Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RC Competitor

Castle 2650kv on 2s?

Looking for feedback on the 2650kv motor/esc combo from castle on 2s.

I'm curious how it runs. Slower than the Velineon system on 2s? Same? Faster?

I'm happy with the overall speed on my sons P4de but the stock motor and ESC are getting hot!! Looking for something that can at least equal the Velineon systems speed/punch but runs cooler

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    It'll be a bit slower, the kv rating is rpm's per volt. You gotta go to the lower kv motor and larger cell battery. 3S and you'll be happy I bet

The 2650 is pretty tame on 2S. When you gear up on 2S, you will need quite an amount of amps to feed it.
    From a stock system to a Castle 2650 is quite a big step forward. Castle also makes a very nice 2400Kv motor. That is even slower on 2S (works great on 3S), but more easy on the drive train than the 2650.
    Nobody is born with experience

RC Competitor
    The question then, I suppose, is can I gear it down on the 2650 with 3s to keep it at or slightly above the speed of the stock VXL system without overheating the motor?

Keep in mind, this is not a truck that I drive - this truck is driven by my oldest son who turns 6 in August. He has tremendous control and is really really good with the stock system. While I absolutely know that he can handle a bit more speed/punch than stock, I don't want him to have a 50mph truck....yet.

What I like about the 2650kv option is the ability of it to keep growing as he grows. We run 90% of the time in grass.

Top speed with the 2650Kv on 3S will be around 10% more than the Velineon on 2S (theoretically).

Bear in mind that the 2650Kv has well over twice the power than the Velineon, so it will accelerate way faster. It's quite easy to ruin drive shafts.
    So if you are looking for a "bit more speed/punch", the 2650Kv is probably way too much. It's in the category "crazy overpowered". You will be surprised of the power of the 2400Kv already.

Of course it depends on budget, but I'd say get a Mamba X ESC and a sensored 2400Kv motor and you and your son will be pretty happy for quite a while.

RC Competitor
    Money really isn't an issue and the drivetrain is already beefed up. I've got tekno axles in there and XO-1 Diffs. One advantage of the MMX is that I can program the punch control down to keep it manageable.

RC Qualifier
    I run a 2650kv with a mm2 in my MT Slash 4x4 on 2s. It's slower than the VXL but not by a lot. It runs cooler though. It has a lot more torque than the VXL as well. On 2s my Slash will wheelie with ease.
    Stampede 4x4/Slash 4x4/Xmaxx/Alias/GT

Quote Originally Posted by tallj2000 View Post
    I run a 2650kv with a mm2 in my MT Slash 4x4 on 2s. It's slower than the VXL but not by a lot. It runs cooler though. It has a lot more torque than the VXL as well. On 2s my Slash will wheelie with ease.
    How does it do if you gear it taller to compensate for the lack of rpm's?
    Expert rigging at it's best!

I have that combo in my Pede and it works great on 2s. When we have other kids over I'll let them drive my son's truck (stock) on training mode and give him mine with a 2s battery in it. On 3s it starts getting pretty scary...he's a good driver and mostly careful, but he doesn't quite grasp the full consequences of what can happen on full throttle with that much voltage.

Quote Originally Posted by Lemuod View Post
    Money really isn't an issue and the drivetrain is already beefed up. I've got tekno axles in there and XO-1 Diffs. One advantage of the MMX is that I can program the punch control down to keep it manageable.
    Good to hear you got the right upgrades on that matter. I have the same upgrade (with the 6mm axles) but still break a pin every now and then. The Mamba X also has options to reduce the power.

Quote Originally Posted by olds97_lss View Post
    You can gear up with the 2650Kv to make it quite faster than the stock motor and still have a better acceleration.

RC Qualifier
    Mines geared with a 18t pinion. It's slower but not by much. Maybe a few mph. Never checked speed. Still have good temps. I could probably go up a tooth but haven't tried yet.
    Stampede 4x4/Slash 4x4/Xmaxx/Alias/GT

The 3500 velineon motor is perfect on 2s if you have one to throw in, if your buying a system outright id go with 2650 and mm2. Just my opinion.

92.5 mph Rustler (Rusty 1.0 R.I.P.)
    78 mph on 4s/93 on 6s(Rusty 2.0)
    86.9 mph Stampede 4x4
    Just need one more rc, then Ill be done...

RC Competitor
    For the first time, I decided to throw a 3s in the car after he went to bed. Why after he went to bed? Simply put, I was afraid if he saw how fast the car would have been, he would have accepted nothing less than that. :thumb up:

And, I am extremely happy I made that choice because dayum!! That thing is ridiculous. So,
    o after quite a bit of digging around here, I just ordered a castle censored 1415 2400kv motor for it. Found one for under $90 and thought what the h e double hockey sticks.

