RC Competitor

Trim tab question

Has anyone ran their boat without them? Should i try or should i leave them alone or upgrade them?

RC Racer
    Well they're there for a reason, so I'm not sure why you would take them off. They help stabilize the boat and help adjust raising your hull up or down.

They're not needed for catamarans I've read?

RC Competitor
    Ya all other cats i see dont have them. I feel like prop angle and battery position is all you need to adjust hull position. Also the rudder angle has some help in that as well i feel

Feel like the trim tabs are for begginers or amateurs. And if those tabs arent equally perfect it will throw off the boat. I may try a run without them this weekend and see what the results are. Cuz im starting to get funny movement the last run or two where my boat fishtails back n forth a bit. Noticed the trim tabs werent perfectly equal and if the boat will run fine without em id rather not have them. Feel like if your battery placement and strut angle is good you should be fine. And if its not then you need to make adjustments to those.
    Last edited by Double G; 06-09-2017 at 07:56 AM. Reason: merge

RC Enthusiast
    Trim tabs lengthen the overall running surface of the hull. I can only imagine negatives associated with removing the tabs.

RC Competitor
    I disagree. I csn understand why dual prop cats dont have them but even any single prop cat lime genesis, apparition, zelos, zonda... any of em, they dont have trim tabs. I can see how they can help but mainly for v hulls. When my boat runs only the last two inches od the boat are in the water. Sometimes the whole boat is out of the water. If those tabs arent perfect it can affect the handling. And with the stock trim tabs can be a pain to align perfectly with one another. If they arent perfect then you get handling issues. Whereas the bottom of the hull on each side should be even therefore causing no issues. If you need to have more of thw boat in the water then you should move the batteries all the way up and angle the prop down to keep the bow down.