Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tough times

Tough times

Hi folks,
    As some of you know I had to have shoulder surgery the beginning of last month and I'm on the mend. Well, just before I had surgery my mother, who lives with us as we are her caregivers. Her health is not the greatest but the past 3 years my wife, 2 kids have changed their entire lives to help out.
    Last January my mom had to go to hospital and physical rehab center due to pnuemonia and a U.T.I. The cough never completely cleared up, but no fluid in the lungs... She would cought 1-2 times a day and then blood every now and then.
    We persisted with her Dr. something is wrong. Soage. she was set up for a C.T. scan just after my shoulder surgery, it led to a P.E.T. scan as a mass was found in her left lung. The P.E.T. scan results came in last Friday. It is lung cancer, it is malignant and now time for a biopsy.
    The Dr.'s doubt it can be handled with medicine, they also confirmed that if surgery was needed they doubt if she would survive the surgery, so it is not going to be an option.
    My wife is caring for me, I can not drive as 4 procedures were done on my shoulder and it is a slow recovery but going well.

Being an immigrant family to the U.S. I only had my father, mother and sister around. My Sister abused my mother 3 years ago leaving me to drive accross the state to go get her, her health was neglected, my sister had blocked all my calls. So we had to tear apart our small home to accommodate her needs.

I am asking for your prayers and kind thoughts. our family has endured a pretty tough 3 years, my father is passed away over 17 years ago, my wife has been my and my mother's angel, all the Dr. appointments, her meals, watches over her medications. If it was not for her the cancaer would not have been found at this stage, giving us some chances of hope.

This has been some of the hardest times I can remember or care to remember. My wife has been the best thing that has ever happened to me as well as my kids. I count my blessings. A t this time I ask for health for my wife, the best for my mother and hopes that she does not suffer much and that my sister does not create a lot of stress for my mom as my sister is sick in the head.

Thanks for everything my R/C Buddies. I am a God fearing 53 year old man who is "Old School", and any prayers at this time are more than welcomed.

Thanks, I will keep all posted. I don't know how long it takes to get results from the biopsy, I just pray surgery is not required or if there is no choice that my mom does not suffer much. Research shows patients goes through a lot with lung cancer... This is one very scared household and we are all doing our best to keep her comfortable and in good spirits.

Thanks in Advance,
    Rob -AKA- Nitronaught...
    All Lives Matter
    United We Stand, Divided We Fall

RC Competitor
    Prayers go at to you and your family...God bless

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Sorry to hear about all that is going on with you and your family, I hope and pray that your situation gets better.

Praying for you,
    Maxx
    "Gone racing"

Prayers for you and your family Rob, going through very similar circumstances here with my wife's parents and mine. It can be a very trying ordeal for all. Yes lung cancer is very tough to overcome but I will say pancreatic cancer tops all.
    Hope she does well in her treatment and will keep saying prayers for you and your family.
    T/SportMax/Slayer Pro/Bandit
    Stampede/Rustler

Man... that sucks, you and you're family are in my prayers, I hope your mom will overcome her lung cancer and I hope your shoulder heals well.
    if you fall, I'll catch you! - Your Floor

It sounds like you and your mom are living in a house filled with LOVE .... and that's just about the best medicine you can get for "tough times".
    Best of Luck, and God Bless you all.
    chop it up ... stitch it up ...It's ALIVE !!!

We have family with cancer, like your mom, it is tough, and you count the blessings you have. Every little bit of support you can get helps, this goes double for prayers. Bless your family, and you will be in our prayers.
    Submarine Qualified, Chief Inducted, Navy Retired

I'm sorry to hear that; I hope things get better for you.
    Is owning 27 RC's too many? No way!

Thanks all, my mom is 82, has 1 working kidney, one of the worst cases of Spina Bifida you could ever see, 2 deformed feet and ankles, only 1 working kidney and has had
    Me, I will be fine, my mom, let's just say the odds are not in her favor. If it can not be handled with just medicines, there's no surgeon in their right mind who would put her under the knife as she would not survive the surgery. The only way you can remove the mass surgically is to open up the chest cavity and that alone would probably killl her.

