RC poster

Some part info please!

Hello all I have just jumped into the traxxas level of rc just last week, have had rc cars before but not men sized rc cars lol. I have 2 2wd slashes and love both of them, I love them so much I drove them till they broke hahah so I need to know where and how you all find your parts, I want to make sure I order the right ones. And also how do you know the name of the parts? One is like a rear sway bar but I find no results, the other is a front hub that holds the wheel in place by that little metal rod. Also thoughts and opinions on metal vs plastic should I always upgrade to metal if possible? And last I have a big 3s lipo that doesn't fit in the battery holder, I don't want to go thru a zip tie every time I run which is a lot! I will post a few pics of what I have and what broke if I can figure out how tomorrow lol. Thanks in advance!!

RC Qualifier
    Aluminum is not always your best choice to replace plastic. The best place to get parts is whoever is the closest to you . A local hobby shop , there are many online places that sell parts do a quick search. And as always the traxxas forums are another good source of info .

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Look through the exploded views for parts..... https://traxxas.com/products/models/...-tsm?t=support
    Click on the part you need and it will pop up and give you details of the part.
    Sounds as if you need a rear camber link and a front castor block.
    You did not mention if this is a VXL or XL-5 model but I am guessing XL-5 if your rear camber link is broken. The page I posted is for the VXL which is the same as the XL-5 but with some upgraded parts.
    You may have to get the extended mount for your esc to raise it for the battery to fit under or move the esc to the side well area.
    Aluminum parts are better in some areas such as the castor blocks and axle carriers and if you have the plastic camber links I would upgrade to the VXL camber turnbuckles.
    Last edited by JerrysMaxx; 06-11-2017 at 07:26 AM.
    T/SportMax/Slayer Pro/Bandit
    Stampede/Rustler

RC poster
    I was able to get parts off a lemon I bought but have already get most my money back in the parts I have broke already. I guess I'm kinda rough on them lol that or some of the parts are just worn out. I am unsure of the model I have I just know their traxxas slash and both are upgraded pretty well I am running 3s lipos. Also could not figure out how to upload pictures.

My new problem is
    1) how do you know when your slipper clutch goes out?
    2) how do you know how tight or loose it needs to be?
    3) Would it be wise to upgrade it or is stock fine?

Also one last issue, the plastic nut that goes over the rear axel with the little pin that goes in the little slit, I guess I have so much torque that it rounds off where the wheel is suppose to fit snug over it it's still good no but I foresee it being a problem and I definitely don't want to be buying wheels left and right. A Metal nut and aluminum wheels would be awesome but I find nothing of the sort. Thanks again for any help.
    Last edited by FastSlash1723; 06-11-2017 at 10:32 PM.

RC Racer
    I run my slipper at half turn out from full tight, allready replaced stock pads with aluminum ones.
    slipper setting based on surface you are running on, tighter for high grip track, looser for looser track (it aids in limiting wheel spin)
    Axle hex: double check fit as i have not had issues with those yet and race almost every weekend
    Slash 2wd
    it is all about having fun

Accepting requests for bashing at GREENWOOD BASHPLEX in Pittsburgh PA!! Check the thread in the track buddy forum and reply there or pm
    1) pull it out, look to see if the slipper pads are cracked broken or missing. Look at the metal slipper disk, and make sure it's not warped or overheated. Look at the bearing and see if it is siezed or gritty.If they are good, sand the slipper pads and disk lightly with fine sandpaper to take the glaze off, reassemble and you good.

2) set it so that it slips for about the 1st 5 to 10 feet when you take off at full throttle on a high traction surface. You'll be able to hear the slip and grab of the clutch if you listen closely. High pitched whine...

3) I have had 1 set of pads on my slipper for the last 3 years. It is not a necessity to upgrade it, but proper adjustment and routine maintenance will be key in keeping it and your drive train healthy.

The wheel hex is the part you are trying to name. STRC makes 12mm alum wheel hexes.I have never had issues with the plastic hexes, but I've heard many here have the same issue as you.

Search ebay, tower hobbies, a main hobbys,rpp hobbies etc to find the parts and part numbers you want, and then you can order there, or take those part numbers to your lhs. Make sure you know exactly what you need before you go to the lhs, as in my experience most places have less knowledge than a bowling ball about the stuff I need.

