RC Enthusiast

Talking How do you politely tell people/kids they can't play with your "toy"?

So I've been out of the R/C game for about 4 years. Saw the Xmaxx and instantly fell in love with it and picked one up the other day. I live in a complex now with a lot of neighbor kids who play outside every day so naturally they are like moths to a flame when they see the truck. I don't mind spectators but the most awkward and uncomfortable thing for me is having people come up and asking if they can play with it, because most think it's "just a toy". Which it is, but a very expensive one.

How do you guys gracefully and politely tell them to eff off? Lol. I don't wanna be "that guy" in the neighborhood who on kids who want to have fun. As I'm sure their parents will feel that way.
    Last edited by Double G; 06-09-2017 at 08:04 PM.

RC Racer
    "Sorry bud, but this is pretty expensive. I'd rather break it then have you break it."

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Traxxas Slash 4x4
    Traxxas Blast

setup the Link system and turn the throttle down to 10%. then let them all take a quick spin with it. they'll be super geeked and run home and tell their parents "OMG I DROVE A HUGE R/C TRUCK!!"
    youtube: rizzodtheRCvlogger

RC Competitor
    Just carry a waiver and tell the kid to have his parents sign it...If my son runs himself over with this huge truck or break it in anyway..I take full responsibility of buying a new one or pay for the doctor bill....sign Dad

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

RC Competitor
    A few months ago I took my Xmaxx to the park and I think I off a soccer coach....cause more then half off his team stop practising and ran to see my Xmaxx...All the kids wanted to use it but I told them...this is not a toy and you can really hurt someone if you dont know how to use it

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Double G; 06-09-2017 at 08:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by panek33 View Post
    "Sorry bud, but this is pretty expensive. I'd rather break it then have you break it."
    I usually go this route. Especially if there's more than one kid.

Quote Originally Posted by rizz0d View Post
    setup the Link system and turn the throttle down to 10%. then let them all take a quick spin with it. they'll be super geeked and run home and tell their parents "OMG I DROVE A HUGE R/C TRUCK!!"
    If it's a single kid and a parent or guardian is around, I'll do something like this if they aren't jerks about it and taller than my waist (I don't know how old kids are anymore, 5-20 all seem like 5 to me now). Since I use an adjustable radio, it's fairly quick to turn the EPA down on the throttle, let them run it for 10 minutes or so and tell them it's slower because I made it slower for them because it's expensive.

Usually, while they are at the wheel, I'll guide them a bit and make sure they aren't near cars/highway/water and their parent/guardian will ask stuff, like how much, where to get it. I tell them what a cheap rig costs with the name, model. Then tell them what I have into the one their kid is currently driving. After they realize I just let their kid play with a $700 toy, they usually kind of wrap things up quick on their own and leave saying something to their kid like "Say thank you to the nice man, and mean it!".
    https://www.youtube.com/c/olds97lss

RC Racer
    I haven't had much of an issue. Tell them sorry, but no. If they ask why I tell them all that's been said here. I did sort of let my friends daughter drive it when I first got it. I controlled the throttle and let her steer. Worked well cuz I could stop if she was going to hit something or go really fast if she was straight. Surprisingly, she hasn't asked me to drive it again.

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

RC Enthusiast
    This is all good advice guys. Thanks! I should feel a bit more comfortable in these situations now... lol. I feel bad, because I know when I was a kid I felt the same way and wanted to play with cool stuff and was usually super disappointed when they said no. Back then I didn't understand, but now I do. Weird how that works out.

Colton, Inland Empire, Southern California
    even with my slash I say "sorry the last time I crashed it, it cost me 300$ to fix, sorry" no one who asks looks like they got 300$ on them lol.
    Sla2hvxl,pe4evxl,erevobl
    "Richard Chilson"youtube

RC Racer
    one way would be to take your rc stuff some place the people arent.The best place i have to race is on a blacktop street right in front of my house but when that draws a crowd i stop and go out side of town.Theres a few more car's but no people.i'm not taking the chance that some one might get hurt by a rc car going wild.Yeah you could slow it down some but even at 25mph it will hurt if it hit's some one!!

^ yea I do my best to avoid people. I dont like strangers asking to try it or spectators.
    Monster Baja Sla2h VXL
    Rustler VXL

RC Racer
    I put mine in learning mode and hand over the controller. As long as it's only one or two and not a crowd. It'll be slow enough not to break any other objects or children.