JerrysMaxx, Pancreatic cancer is a very tough one agreed. The other complications for my mom is the real problem when it comes to treatment. Next week is the biopsy and we will know some more answers as to what can be done, the stage it is in.

This hobby has helped me occupy my mind in times like this, unfortunately being laid up myself I can't even do that. So thanks for all your encouragement and prayer. It gives me strength.... Thanks to all. And yes, this is one love filled home, small and cramped, but lots of love.

It's things like this that I have found the R/C community is one of those gifts I have been lucky to be part of...

I have had someone point a loaded gun to my head trying to rob me, bikers with broken bottles wanting to fight as I was an idiot removal technician, I've survived many other tough situations. To be honest, I'm trying to take this one day at a time... This is the toughest thing I've gone through that I can remember. Seems the older I get the harder the challenges...
    I'm 53. It has ben my dream that my mother and father could see my kids graduate college. Since my father will be watching from heaven, I'm hoping my mother will be by my wife's and my side. However things just are not looking that promising due to all the complications. The mass is 3.6cm... Cancer is just plain scary and we barely know anything about it...

Again thanks for the prayers, I always pray for my R/C buddies as well. Wolf, Jerry, Great, Frankenstyle, RCMAD,Slash, Gorilla... Thanks. I'll keep you posted But the more prayers the better. Been getting a bit depressed, my life has always been a fight, but, I am a fighter. My father was house ridden for 10 years, his only escape was the internet, he was so very sick for so long. It brings up some very tough memories.
    I am taking this as an opportunity to spend time with my mom, let her know she is safe, cared for and loved. I will be by her side like I was for my father in which I watched him take his last breath and closed his eyes telling him it was OK to go....
    Sorry if I'm rambling on. Just a lot to handle. God gave me some big shoulders to bear the weight, but then, We never know how much we can hold until something breaks.... Peace be with you all. And thanks..
    All Lives Matter

I am very saddened to hear what you are going through. I went through this with my mother and father and know your pain. My mom passed at an early age of 47 and I never really got the chance to tell her how much I loved her. I hope whoever reads this will let all your family members know how much you honestly love them, because you just never know.

Rob sir! My thoughts and prayers go out to you and your family and shame on your sister for what you said she did. I hope that You keep us informed. In times like these it's good to know that not only family cares. But your RC buddies too! God bless, Michael Scott
    Last edited by lektro; 06-10-2017 at 05:01 PM.
    Choose Life !!!

RC Qualifier
    Wish you and your family the best and keep your heads up high. I know its tough and hope things turn around for the best for the family.

Thoughts and prayers to you all. It's tough when the parents get sick. I lost my dad 15 yrs ago and mom just a few years back.
    Slash 4x4 Ult 2150kv
    Rustler vxl
    Ford GT vxl

Update

Yesterday we took an 82 yr old woman with severe spina bifida, scoliosis, 2 deformed feet, 3 stents, triple bybass, fermural artery bypass, COPD with high blood pressure and 1 working kidney to the hospital to have the mass biopsied. Everything went like it should and there have been no complications to this point.

So in a week or so we will know where to go to from here. Hurry up and wait, I learned it well when I was in the Navy so we're taking it one day at a time.

Hooked her up with a new Samsung 55" Smart TV.... She's loving life and enjoying 4K documentaries and stuff....

Me, started physical therapy on the shoulder now. I look so forward to being able to have my shoulder back and get back into my R/C's...

Keep up the prayer folks, that woman brought me into the world, worked her but off until 72 yrs old, was in England as a child during the Blitzkrieg bombings. She's seen a lot. I hope this is not going to require surgery, there isn't a surgeon in their right mind that would qualify her healthy enough for her chest to be cut open and the mass removed... It would kill her.

And thanks,,, Your kind words helps....
    All Lives Matter

When it rains it pours.

Sorry to hear your going through this, it is never easy, we'll keep your family in our prayers.

Cancer is just plain nasty. My 20yr old niece has Hodgkin's lymphoma in the upper part of her right lung.
    They are treating her with massive amounts of meds for it.

Hopefully they can help your mother out.
    Look out for the tree/crunch!

