RC poster

Question Better upgrade stability with new version?

I am looking to get into the RC game and was originally going to buy a stampede or slash but after seeing them in person I really like the 1/18 size for its intended backyard fun. After looking at the 1/18 options, I really liked the Teton style and was about to pull the trigger until I started doing some research into upgrades..

After reading about the upgrades I was about to pass on the Teton all together because I planned at minimum changing to a better brushed motor/lipo battery or possibly a brushless setup. I started to change my mind after reading about the amount of upgrades needed to handle it and the constant repairs needed to support it.

Which brings me to my question.. does this new version offer better upgrade options/stability than the previous plastic based version? Or do the plastic spider gears still make this a "pass" if wanting to upgrade to brushless in future and value stability over everything else?

If not brushless, could this handle a brushed motor with heatsink and lipos?

Thanks for the info, really trying to research this and not impulse buy like I usually do :P

RC Racer
    Edit: double post, my bad.

RC Racer
    I purchased two of them once they re-released the Teton w/ the ID connectors and the metal diffs. My 5 year old son is REALLY hard on motors and diffs, so I'm pleased to say that I've had ZERO issues outside of burning out one of the motors. Running 2S for 30 min. straight apparently isn't very good for the included motors. So I'm upgrading to brushless, and we'll see what happens. No issues w/ either diffs which was definitely a problem w/ the last version of the truck. I'm adding a cheap combo from the king of hobbies...(if you know what I mean).

40 bucks it's worth a shot. I've got a similar combo in my Mini E-Revo and it's been perfect, so I'm looking forward to it.

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by dbdynsty25 View Post
    I purchased two of them once they re-released the Teton w/ the ID connectors and the metal diffs. My 5 year old son is REALLY hard on motors and diffs, so I'm pleased to say that I've had ZERO issues outside of burning out one of the motors. Running 2S for 30 min. straight apparently isn't very good for the included motors. So I'm upgrading to brushless, and we'll see what happens. No issues w/ either diffs which was definitely a problem w/ the last version of the truck. I'm adding a cheap combo from the king of hobbies...(if you know what I mean).

40 bucks it's worth a shot. I've got a similar combo in my Mini E-Revo and it's been perfect, so I'm looking forward to it.
    Thanks for the info! Just what I wanted to know. You brought up something I've been wondering - I want to run a 2s lipo also and ordered a spare motor along with the Teton - was there any cutting/soldering needed to use a lipo or did it plug up to the ESC?

I also plan on going brushless but wanted to start with a lipo upgrade.

Hey, I highly suggest the Integy motor cooling fan and heat sink that's meant for the mini erevo, mini slash, and mini summit, because it will work perfectly with the stock motor if you carefully bend the heat with pliers. And I suggest the Traxxas 2s lipo that's meant for the 1/16 vehicles because it has an ID connector and can fit with Velcro to hold it down

And the hobbywing brushless quickrun motor and esc combo for the 1/16 and 1/18 rcs is a good reliable and affordable brushless system

RC Competitor
    If you're still looking, you -can- fit a VXL-3M into these with some modifications. I have run it on a Rally and SST(No Teton yet..) and no breakages, SST is running 1/16 Rally tires, plastic driveshafts and metal ring/pinion with plastic spiders with no carnage, but I don't go from pavement to Grass or reverse, just loose dirt to grass.