RC poster

New MERV Owner Questions

Hey all - I'm looking into a pair of MERVs for my boys. It looks like this truck is the best bang for the buck. Is there anything I should be looking at? Also regarding bumpers, I'm looking at the T-Bone Racing Thrasher and Wide Basher. Is there are general opinion one way or the other on these? Any help would be great. Thanks!

RC Qualifier
    You need the main chassis brace to install those

RC poster
    Understood. Just wondering if one of those is better at keeping the truck from getting beat up too much. Trying to minimize repair time, if possible. Thanks.

RC poster
    I got my merv a few months ago and it seems like every time I take it out for a ride, I end up braking the plastic steering servo gears. I am currently looking for a new servo, and I think I'll be getting a Savox SAVSW0250MG. It has metal gears, is waterproof, and is supposed to be a direct drop in. Either way, a better servo would be a good choice. You may also want to get a heavier shock oil weight, because otherwise you car will bounce all over. I think the oil that it comes with is 40wt.
    You haven't lived tell you've crashed

RC Champion
    If your boys are newish to rc, you will want a t-bone, but if they don't hit things and keep it out of skate parks, it's not necessary. Even with a t-bone hitting immovable objects (curbs, tires, trees, etc) will break parts.
    If they are still in the hitting things stage, don't get metal parts. Exceptions are a metal gear servo and a metal steering bellcrank.
    RPM arms are a good idea.
    The less weight you add, the better.
    Dacaur

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by eaglehawk494 View Post
    I got my merv a few months ago and it seems like every time I take it out for a ride, I end up braking the plastic steering servo gears. I am currently looking for a new servo, and I think I'll be getting a Savox SAVSW0250MG. It has metal gears, is waterproof, and is supposed to be a direct drop in. Either way, a better servo would be a good choice. You may also want to get a heavier shock oil weight, because otherwise you car will bounce all over. I think the oil that it comes with is 40wt.
    Yes that servo is great. I've bought four over the years for the 1/16 Traxxas cars and never had one fail on me.