LiPo? Naw NITRO!!

The biopsy results are in. "Squamous Cell Carcinoma" is what has been found....

Hurry up and wait. This is common for smokers, so stop smoking!!! It steals everything!!!

I post this for your prayers and good thoughts, but for also so the young ones see this stuff kills!!!!!!!!!
    All Lives Matter

I am a spiritual man. I am keeping your family in my positive thoughts. I hope the best for you
    Member of the 10,000 + posts club! Here to help!

She sounds like one helluva lady .... and seems to have raised a pretty good son too.
    Prayers are with you, wish you guys the best.
    chop it up ... stitch it up ...It's ALIVE !!!

Quote Originally Posted by dr frankenstyle View Post
    She sounds like one helluva lady .... and seems to have raised a pretty good son too.
    Prayers are with you, wish you guys the best.
    Thanks, roles in life have reversed, now it is me who takes care of her as well as mainly my wife.
    I have to work, my wife cares for my mother 24/7 for almost 3 years now. No vacations, no time off. I do what I can when I am home. With my recent surgery and just having to recover from 4 different procedures in 1 shoulder isn't helping matters... She is my Angel and I am truly humbled... Life is very short, you never know what event may come up. I've always been tackled with things in multiples. My shoulder surgery timing has been tough on that part but also enabled me to be around for all these #$%^ tests this woman has had to go through as well as the biopsy.

Yeah my mother is a helluva woman, so is my wife, my kids too. I'm very rich in that category... Typing 1 handed right now. Yes I am also religious, prayer has always been in my day. I'm praying more than usual lately for obvious reasons.

Thanks everyone, Obviously my shoulder is going to be fine, just going through the motions of an excellent surgeon.

That's what we are facing at this point. I'm also grateful to be in a country where there is such medical expertise. Oh, I can do with a little more tenacity/strength once in a while... What a couple months this has been...
    All Lives Matter

Just wanted to chime in and let you know that you and your family have been in my prayers as well.
    Take it easy and don't push yourself... unless you PT tells you that you have to!
    Creativity is intelligence having fun. -Einstein

Just had to laugh

Now, can you think of ANYTHING more ironic than this?

My Orthopedic surgeon went on vacation after my surgery. While on vacation he broke his arm.... Guess I'll be seeing him in physical therapy...... Actually it has created a slew of post operative follow up nightmares as well as prescription nightmares...

My wife has been hot on the Dr.'s tails with my mom, Oncologist appointment this Monday. I do believe this is when and where the treatment options are brought about and we learn more than what little we do know. That should help a little.

Thanks or the P.M.s everyone, your thoughts and prayers are a great help.
    All Lives Matter

Not Surprised

Got a call from the boss/owner of where I have worked for over 15 years, got 4 raises and 3 pay cuts..... Well, while I'm off on temp disability I've been informed "here comes pay cut #4.....

Glad to see they care soooo much for my well being.. Keep the stress levels down right??? Ugh.....

Humm, let's see how fast my response time is to their problems, it will need to equal the pay cut. Less Pay= Less Work in my book. Especially when you give 150% all the time.

Found out my surgeon didn't break his arm, he "broke" his right shoulder!!! He operated on my shoulder..... Too weird... He doesn't have to be back at work until December! I get stuck with some other guy who did not operate on me, not thrilled about that part...

Anyone got any "GOOD NEWS" for a change???
    Last edited by Nitronaught; 06-23-2017 at 10:57 AM.
    All Lives Matter

Wow. That is a lot to have to cope with.
    I am not religious at all, but that doesn't mean I can't wish you luck and all the strength to handle the situation and stay positive.
    Life has ups and downs and often isn't fair. It can even get worse at moments you think it couldn't. Keep faith in the up that always comes after a down.
    Stick to your values and stay positive. One day that positivity pays back.

My thoughts are with you. All the best!
    Nobody is born with experience

lil Updatm

Well, my shoulder is doing fine, hurts, like it's supposed to. When I do my exercises it's not like a coffee grinder any more, just hurts like, well, you know....