I am going to run it on the stock VXL3s initially. If that blows up or simply doesn't work, I'll grab a MMX and throw that in.

After running through various speed calculations, I am going to slap a 16t on there initially which should - mathematically - keep 2s speed the same as the velineon with an 11th pinion.

If that is too torquey off the line, I'll probably through an 18t on there. If that doesn't work, I'll grab the MMX esc so I can dial that down.

Now it's just time for it to get here and see what happens!!

In the meantime, I bought my 2.5 year old a slow little Everest 10 so he can play with us that showed up today. He's tired of his cheap toy RC's that only run for 10 minutes at a time. Just have to charge those batteries up and he'll be the happiest kid you've ever seen! So will I since he'll stop asking me everyday if his new monster truck is here. lol
    Last edited by Lemuod; 06-07-2017 at 02:31 PM.

Haha. Great to read the 3S story. It makes me remember the days of making the step from an XL-5 brushed combo to brushless and the jawdropping experience. Believe me, you will get used to it.

I think you made a good choice. The only thing that I would do different is the order of modifications. I would keep the VXL-3s safe and replace it before it dies to have a spare combo that way. It will not be happy when you go towards the limits of the 2400 motor.

A subject what was not discussed in this thread are batteries. Bear in mind that a Castle combo with the 2400Kv in it will ask more from you battery. You might have checked that already, but I just want to mention it to be certain.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by Petertje60 View Post
    Haha. Great to read the 3S story. It makes me remember the days of making the step from an XL-5 brushed combo to brushless and the jawdropping experience. Believe me, you will get used to it.

I think you made a good choice. The only thing that I would do different is the order of modifications. I would keep the VXL-3s safe and replace it before it dies to have a spare combo that way. It will not be happy when you go towards the limits of the 2400 motor.

A subject what was not discussed in this thread are batteries. Bear in mind that a Castle combo with the 2400Kv in it will ask more from you battery. You might have checked that already, but I just want to mention it to be certain.
    While I agree with you, I'm still amazed Traxxas put a 200 amp rating on that esc. In theory it should be able to run a 2400kv forever

RC Competitor

Quote Originally Posted by Gripdog7205 View Post
    While I agree with you, I'm still amazed Traxxas put a 200 amp rating on that esc. In theory it should be able to run a 2400kv forever
    All good points but I'm not that worried about preserving the VXL-3s. I am fortunate in the fact that I have 2 LHS within 10 minutes of the house. And if they don't have something, the luxury of Amazon prime makes things a 2 day wait. Plus, he can always drive one of my cars in the down time. What I do love about my little guy is that even though my trucks are bigger and faster, he absolutely loves his truck and prefers it over all others. The only exception to that is that he reallllly wants a grave digger body on there.

To Gripdog's related point, I can't agree more. Considering the 2400kv should never be pulling more than 120a, an ESC with a 200a rating should be beyond capable of running it. I was more concerned over the capability of it pulling a higher KV motor, like the 3800 that pulls a ton of amperage.

in terms of batteries - totally good there. All of the packs for his truck are 75c packs

Thanks for the guidance and suggestions so far. I'm out of town this weekend but should have it up and running next monday or tuesday.

RC Racer
    I ran my 2650 set up yesterday for the first time.
    It was 18/54 with a 3s 90c battery, 2.8 trenchers. . I stopped at 47mph (gps speed)

"That's what." -She

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by MrEddieBear View Post
    I ran my 2650 set up yesterday for the first time.
    It was 18/54 with a 3s 90c battery, 2.8 trenchers. . I stopped at 47mph (gps speed)

"That's what." -She
    That's fast! Too fast for my 6 year old but sounds fun for me

PM me if you want to bash near Grass Valley, CA
    As one who has owned all of the systems mentioned above, I can give you firsthand experience here.

For my Sl4sh and P4de, the Castle Creations Mamba Monster v2 ESC and Castle Creations 2650kv motor run quite well on 2S. On 3S the system is more powerful than the Velineon. Much more! 4S is insane. All this, and there are no overheating issues even on a hot summer day.

The Mamba ESC can be programmed to keep the youngin under control.

A very high quality and excellent value 3S LiPo from SMC is $35.00.

http://www.smc-racing.net/index.php?...product_id=463

I've used the aforementioned for years now and am overjoyed with them. I very highly recommend moving up to this power program.
    Obstacle Magnet

I have that same SMC 4300mah lipo, all be it the casing is somewhat smaller, but it charges to 4600mah... overall, its a great quality made battery.
    Bashing along @ 30mph...