The parents generally get it back to me right after they find out it's a relatively inexpensive hobby truck at $1500.

RC Qualifier
    The thing is, why MUST they have a go anyway.
    If you rock up to a bar in a McLaren P1, Porsche 918, or 'even' (I know I'm exaggerating) a stock 911 Carrera, if somebody comes over and says 'can I have a go?' do you hand over the keys - not a chance.

It depends on where, who, do you know them, have they any RC experience, can you trust them, ... and what is your 'Plan B' if/as/when something gets broken - which it probably will in inexperienced hands?

Smaller, lesser powered RC's, with people I believe have some 'mechanical sympathy' I might consider - thing is, all of mine at all scales are relatively over-powered!!

It's a personal and individual thing, but that truck got there with a lot of 'hard earned', so there is zero obligation to 'be nice and considerate'. Options are to move on, saying batteries are low, or you 'need to buy some groceries'.
    Al.

Quote Originally Posted by jon v View Post
    one way would be to take your rc stuff some place the people arent.The best place i have to race is on a blacktop street right in front of my house but when that draws a crowd i stop and go out side of town.Theres a few more car's but no people.i'm not taking the chance that some one might get hurt by a rc car going wild.Yeah you could slow it down some but even at 25mph it will hurt if it hit's some one!!
    I couldn't help but have this visual of a bunch of kids seeing you drive your r/c, & say "Hey, he's driving that r/c car again, let's run him out of town!"
    V1 6s w/8s conversion
    Max5 Leopard 1090kv

Quote Originally Posted by atom3624 View Post
    The thing is, why MUST they have a go anyway.
    If you rock up to a bar in a McLaren P1, Porsche 918, or 'even' (I know I'm exaggerating) a stock 911 Carrera, if somebody comes over and says 'can I have a go?' do you hand over the keys - not a chance.
    Probably because an RC car is a perceptibly more attainable item.

I mean really... if I had the money for a McLaren P1, I'd make my own track(s) with razor wire electric fence to keep people away.
    https://www.youtube.com/c/olds97lss

RC Qualifier
    There's your answer then, electric fence... keep out the rabble, and the dog walkers...
    Again, too much mirth!

It's a very subjective thing. Human nature makes you want to help others - most 'normal people' anyway, but you have to be realistic.

Are you genuinely disturbing / annoying people, or infringing on their rights - generally NO - most of us are very careful and selective where we go - away from others, wide open areas, good visibility ....

Do they have a RIGHT to test drive your pride and joy - again, NO.

What to say - O/P question?
    Generally 'no', as indicated, without being too impolite.

Al.

RC Qualifier
    One word No
    Revo3.3 - LRP ZR.30 Spec 2/BUKU Pipe

RC Enthusiast
    Took the maxx to a family BBQ over the weekend with a lot of little kids. They all really wanted to play with it. Lol. But hey, got some good practice saying "No". Annnnd its still awkward. One of them even tried sitting on it. D:

RC Competitor
    I get it a lot from young people at the beach when I take mine there. I am also a power kiter, meaning I fly big kites that are extremely dangerous and potentially deadly to the untrained. I get lots of practice saying no for the same reasons, "No, because this can be very dangerous for you or other people if you have never done it before. This is also very expensive equipment and I would hate for you to have to pay for repairs or replacement if you had an accident."

RC Enthusiast
    I ask if they can afford to fix it if they break it. They ask how much was it, I say 1000$ they walk away.

RC Qualifier
    I made the mistake of letting a co worker run my xmaxx. In 5 min he landed wrong and broke the rear tail light I said ok stuff happens, than I went to grab a drink as I'm walking back threw the wear house I see my xmaxx doing donuts in parking lot and all a sudden foam flys up in the air "it was raining so the tires where filled with water" I said ok we had enough fun. Got it home found out he cracked the front light bar too. So with in a 15 min run he destroyed $135 in parts from lack of skill/respect/knowledge when running a truck this size with this much power. NEVER AGAIN!!! As stated above usually when people ask how much it cost and I say $1000 people usually walk away lol. I tell the neighborhood kids that this truck can really hurt someone and cause a lot of damage so sorry only me and my son can run it.
    Bash it,Break it,Fix it,Rinse And Repeat

RC Enthusiast
    Politely say, Jog on..