Monday we will be going for a consultation on what an 83 yr Old woman with 1 working kidney, open heart surgery patient, 3 stents, COPD, can even handle.

There's this Cyber Knife procedure, if she is eligible, it has a 80% success rate. Not very invasive, not putting radiation through the entire body, just around the mass.....

No stress...
    All Lives Matter

RC Qualifier
    Good to hear something is turning around for you at least. Wishing your mom and family the best. Sounds like she's a tuff lady. Take care of yourself and keep your head up high in tough times.

Quote Originally Posted by Nitronaught View Post
    Got a call from the boss/owner of where I have worked for over 15 years, got 4 raises and 3 pay cuts..... Well, while I'm off on temp disability I've been informed "here comes pay cut #4.....

Glad to see they care soooo much for my well being.. Keep the stress levels down right??? Ugh.....

Humm, let's see how fast my response time is to their problems, it will need to equal the pay cut. Less Pay= Less Work in my book. Especially when you give 150% all the time.

Found out my surgeon didn't break his arm, he "broke" his right shoulder!!! He operated on my shoulder..... Too weird... He doesn't have to be back at work until December! I get stuck with some other guy who did not operate on me, not thrilled about that part...

Anyone got any "GOOD NEWS" for a change???
    Wow I know the feeling there sir. You give them! The state of Virginia 200% And get 100% in pay. 29 years worth. What a joke. Only good thing is a paycheck way below the work you do for it and get a thank you once a year. Pretty sad stuff, I have to admit. If you get hurt on the job and miss more than 7 weeks of work they want to take a third of your leave to make a full paycheck. Workers comp really sucks.
    Choose Life !!!

A bit late, but you and the family are in my prayers bud...
    "We know who you are"

Quote Originally Posted by He123321 View Post
    A bit late, but you and the family are in my prayers bud...
    Good news, We have now gone through another slew of Dr.s, tests...

Got to her Radioligic Oncologistic Surgeon, seems there's a procedure called Cyber Knife, which localizes the radiation to the area around the mass. Keyhole surgery and they do not have to introduce radioactive isotopes all through her 83 yr. old body. Side affects, little to none.

Thanks Man, We are having a lot of positive thoughts and prayers, it does help, and is GREATLY appreciated.... I"ve got work hammering at my door, Dr. does not want to release me to drive yet alone work. working one handed from home.

So, tomorrow, they take a laser measurement which actually can be placed OVER the previous scans to give the Dr.'s the areas to place the implants into the lungs.

Biggest risk, the lung collapses. So yeah, prayers, good thoughts are appreciated.
    All Lives Matter

Thanks and going STRONG

Well, I'm now get my fun of P.T. on my shoulder, less stretches, now strength. It was really painful at first but then it's a lot less and I can really feel things are getting better.

My mom had her first Radiation Treatment, same as what people know of as Cyber Knife... Not feeling so hot today as her treatment was yesterday, but all considering, she is doing great.

Thanks for all your thoughts, PM's of encouragement and prayers folks. I'm not out of the woods and my company is now cutting my pay by over $400.00 per month. I've tightened that belt strap so tight my face turns blue, but, us Nitronaught's, we are survivors...

Again Thanks, things are looking very optimistic and we have positivity all around...
    All Lives Matter

I'm glad to hear that your mom is expected to be healed, and I'm glad your shoulder is doing better. My dad has had two shoulder surgeries and two carpultunnal surgeries and being a self employed mechanic, it was really hard times for a little while. Y'all are still in my thoughts and prayers and I hope that everything continues to go smoothly.
    if you fall, I'll catch you! - Your Floor

RC Qualifier
    That's terrible nitronaught that your work is cutting back your pay $400 a month. To me $400 is a lot of money and I'd image to many others. I feel many of us work very hard to make a living and when a company cuts your pay its a slap in the face, putting it in a nice term of words to use. I feel where your coming from far as money is concerned.

My wife was forced out of her job by the new head boss that transferred from another location a few weeks ago. So it's been very tough for me to work my butt off to make up the money she was making. Lucky for me my main job is short on people and work is behind so I have been working overtime. Last week I worked 84 hours between two jobs working 6 days. Guess I'm gratefulni could do this for now. Just the last couple of days she got hired with a new place, better hours and more pay. So we get to see each other a bit more than we have in the past. Sorry not trying to jack your thread.