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bige4u View Post
    I have that same SMC 4300mah lipo, all be it the casing is somewhat smaller, but it charges to 4600mah... overall, its a great quality made battery.
    I have the same battery in the 6S variety. It's very good for the money.

You guys talking about this on 2S with 18/54 runs similar to the vxl-3s/3500 in terms of speed, but cooler?
    http://www.castlecreations.com/en/ma...bo-010-0108-02

Pretty sure that's this, for $199:
    https://www.rcplanet.com/Castle_Crea...10-0108-02.htm

$200 isn't too bad of a pill if I can really gear it high enough on 2S to be as fast (preferably a bit faster) than the 3500 on 2S. The sidewinder sct sv3/3800kv does ok and is a bit faster with the same gearing, but it does run a bit warm on a 80F day and I'd love throwing another tooth on the pinion.

Sorry, still learning some of this stuff and the subtle variations of names and whatnot makes it mildly confusing.
    Last edited by olds97_lss; 06-09-2017 at 05:50 PM.

On 2S these systems run icy cold and are probably comparable but as I mentioned earlier, for $35.00 you can have this 1/8 scale system scream while staying in comfy-cozy temps. I've had this system in my P4de and Sl4sh for years and love it. You will too
    Obstacle Magnet

Runnng an 1/8th scale motor on 2s is not living up to its potential... so whats the point, really.
    Bashing along @ 30mph...

Quote Originally Posted by Bige4u View Post
    Runnng an 1/8th scale motor on 2s is not living up to its potential... so whats the point, really.
    Durability, run time, not having to care where you run it or how long. The fact that I have 12 lipo packs, all 2S and don't want to get lipo's just for this rig if I don't have to.

I have a big block revo with a LRP28 in it, but I don't run WOT all the time. But it's nice not having an engine that runs overly hot while running in the grass that touches the chassis for an hour at a time.

That's my goal. Run it where I want, how long I want without having it shut down on me or damage itself and have it a little faster than the 3500kv with 14/54 on 2S.

Sure, with an 1/8th system I could run 3-4S in the thing and have it go 50mph, but that's not the goal I'm trying to reach.

Durability, run time, not having to care where you run it or how long.
    You and I are alike in this regard. This is why my 2wd Traxxas RCs have Mamba/2400 systems and my 4wd have 1/8 scale Mamba Monster/2650 systems. I wanna play all day and not worry 'bout a thing!
    Obstacle Magnet

Alrighty.... so how are the motor heat issues if you decide to use 3s and 4s lipos?
    Bashing along @ 30mph...

3S, no problems even when running my P4de hard during the summer. 4S, I've never been able to push the thing. It's just insane. As long as the electronics get sufficient airflow, temperatures stay comfy.

Just get one SMC 3S pack and see. You'll love it and your addiction will get even worse.
    Obstacle Magnet

I do have both SMC 3s and 4s batteries... 4300mah and 4500mah respectively.
    Bashing along @ 30mph...

Good to go!
    Obstacle Magnet

Not really... i dont own any 1/8th scale motors, although im currently running a 2600kv unit, but its a 3660 size 1/10th scale motor, but its still fun on a 4s lipo.
    Bashing along @ 30mph...

RC Competitor
    I run a similar setup on my slash but the 2200kv and on 3s it's fun with my gearing. On 4s it really wakes up on 6s I keep my tools out in preparation to remount the tires to the bead locks I use. Normally I don't run less then 4s. The only thing I lost was the ability to pull wheelies.

Yep. That's the difference between the 2200kv and the 2650kv motor.
    Obstacle Magnet

RC Competitor
    I would think a 2200kv would be better suited for the pede with the larger tires.

When I last spoke with the good folks at Castle Creations, they preferred the 2650 in the Sl4sh and P4de.
    Obstacle Magnet

RC Competitor
    Well I got the motor and ESC for $115 and it came out of an erevo.

Quote Originally Posted by KurtHafner View Post
    Well I got the motor and ESC for $115 and it came out of an erevo.
    New? That's a great deal.
    Obstacle Magnet

Quote Originally Posted by Gripdog7205 View Post
    Traxxas is conservative and trustworthy when talking about Lipo specs, but that is not the case with ESC specs IMHO. 200A continuous and 320A peak are specs which I don't believe.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Traxxas is conservative and trustworthy when talking about Lipo specs, but that is not the case with ESC specs IMHO. 200A continuous and 320A peak are specs which I don't believe.
    True statement

Yeah, +1 to that.
    Obstacle Magnet

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast