Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    RC Competitor
    So I finally got everything together enough last night for a quick run. It was pretty late...dark...rainy but I think that this 2400kv will be absolutely perfect! I have to finish up mounting the esc this afternoon and then run it a bit more with some daylight but I definitely think we have a winner.

Good to hear!
    Nobody is born with experience

RC Competitor
    Ran 2 packs through it last night with the 16t pinion. Temps outside were 90 - ran all grass

Motor temp - 148
    ESC - 136
    Batteries were 112 and 108

The top speed is decent on 2s but it really gets up to speed very quickly!! My little guy was jumping it bigger than he's ever been able to. Overall, smashing success. I'm gonna throw an 18t pinion on there to lower the wheelies a bit and jump top speed.

PM me if you want to bash near Grass Valley, CA
    More RC math: 90 + grass running + decent temps + jumps = happy, happy.
    Obstacle Magnet

Glad to hear it's working out for you.

I ran mine last weekend, it was 90F out and the 3800kv/SCT SV3 did get pretty warm, but didn't shut down on me. I put new wheels/tires on it... Pro-line trencher's on 12mm hex wheels. Which probably are going to cause issues if I run in grass a lot. I ran it for a hard 30 minutes at my skate park without issue though. Surprised how much faster it was with those tires over the traxxas 2.8" chevrons I had. The trenchers actually balloon a bit on 2S whereas the chevrons really didn't. I could probably go down a tooth on the pinion and still be happy with the speed.

Then I went to go do some off roading with it and busted my first arm 5 minutes into my run, bad landing with 5 feet of air under it going at a pretty good clip. Got a full set of RPM arms showing up tomorrow.
    Expert rigging at it's best!

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by olds97_lss View Post
    Glad to hear it's working out for you.

I ran mine last weekend, it was 90F out and the 3800kv/SCT SV3 did get pretty warm, but didn't shut down on me. I put new wheels/tires on it... Pro-line trencher's on 12mm hex wheels. Which probably are going to cause issues if I run in grass a lot. I ran it for a hard 30 minutes at my skate park without issue though. Surprised how much faster it was with those tires over the traxxas 2.8" chevrons I had. The trenchers actually balloon a bit on 2S whereas the chevrons really didn't. I could probably go down a tooth on the pinion and still be happy with the speed.

Then I went to go do some off roading with it and busted my first arm 5 minutes into my run, bad landing with 5 feet of air under it going at a pretty good clip. Got a full set of RPM arms showing up tomorrow.
    I ran mine hard in the 90 degree heat here in So Cal. 3800kv 1410 sensored w/ a Mamba X and I got the motor up to 175...but that was after an entire 2S 6500mah pack. So perfectly fine in my book.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by dbdynsty25 View Post
    I ran mine hard in the 90 degree heat here in So Cal. 3800kv 1410 sensored w/ a Mamba X and I got the motor up to 175...but that was after an entire 2S 6500mah pack. So perfectly fine in my book.
    Uh. That's too hot for repeated occurrences. No issue if you like replacing motors prematurely.

RC Enthusiast
    A very high quality and excellent value 3S LiPo from SMC is $35.00.

http://www.smc-racing.net/index.php?...product_id=463

I've used the aforementioned for years now and am overjoyed with them. I very highly recommend moving up to this power program.[/QUOTE]

Is the Deans connector capable of connecting to the id plug directly or does that require an adapter?

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Gripdog7205 View Post
    Uh. That's too hot for repeated occurrences. No issue if you like replacing motors prematurely.
    I've burnt out one motor in my life...a Latrax Teton motor, from running 2S for about 20 min. in grass. A whole 7 bucks to replace it. So I think I'll be alright.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by dbdynsty25 View Post
    I've burnt out one motor in my life...a Latrax Teton motor, from running 2S for about 20 min. in grass. A whole 7 bucks to replace it. So I think I'll be alright.
    Pretty sure you won't find a Castle motor for 7 bucks. But then again, it's not my stuff. I was just saying that's too hot sustained use.

Quote Originally Posted by stamped01 View Post
    A very high quality and excellent value 3S LiPo from SMC is $35.00.

http://www.smc-racing.net/index.php?...product_id=463

I've used the aforementioned for years now and am overjoyed with them. I very highly recommend moving up to this power program.
    Is the Deans connector capable of connecting to the id plug directly or does that require an adapter?
    It requires an adapter, but if you get packs from SMC, you can get ones with a trx non-ID plug and use the balance plug like normal. The non-id TRX plug fits in the ID plug as well. I run only SMC packs with the non-id TRX plug and 2 of my trucks have the ID plug on the esc.

Quote Originally Posted by Gripdog7205 View Post
    Pretty sure you won't find a Castle motor for 7 bucks. But then again, it's not my stuff. I was just saying that's too hot sustained use.
    With the SCT SV3/3800kv with 13/54 and pro-line trencher 2.8's, I haven't hit 160F at the motor, have gotten to 115'ish on the esc. Ran it hard yesterday, was 81F outside. I ran 2 packs back to back at the skate park, about 30 minutes each. SMC 7200mah 2S packs. Motor was at 130F, esc was at 116F.
    Expert rigging at it's best!

RC Competitor
    Update time!

So, after a couple of months, the motor and stock esc have been performing perfectly. The negatives are that he started stripping out wheels so I put on the tekno 17mm adapter and put on a set of the proline badlands that I had laying around from my revo.

The problem now isn't that he's stripping wheels, but he's breaking that little pin that goes from axle to hub almost every time out.

We're still running on 2s and it's more than enough but now I have to figure out how to stop snapping that pin.

Quote Originally Posted by Lemuod View Post
    Update time!

So, after a couple of months, the motor and stock esc have been performing perfectly. The negatives are that he started stripping out wheels so I put on the tekno 17mm adapter and put on a set of the proline badlands that I had laying around from my revo.

