Dabbler's Rustler-to-Stampede Conversion

Here's the story: I'd been planning to use my Rustler to make a sort of Monster Baja Beetle, for summertime visits to the beach, using a Redcat Baja Bug body. Back in November, I had tried using the Stampede 4x4 platform, but it was too heavy and powerful, and quickly destroyed the body. It seemed like the Rustler would do better, since it was lower to the ground, and less likely to be jumped. I was just going to put some MT tires on it, make some cosmetic & electronic upgrades and call it good, but last night while I was looking more closely, I became bothered by the wheelbase not matching up, since the Rustler wheelbase is 3/4" longer than the Pede. Also, I concluded that it wouldn't really be a Monster Beetle if it wasn't on some sort of MT platform. What's funny, is that I used to have a Traxxas Son-uva Digger, and about two years ago, I had attempted to put my first Redcat Baja Bug body on it (as seen in the below pic), but I ended up mounting it on a custom short wheelbase SCX10. Later that year, I traded the Digger for an Associated TC3, regrettably. Ah well...

Here's the plan: Last night I bought the parts needed to convert my Rustler to a Pede, including a Traxxas Skully "black" chassis, and blue bumper & skid plates, as those will match the blue/silver/white Baja body. I'm also going to try out the Axial BKT 2.2 monster truck tires. If I like them, I'll probably boil them off the stock rims and put them on my HPI Warlock 2.2 white rims. Here's a basic rundown of what's going on it.

Body/Chassis:
    • Traxxas Skully "black" chassis + blue bumper & skid plates
    • Redcat Baja Bug body
    • STRC aluminum "blue" shock towers, bulkhead, knucklers & carriers.
    • TBR wheelie bar
    • Integy aluminum silver gearbox
    • Traxxas Big Bore shocks
    • Axial BKT 2.2 wheels/tires

Electronics:
    • Traxxas/Castle ET-3S esc
    • Traxxas Velineon 4-pole motor
    • Power HD 20Kg wp servo
    • Traxxas TQi tx/rx system

RC Qualifier
    Pretty mean bug you got there and the wheel and rims just adds the icing to the cake.

I have P4de and I agreed it put a hurt on my stock body (got a Ford body from Pro-Line now). It handles nice, especially the with sway bars installed, but when it flips or when you get the jump wrong with it and land on its top all that weight in the middle adds more force to the body. I got three 2nd cousins with P2des and one is quite abusive with his truck. His stock body not bad, but I had to touch it up with some drywall tape and shoe goo. Thankfully his is an XL-5. Can't imagine what his body will look like if it was brushless. I would say it will be similar to my beat up one.
    Did you say Traxxas?

Yes with or without lipos.

Thanks. Yeah, I'll be reinforcing the new body with drywall tape and shoe goo. Hopefully it'll last the season. Chances are, I'll be ready to go back to a Rustler after a few months, but who knows.

RC poster
    Sounds fun. Keep us posted with the pics.

The bkt tires should look real cool on a pede. Your going to have to either make the front wider with the wide mod or make the back narrower with bandit/slash arms if you havent already.
    ------
    How to Rc: Send them high, watch them die.

Quote Originally Posted by IanRose View Post
    The bkt tires should look real cool on a pede. Your going to have to either make the front wider with the wide mod or make the back narrower with bandit/slash arms if you havent already.
    Yep...already have the RPM wide front arms. The BKT's should be right at home on a P2de, because they're only slightly bigger than the tires that come stock on the Bigfoot/Skully/Craniac models, and have that classic chevron tread design. Can't wait to get them, next week!

PM me if you want to bash near Grass Valley, CA
    Nice. I'd love to see it with 2.8" Pro-Line Badlands MX28 tires on!
    Obstacle Magnet

Quote Originally Posted by jvogel View Post
    Nice. I'd love to see it with 2.8" Pro-Line Badlands MX28 tires on!
    Thanks. Ha! I was thinking I might eventually get those MX28's for my 4x4 Pede, which currently has the Maxx 2.8's. The Maxx tires look good, but are really hard rubber, and almost toy'ish.

PM me if you want to bash near Grass Valley, CA
    These shoes are rediculous

Obstacle Magnet

RC Racer
    Anyone got a link to these BKT chevron tyres please?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by jvogel View Post
    These shoes are rediculous
    Yes, they are, from the looks of them. The reason I wouldn't want them on this particular P2de is because I want a little drift action.

Quote Originally Posted by onionsa View Post
    Anyone got a link to these BKT chevron tyres please?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    If you want a set that's been pulled from an RTR, where they're pre-glued on rims, then just go to eBay and look up "Axial SMT10 BKT Tires 2.2 Wheels". I don't think the unglued version is available for order yet, but should be, sometime in the near future.

RC Racer
    Cool thanks will look them up.

Quote Originally Posted by onionsa View Post
    Cool thanks will look them up.
    Something worth noting: The Axial BKT 2.2's are all going to have the same wheel offset, so if you intend to mount them on a 2WD Stampede, I would recommend getting the RPM wide a-arms, and associated parts.

They arrived!

Just some mock-up pics, using my Rustler, which will soon be converted to a P2de. Disregard all the green & purple parts, as they're going to be re-purposed for a future FLM 1/8 Extended Stampede build. This current rig will be all blue, black, and silver.

Those wheels are really something, and I think I might ultimately put them on the future 1/8 P2de, also. We'll see.

RC Racer
    Yeah they look good!! A worthy replacement I think.