It's good to hear your family and yourself is slowly bouncing back from theses tough times. Sounds like you have good support at home. Again wishing you the best of luck. Hang in there man. You say your family is survivors, reminds me it's something my brother tells me all the time, our family is survivors and fighters.

Quote Originally Posted by Nitronaught View Post
    Hi folks,
    As some of you know I had to have shoulder surgery the beginning of last month and I'm on the mend. Well, just before I had surgery my mother, who lives with us as we are her caregivers. Her health is not the greatest but the past 3 years my wife, 2 kids have changed their entire lives to help out.
    Last January my mom had to go to hospital and physical rehab center due to pnuemonia and a U.T.I. The cough never completely cleared up, but no fluid in the lungs... She would cought 1-2 times a day and then blood every now and then.
    We persisted with her Dr. something is wrong. Soage. she was set up for a C.T. scan just after my shoulder surgery, it led to a P.E.T. scan as a mass was found in her left lung. The P.E.T. scan results came in last Friday. It is lung cancer, it is malignant and now time for a biopsy.
    The Dr.'s doubt it can be handled with medicine, they also confirmed that if surgery was needed they doubt if she would survive the surgery, so it is not going to be an option.
    My wife is caring for me, I can not drive as 4 procedures were done on my shoulder and it is a slow recovery but going well.

Being an immigrant family to the U.S. I only had my father, mother and sister around. My Sister abused my mother 3 years ago leaving me to drive accross the state to go get her, her health was neglected, my sister had blocked all my calls. So we had to tear apart our small home to accommodate her needs.

I am asking for your prayers and kind thoughts. our family has endured a pretty tough 3 years, my father is passed away over 17 years ago, my wife has been my and my mother's angel, all the Dr. appointments, her meals, watches over her medications. If it was not for her the cancaer would not have been found at this stage, giving us some chances of hope.

This has been some of the hardest times I can remember or care to remember. My wife has been the best thing that has ever happened to me as well as my kids. I count my blessings. A t this time I ask for health for my wife, the best for my mother and hopes that she does not suffer much and that my sister does not create a lot of stress for my mom as my sister is sick in the head.

Thanks for everything my R/C Buddies. I am a God fearing 53 year old man who is "Old School", and any prayers at this time are more than welcomed.

Thanks, I will keep all posted. I don't know how long it takes to get results from the biopsy, I just pray surgery is not required or if there is no choice that my mom does not suffer much. Research shows patients goes through a lot with lung cancer... This is one very scared household and we are all doing our best to keep her comfortable and in good spirits.

Thanks in Advance,
    Rob -AKA- Nitronaught...
    Hey Rob- Good to hear things are getting better for your mom, yourself and family. May I ask what was wrong with your shoulder. Was it a torn rotator cuff? Plus!
    Last edited by lektro; 07-19-2017 at 08:10 AM.
    Choose Life !!!

Quote Originally Posted by lektro View Post
    Hey Rob- Good to hear things are getting better for your mom, yourself and family. May I ask what was wrong with your shoulder. Was it a torn rotator cuff? Plus!
    Separated clavicle, the scapula needed repair, some procedure called a S.L.A.P. was done, bone spurs had to be shaved off and a torn rotator cuff.

Every procedure they can do on a shoulder was done.
    All Lives Matter

RC Qualifier
    continued prayers for you and your family!
    RC. an addiction I'm proud of

RC poster
    I pray blessings on you family and divine break through.

Thanks to all

Thanks all.... It's been a very long ride since May 3rd. My mother is handling the radiation treatment OK but lets not kids ouorselves, their shooting her in the lung with radiation and that is nasty on the body....

Our 14 yr old pooch, she's having troubles. Although she does not seem to be in pain, she can not tell when she has to poop (went to the vet, she's old), now she is having issues with strength in her legs. I have a very tough decision to make. We love our dog but I will not let an animal suffer. I am having to figure out when and it's one of the harder things to deal with right now. I know my mother loves that dog, the kids love her so very much. My wife also is very attached. My concern is mainly for my Mom's spirits, she needs all the positive energy she can get. Last thing she needs is to get upset.