Welcome to the forum 8)
    Last edited by rag6; 06-23-2017 at 08:15 PM.
    Ya can't polish fertilizer...

RC poster
    Thanks for the tips I will have to tweak it this weekend after I put some more new parts on. #moneypit

My problem isn't the wheel hex its self but the wheel. It rounds off where the wheel is suppose to go over the hex. A guy told me to glue the hex to the wheel? Has anyone heard of that?

I stripped my clutch good thing I have 3 other cars to get a quick part off of to keep playing lol the plastic teeth are no more. Should I go metal with it?

I'm getting better at finding my parts but I'm now in need of axles metal are preferable, I'm pretty rough I like haveing fun I can not seem to find a good pair on amazon, most have bad reviews. Will the slash 4x4 fit the 2WD?

Lastly I have yet to buy a brand new traxxas the wife wants to get me one for Christmas **** yeahh!!! But what to get???? Want to keep it right around $1,000 should I get the xmaxx? Slash 4x4? Nitro or electric? Blue or green?? Lol so many options!! What do you all think? Definitely want a 4x4 for sure. I like going really fast and jumping but also like going off road hill and rock climbing haven't been in any mud with them but I think it would be fun as well.

Sorry or any spelling errors I don't have time to check as always thanks for any input it is much appreciated!!

RC poster
    Or should I go bigger and get a 1/5 scale rc? Are they pretty comparable to my brushless running 3s lipos?

PM me if you want to bash near Grass Valley, CA
    Here's how I hold the batteries in. It cast pennies, took seconds and holds like iron. Velcro for the win.

Obstacle Magnet

RC poster
    Nice touch lol

I think I may have settled with a 1/5 scale rc I love how big they are and feel it's good by to be more durable and I just love how big it is.

Is there anything special I should know?
    Are they more durable?
    It's a 23cc slash looking one, would it be comparable to my slash?

What's everyone's thoughts on the 1/5 scale rc?

Comparable how? It is much, much bigger than the Slash so...

Problem 1: unless you live on acres of land, you need to find a spot to run it. And then transport it there.

Problem 2: replacement parts or any type of accessorizing is expensive.

Problem 3: you run into something and prepare to shell out some cash as a ~35lb truck cruising at 30-40mph will inflict a bit of damage.

If you have the money and spot to run it then problems 1, 2 and 3 = 0.

The Super Derecho

Accepting requests for bashing at GREENWOOD BASHPLEX in Pittsburgh PA!! Check the thread in the track buddy forum and reply there or pm
    The wheel nut is loosening. That is the root of your issue. Once that happens, the hex on the axle is damaged, and it happens over and over. It's funny that above I mention I've never had hex issues then the next day I round one off on the cheapo haha.

Replace the wheel hex (plastic or metal your choice) replace the wheel, replace the wheel nut with a brand new one and you'll be good.
    Ya can't polish fertilizer...

PM me if you want to bash near Grass Valley, CA
    I very strongly suggest using metal hexes. They are much better at preventing a stripped wheel hub. I have gone years without incident.

I recommend you glue (epoxy) the plastic hex into the stripped hub. You can still run it all with the only expense being the adhesive.
    Obstacle Magnet

RC poster
    Comparable as in durability, handling, and speed to a 3s brushless system, I under stand they don't get up and go as fast, but in general I guess I've never personally seen one run or got to play with one. I also know it's opinions but to anyone who has played with one which do you like? Still kinda want an xmaxx too I've seen some videos at skateparks they can take a beating!!!

Also I have about 160 acres in total to have fun with money isn't a big issue I just don't like shelling out money who does??

I took a hit big.. huge yeah huge F'ing hit today with the slash _ didn't pay attention and jumped it about 3 foot in the air before it hit the big metal flagpole at work flying in the air at about 50-55 MPH thankfully nothing broke I laughed!! too bad I didn't get it recorded:/ don't really want to do it again tho lol

Yeah just the luck right?? I haven't stripped any more wheels knock on wood. I went to tradel a rock crawler I had, well I was playing with it one last time on break and a wire on the motor broke **** tankful the guy took a $20 for the inconvenience.
    Last edited by FastSlash1723; 06-27-2017 at 10:00 PM.