Well, I got my gearbox done. I picked up this silver Integy box, specifically for this build, since my Rustler gearbox was green. I mounted up the Velineon blue can, because that is what I had intended to use, but since my first few runs are going to be at a campground, I'm wondering if I shouldn't throw on the sensored 550 3300KV motor that I was going to put in my Stampede 4x4. That would allow me to slowly wheel around the campsite, if I just wanted to sit down and goof off with it. Aside from that, I'm just going to be running up & down the nearby beach.

One year later! I suppose it's an appropriate time to make an update, especially since the Skully-Pede has gotten some attention recently. A few months ago, I was bashing the Skully at a local gravel parking lot, when the screw pin that attaches the steering block to the caster block worked itself out, completely, which decommissioned my truck. I looked around, but couldn't find the pin. A few months before that, my right rear shock rod end had broken, causing it to pop off under hard compression, and I had neglected to fix that, so I took the truck home and tossed it on the shelf. Due to life, and other more interesting projects, the Skully remained untouched.

Recently, I got the bug for building up another Rustler, and contemplated reverting this one back to the Rustler it started out as. In retrospection, however, I had regretted trading off my hopped up Traxxas Son-uva Digger, which is why I built this Skully in the first place, so I decided to get a new Rustler pre-roller chassis off eBay, as well as some blue RPM parts. This way, the Skully remains status quo. After all, I have a Classic Bigfoot body in a box that I would like to use every once and awhile, and also plan to get that new Patriotic-themed Bigfoot body, so it's best to keep this blue-themed chassis.

Having thought about these things, I was inspired to get the Skully running again, so I quickly replaced the broken rod end, but the missing screw pin was more of a challenge, because of where the threading & screw-in occurs. I didn't have any available replacements, and since I wanted to run it in the morning, before I started work, I took a 3mm x 25mm cap head screw and dremeled about 4/5 of the threading, down to the tip, to emulate the lost screw pin. This worked perfectly, and I made sure to apply thread-lock when screwing it in.

It was fun getting the Skully on the ground and running, and I even found myself taking the time to improve my driving skills, since there are some benefits of a short wheelbase that can be taken advantage of, with skillful throttle control. I have it tuned for tarmac, mostly, since that it what is most accessible to me, so having this fun experience inspired me to order a set of Pro-Line Prime 2.8's, so I can have more mastery on the road. Also in the future will be a swap-out with a Hot-Racing aluminum transmission case, so that I can use the silver Integy case on an "Autumn Rustler" build I have planned for later this summer.

The ET-3S + Velineon 4-pole is a good fit for this build. Love it!

The shock rod end broke while jumping that hill up ahead. 1/8 scale is more applicable.

That looks RAD and a lot of fun! Thanks posting the pics and sharing the adventure!

It is hard for me to deconstruct an rc...which has led to more rcs. Are you still planning on doing an 1/8th size stampede? I have had a lot of fun with mine...good thing I like fixing things!

That integy box looks nice and beefy, I like it! You didn't happen to get a weight on that did you?
    MTFBWY

Look forward to more progress on this! Also curious, what prolines are you gonna go with? Will probably be the next thing I get for my pede, but I'm kinda torn between the Badlands and the Interco Super Swampers and I've read tons of things online arguing which is the "best proline tire." Are you thinking of getting either of those or will you just go with the Mashers for the "authentic" monster truck look. Would love to hear your feedback on whichever you decide on.

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Synnergy View Post
    That looks RAD and a lot of fun! Thanks posting the pics and sharing the adventure!

It is hard for me to deconstruct an rc...which has led to more rcs. Are you still planning on doing an 1/8th size stampede? I have had a lot of fun with mine...good thing I like fixing things!

That integy box looks nice and beefy, I like it! You didn't happen to get a weight on that did you?
    Funny...I have a hard time not deconstructing a perfectly good RC, apparently, since I bought a brand new RTR SCX10 II Deadbolt a few weeks ago and immediately changed the wheelbase to fit another body, and it's currently inoperable.
    The FLM 1/8 Pede is still on the books. I remember, now, chatting with you about it on your thread. Good to hear it's been a fun build. Shouldn't take long to do, but it's been hard to get anything done in my house, what with a fussy 8 mo old. Same old drill!
    Didn't get the weight of the Integy box.

Quote Originally Posted by PJbottoms View Post
    Look forward to more progress on this! Also curious, what prolines are you gonna go with? Will probably be the next thing I get for my pede, but I'm kinda torn between the Badlands and the Interco Super Swampers and I've read tons of things online arguing which is the "best proline tire." Are you thinking of getting either of those or will you just go with the Mashers for the "authentic" monster truck look. Would love to hear your feedback on whichever you decide on.
    Check out the last paragraph in my last post.

Oooh, Dang! Nice Build Man! Looks Sick!
    If you ain't getting dirty, you ain't having fun.

Quote Originally Posted by rcdabbler View Post

Check out the last paragraph in my last post.
    Doh! For some reason either my brain just completely skipped over the word "Prime" there.

Quote Originally Posted by Traxxas9008 View Post
    Oooh, Dang! Nice Build Man! Looks Sick!
    Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by PJbottoms View Post
    Doh! For some reason either my brain just completely skipped over the word "Prime" there.
    No biggy. On a side note, I do own a pair of Pro-Line Super Swamper 2.8's but have never used them. I bought them to put on my Stampede 4x4, but never got around to it. They look good, and I think they would go best with a more scale looking body, like that new Pro-Line 2019 Chevy Silverado Z71 Trail Boss (intended for either the Pro-MT 4x4 or Pede 4x4), or perhaps the Ambush body.