Me, Physical therapy sucks, but it's what makes things better SLOWLY.. We re-evaluated and looks like another 2-3 weeks before I can drive or get back to working.. I'm going a little stir crazy.

Thanks to all, reading your positive messages DOES help. I'm moving on, doing a lot of praying. These days it's for wisdom and patience and strength. Lately I need that and more.

Oh, and the pay cut... I'm going to have to do a 2nd job when I can because we are not making the bills. Cable TV is cancelled, Internet is downgraded thermostat is raised, every little thing has been cut down. Still the math isn't working and I'm over my head. May God have mercy on those people who decided to pay me just about the same I was being paid 16 years ago.... I'm not alone there, but there are so few who have been there as long as I have...
    Last edited by Nitronaught; 07-26-2017 at 11:22 AM.
    All Lives Matter

yes the inflation is sad and getting worse be the minute. hope all of your problem are fixed soon.
    SLAM!
    "That Tree jumped right in front of me"

Quote Originally Posted by Rcguy5 View Post
    yes the inflation is sad and getting worse be the minute. hope all of your problem are fixed soon.
    Money isn't everything, I've got an awesome family, faith and good friends. But man there's one heck of a burden going on...
    All Lives Matter

RC Qualifier
    Well your not alone on getting a second job, welcome to the club unfortunately. Hopefully you won't have to work a second job for long. Definitely not fun by all means. Talks a strong minded person to work a second job I think. It's good you have a strong family and friends by your side. Best of luck to you.

Updating,,, been busting my tail on my physical rehab. Finished getting everything stretched out and I've been doing my exercises at home with an added 12-15% as long as I'm not feeling BAD pain... There's a difference between good pain and bad pain... Gotta know those thresholds.. Found mine and stuck with it... My wife has had to drive me 2 times a week to the Physical therapist, 1 hour drive easy. So had a strength evaluation and I'm in my final stage of Physical Therapy. Just 4 more weeks... 2 weeks I get evaluated, hopefully released to drive and be able physically be at work 2-3 days a week, virtually working for the rest. It's my way to deal with the travel costs since the pay cut.

I've picked up a few private gigs for cash, writing code for a few people needing some scripting help. Soo, I hope that pans out.
    We've changed up the feeding for our pooch, she's stronger but,,, I'm not going to let her suffer and right now, she does not seem to be suffering or in any kinds of discomfort. I'll know when the time has come... One fantastic dog. I'll not be selfish and do what is fair when that time comes, appreciate these times while we can.

My mom, well she's on her 2nd treatment for the lung cancer, she's handling the treatments fairly well. I'm now at a level where I'm able to assist her without messing up my arms. So things are definitely on the upside... Thank God... Thanks everyone!! We are getting there...
    All Lives Matter

I've been working from home now since my surgery, however I have managed to have my son drive me to the office on the weekends to do things like take down all the servers and replace 38 lead cell batteries, pick up laptops for repair, all with 1 hand. I have managed to work 40+hrs after the first month.

Well while i've been out they cut my pay and others as well, not alone in that.

Now I've been called into a conference call with the 2 owners, the head of accounting AND their hired henchman their business consultant. My office resides right next to the owners, in 16 years, every time I have seen this it usually ends in someone being fired or they are put in such a position they can not work there and they quit.

SO at 12:30pm I will be on a call and after that probably unemployed... Needless to say didn't sleep much last night.

I'm a man who has faith and believes in religion. No matter what I know I am being watched over. However, it's a scary ride. I am trying to keep 2 young men in college, my mother lives with us and battling lung cancer, I relly have put my heart and soul into my job and that's probably why it has me so upset.

I'm asking you guys, keep the prayers and good thoughts coming today please..... I could really do with it.... This has been a long hard road and no way am I reaching the finish line yet.... Sorry guys I don't have something better to say. It's life and unfortunately this is the part that sucks and I'm living it....
    All Lives Matter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast