RC Enthusiast

How do you adjust the pivot balls to be back to factory

I haven't got a clear answer and figured I would try again. I replaced my axle carriers with some from RPM and they fit great. One problem i have is that at low speeds my rc isn't steering straight. When I try to turn left to stop it from going right it then then starts to drift off the other way, and vise versa. At high speeds it doesn't do this, it only slightly drifts off to the left, which i fix by lightly turning right.
    Is there a guide to return the pivot balls to factory spec or am I on my own.

RC Qualifier
    RPM included instructions in the package for the pivot balls

RPM instructions:

#73162, #73165 & #73169 - Traxxas 1/16th Scale Axle Carriers

What's Included:
    1 - axle carrier tree (1 - left axle carrier, 1 - right axle carrier, 4 - molded caps) and 8 - M2 x 8mm flathead screws.

Disassembly:
    Using your RPM #70992 Camber Gauge, take note of your stock Camber and Toe angles before taking your truck apart. Remove your stock axle carriers, retaining the stock bearings and pivot balls for the RPM carriers.

Set Up:
    Carefully remove each of the four molded caps from the axle carriers using a set of sharp plastic cutters. Do not cut into the sides of the parts! Take a close look at the molded caps. One edge is round while the other has a clearance cut on it. That side will go towards the axle when they are installed. Once the caps are removed, carefully trim any remaining gate material away from the axle carriers.

Bearing Installation:
    Press your inner bearings (the larger of the two sizes) into the back of the axle carriers. It is imperative that the bearing is pressed in straight and firmly seated. It might be helpful, once you get the bearing started in the bearing bore, to use an axle to finish pressing the bearing in place. Next, press the outer, smaller bearings in place. Slip the axle through both bearings and check the fit. If the axle moves freely and the drive pin hole is clearly exposed, passed the end of the outer bearing, the bearings are installed correctly.

Pivot Ball Installation:
    Slip a pivot ball into the pivot ball hole. Next, slip a molded cap into the pivot ball hole (the round section will go in the hole) making sure the clearance cut in the cap is oriented properly. Thread two of the M2 x 8mm flathead screws into the holes. Use extreme caution here! Tighten the screws evenly, watching to make sure that one screw isn't tightened more than the other. While it is still slight loose, press the pivot ball firmly against the cap to seat it against the screws. This will tell you how much more it needs to be tightened. Continue tightening the screws until you start to feel the pivot ball just beginning to bind. At that point, press the pivot ball into the cap once more and check for a bind. If it still binds, back the screws out turn each. You are looking for free movement of the pivot ball with little to no in / out movement in the carrier.

Install on the Vehicle:
    Take a look at the tie rod ear on the axle carriers. There is a fat ear and a thin ear. The fat ear will always orient towards the bottom of the vehicle. This tells you which carrier is a right and which one is a left since they aren't marked. Install the axle carriers on the vehicle according to Traxxas recommendations (they are stock replacement parts). Take note, RPM axle carriers require the tie rod screw to thread into both axle carrier ears, not just the bottom one like the stock part.

Camber and Toe Adjustments:
    If you're using stock A-arms, thread the pivot balls in until they bottom out in the holes. If you're using RPM A-arms, follow the instructions that came with them. If you have fixed-length tie (toe) rods, you'll need to make equal changes to both the upper and lower pivot balls to adjust your camber so it won't affect your toe angle setting (i.e. for turn clockwise of the upper ball, you'll need to turn the lower ball turn counterclockwise or vice versa. Use Caution: With fixed-length tie (toe) rods, your camber adjustment is limited! Make sure you have free suspension movement (full range) and that no parts of the carriers are hitting anywhere before running the truck.
    Creativity is intelligence having fun. -Einstein