only able to run for 5 minutes max before the esc blinks red and I am only able to steer (not throttle). Which I am pretty sure means the system is overheating and you need to let it cool down.

Any tips on how to improve my run time?

Have a good day.

-Thomas
    buy a parallel connector.
    And rubbin son is racin'.

RC Champion
    Fast blink or slow blink?
    Fast blink means thermal protection shut down.
    Slow blink means low voltage.

What gearing are you running? Lower gearing will put less strain on the system do it runs cooler. You could also change to running in parallel, which will give you lots more runtime, but lower your top speed to around 30mph...
    Dacaur

Apparently you are making the motor work too hard.

Increasing runtime that is limited by quick overheating can be done by lowering gearing.

Increasing runtime that is limited by capacity can be improved by using batteries with a higher capacity. Lipos have a higher capacity per volume so if you want to maximize that, you'd have to switch to Lipo.
    Nobody is born with experience

RC Enthusiast
    Gearing is stock (I think that is 28/50) the light was blinking red slowly as I was not able to touch the ESC without burning my fingers.

RC Enthusiast
    My power system overheats before my batteries die so I don't know where you are talking about. I would like to fix this heat problem before switching to lipo.

Stock gearing for 2 NiMHs in series is too much. As Traxxas recommends, you need the 23T "high speed" pinion for that.

RC Enthusiast
    My power system overheats before my batteries die so I don't know where you are talking about. I would like to fix this heat problem before switching to lipo.

RC Enthusiast
    But that doesn't make sense as you have a higher gear ratio which increases the stress on the motor and ESC

The term "high speed" is a bit confusing for the 23T pinion, because it is smaller than the stock pinion and it decreases your top speed where many think it will increase. Because it is smaller, it decreases stress on your motor when accelerating.

Like I said in post #4, lowering gear (which you do when using the "high speed" pinon) is the best way to stop (or postpone) overheating.

RC Champion
    +1 I bet your batteries are smoking hot too...
    Traxxas doesn't, but should explain that the purpose of the "high speed" pinion is to lower the gearing enough that your power system and batteries can handle the amp draw. Lower gearing (smaller pinion) means less heat (untill you get too low, then the ESC overheats, but that's not a concern on this truck). Higher gearing (larger pinion) will create more heat.

If your motor and ESC are overheating, you need to use a smaller pinion.
    Dacaur

You don't have lipo mode on, do you?

RC Racer
    Stop running them in series and see what happens...one battery at a time. One of the batteries might be bad.

RC Competitor
    https://traxxas.com/support/Dual-Batteries-116-Models

This is a good link to read and re-read.

What to take away from this link and the responses above:

run dual 2S lipos in parallel, and reap the benefits of cooler temps for your motor, esc, and batteries. I get over 40 min of runtime with my MERV on parallel lipos. This model is a great for its intended use. Know and understand its limitations. If you want to go faster or over rough terrain, it might be wise to look at a different model.

The people on this forum are extremely intelligent and helpful. Please take their advice and save yourself some money and aggravation in the long run.
    And rubbin son is racin'.