The problem now isn't that he's stripping wheels, but he's breaking that little pin that goes from axle to hub almost every time out.

We're still running on 2s and it's more than enough but now I have to figure out how to stop snapping that pin.
    Sounds familiar. My buddy made a few pins himself from stainless steel. Those are less brittle than the Tekno ones.
    Nobody is born with experience

Quote Originally Posted by Briber View Post
    The 3500 velineon motor is perfect on 2s if you have one to throw in, if your buying a system outright id go with 2650 and mm2. Just my opinion.

92.5 mph Rustler (Rusty 1.0 R.I.P.)
    78 mph on 4s/93 on 6s(Rusty 2.0)
    86.9 mph Stampede 4x4
    I appreciate the 2650kv MM2 !!!! I appreciate stainless steel pins too Thanks P60
    Last edited by lektro; 09-05-2017 at 04:32 PM.
    Choose Life !!!

RC Competitor
    2650 and mm2 is this set up a good fit in the pede whit out any mode to do

Quote Originally Posted by coupman35 View Post
    2650 and mm2 is this set up a good fit in the pede whit out any mode to do
    The CC 2650kv motor is 1/8th scale size... you WILL have to modify the chassis for it to fit.

Video - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MYt1AKQVf2E
    Bashing along @ 30mph...

RC Competitor
    Update - Been a while since I've updated this. The motor and stock ESC have been nothing short of perfect for us. Great speed. Runs cool as a cucumber. And is perfectly fast on 2s for him. I've run a few 3s packs through it and it's almost too fast. It definitely requires a lot of throttle control to actually keep the thing in the ground.

The XO1 diffs have held up perfectly despite more than a handful of incidents that could easily destroy a diff. The biggest and most consistent failure seems to be the axle pin that holds the axle to the wheel side cup on the proline axles. We seem to break one of the rears every couple of outings. I might just add some thicker diff fluid in the rear so that power/strain is distributed over 2 axles a bit better. Hopefully that will take some strain off that pin. If not, I've got a dozen on hand.

Overall, my 6 year old absolutely loves his pede. I'm trying to convince him to take my kraton so I can steal his motor for an MT410 build but I'm meeting quite a bit of resistance.

We - mostly he - also painted a new Prographix body for it. I think this might have been a mistake because the above point. It looks fantastic and is only adding to the struggle of stealing a motor.

Not sure if the photo link will work as I'm trying to img source from Google+ since photo bucket has become a scam.

Last edited by Lemuod; 02-06-2018 at 12:03 PM. Reason: added pics

Update - Been a while since I've updated this. The motor and stock ESC have been nothing short of perfect for us. Great speed. Runs cool as a cucumber. And is perfectly fast on 2s for him. I've run a few 3s packs through it and it's almost too fast. It definitely requires a lot of throttle control to actually keep the thing in the ground.

The XO1 diffs have held up perfectly despite more than a handful of incidents that could easily destroy a diff. The biggest and most consistent failure seems to be the axle pin that holds the axle to the wheel side cup on the proline axles. We seem to break one of the rears every couple of outings. I might just add some thicker diff fluid in the rear so that power/strain is distributed over 2 axles a bit better. Hopefully that will take some strain off that pin. If not, I've got a dozen on hand.

Overall, my 6 year old absolutely loves his pede. I'm trying to convince him to take my kraton so I can steal his motor for an MT410 build but I'm meeting quite a bit of resistance.

We - mostly he - also painted a new Prographix body for it. I think this might have been a mistake because the above point. It looks fantastic and is only adding to the struggle of stealing a motor.

Not sure if the photo link will work as I'm trying to img source from Google+ since photo bucket has become a scam.

That look awesome!!!! I better not let my 4 yr old see that lmbo. His fav color is green. Im workin on puttin a goolrc 2150kv in my p4de with a hobbywing wp sc8 esc. Cant wait to get it dun. Waitin on sum parts to get in yet.

Sent from my SM-J327VPP using Tapatalk

RC Enthusiast
    Update - Been a while since I've updated this. The motor and stock ESC have been nothing short of perfect for us. Great speed. Runs cool as a cucumber. And is perfectly fast on 2s for him. I've run a few 3s packs through it and it's almost too fast. It definitely requires a lot of throttle control to actually keep the thing on the ground

Thanks for documenting your journey! May I ask if the Castle 2650kv just dropped right in and used the same cables/connectors to the VXL-3s esc or did you need to make any changes? Do you notice a lot more torque making wheelies/backflips even easier? Any other information is greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

RC Competitor
    I was torn on what motor to go with for my sons stampede 4x4, I put a cc 1410 in it and the power is good and speed is decent but it heats up as you all know. So I just ordered a tekin pro 4 hd 3500kv so I’m hoping that will be the answer for 2s fun.
    Last edited by slayer-767; 03-07-2018 at 09:57 PM.

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by keoni068 View Post
    Thanks for documenting your journey! May I ask if the Castle 2650kv just dropped right in and used the same cables/connectors to the VXL-3s esc or did you need to make any changes? Do you notice a lot more torque making wheelies/backflips even easier? Any other information is greatly appreciated!

Thanks!
    I had to grind down the molded bumps in the chassis to get the can to fit. It took maybe 5 minutes of effort to get that part to work. The connectors from castle are different sizes than the VXL ones so I had to solder some new ones one the esc. Again, not terribly difficult. If you don't have a high wattage soldering iron, then you could always just have you LHS do it real quickly for a minimal fee.

There definitely is more noticeable torque but because I only let him run it on 2s, it isn't hard to control. Again, he's only 6 and had it figured out pretty quickly.

I did throw a 3s pack in there and...uhmmm.....wow! lol

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12