RC poster

Horrible Rustler XL-5 sound

So I was driving my Rustler XL-5 and hit a bump. Then it started making this horrible screeching noise. At low throttle there is a clicking sound and at high throttle the car will screech and take a second to start moving. I have taken the transmission completely apart several times and everything looks fine! Anyone know what is going on? Here is a video I just recorded of the sound... I ran the motor by itself and that sounded fine.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TFE-...ature=youtu.be

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    At the very least your clutch is very loose. Also sounds like your spur gear is shot. Are the teeth eaten up. Have you taken the dirrerential apart when the tranny is out? How are the sun and planet gears?

RC poster
    Everything is nice and tight and all of the teeth on all of the gears are completely fine inside the tranny and inside the sun and planet gear too. I've taken everything completely apart and can't see anything that looks bad. The only thing I can see possibly wrong is the differential is a little loose. I'm so confused.

RC Qualifier

I think I know. I forget what the gear is called it's the long one that holds the spur and and goes into the transmission. Have you tried checking the tiny little pin isn't sheared off? I had a thread about it about a year ago back.

Basically it's the 1/16 drill bit mod

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

RC Turnbuckle Jr.

Idler gear, but he said he'd checked. Shear pin

RC poster
    Ok guys I figured it out, basically I either had my spur on too tight or too loose and needed to test it until I got it just right, also needed to adjust the motor gear so it meshed just right with the spur gear. On top of that my wheels were way off balance from having water in the foam. A combination of all these things made it so hard to figure out. Thank you guys!

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kirblar64 View Post
    Ok guys I figured it out, basically I either had my spur on too tight or too loose and needed to test it until I got it just right, also needed to adjust the motor gear so it meshed just right with the spur gear. On top of that my wheels were way off balance from having water in the foam. A combination of all these things made it so hard to figure out. Thank you guys!
    No offense but I told you about the clutch(spur gear) in my first reply. The noise is a dead give away.

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Gripdog7205 View Post
    No offense but I told you about the clutch(spur gear) in my first reply. The noise is a dead give away.
    I understand that now. I thought my spur gear looked fine but after educating myself a little more I realized it was not fine. Sorry about that.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kirblar64 View Post
    I understand that now. I thought my spur gear looked fine but after educating myself a little more I realized it was not fine. Sorry about that.
    It's all good. Glad your learning. You're doing it the best way. Break it, fix it, repeat. Pretty sure that's someone's signature.