Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

What's your set up and why

Hellooooooo fellow addicts! Just recently came back to the 2wd Slash, it was my first, then I went out and got the 4x4 and E-Revo, kinda forgot about this little gem for awhile. Well after getting the others set up I saw her sitting there, sad and hurt. I figured she's my next project. So, not looking for answers more curious as to what others have done to there's to get ideas, inspiration, maybe learn something. So here goes.

Slash 2wd brushed Titan 12T (starting point).
    LCG conversion and RPM extended rustler front arms (just installed haven't run it yet). 17mm conversion with 1/8th buggy dish wheels and Badlands. She inherited the velineon vxl system from my 4x4, which in my opinion is better suited in the lighter 2wd truck. Proline had tranny geared 21/86 and no heat issues. Powered by Traxxas 3 cell 5000mah and Traxxas 2cell 7600mah batteries, depending on who drives. Power stroke shocks with 35wt oil all around blue/blue up front yellow/Green in back. This thing is pretty darn fast and fun to drive. Shock settings still needs some love, it's not quite right yet. Any help there would be appreciated.
    The kid and I just bash around where we can and I've decided that this truck is the fastest in our fleet, 4x4 Slash E-REVO and rustler. Tough as nails, I am falling all over again for this truck.
    Let us know your set up and for what, look forward to reading what every one's got going on. Thank you in advance.
    Its alright son I'll fix it when you break it

Nice setup! I only have the low cg and I remade the stock ultra shocks with different pistons and springs and spacers. Front shocks have the low cg springs with a 2mm spacer and the back has the Traxxas black springs(stock springs just black) and no spacers. The shocks have the 3 hole pistons. The castor blocks, steering blocks, and rear stub axle carriers are all Traxxas blue anodized aluminum. Other than that everything is stock or jerry rigged to fix if broken. I have the Titan 12T 550 motor and the XL5. I have the Traxxas Series 3 NiHM battery 3300 mAh. Your setup is much better than mine, I can tell you that.

Used Tapatalk. When I ain't in school, I'm bashing my Slash.
    Last edited by h2rac3r; 06-15-2017 at 08:31 AM.
    When I ain't at school I'm racing my Slash

Not better just different. I call this truck my Frankenstein because she's pieced together from hand me downs and what not. I remember how much fun it was right out of the box. Kinda wish it wasn't so fun, my bank account would be larger and my wife might be happier. What do you use yours for? Keep them coming Slash lovers

RC poster
    I have the hcg sl2sh with the castle 3800kv sct combo with rpm rustler wide arms up front and protrac rustler arms in the back, protrac front tower and STRC rear tower, red Atomik castor blocks, red Atomik bellcrank, STRC oversized rear carriers, 2.8 badlands and a STRC bumper mount and modded "wheelie bar" in my rear bumper itself. Still have a ways to go but not to bad for it being an XL5 rustler for my first car i finally got in march that is now converted to a slash. I call it a "Rustash" lol

Sent from my LGMS210 using Tapatalk

RC poster
    I am however having a hard time keeping my front end down when hitting jumps now though. Ive thought about possibly moving my esc and receiver as far forward as i can to more evenly distribute the weight. Any thoughts??

Sent from my LGMS210 using Tapatalk

Brake while in air. It brings the front forward instead. It's just tricky trying to master the brake while in air so that your Slash stays flat.

My Sl2sh is my only RC right now so I use her for everything.

PM me if you want to bash near Grass Valley, CA
    My set-up — and why

Traxxas low center of gravity chassis — because it handles so much better
    Castle Creations MMP Mamba Max Pro ESC / Neu-Castle 2400kv motor combo — cool temps
    32 pitch gearing: 13/54 — 32 pitch are stronger; gearing — cool temps, fast truck
    Pro-Tek 100T Servo — since my stock 2075 died
    stock plastic Traxxas Ultra Shocks — cheapest option at the time
    STRC aluminum shock caps — plastic kept popping off
    Traxxas hardened steel, titanium nitride coated shock shafts – stock bent
    Losi springs — the stock progressive springs caused too much body roll
    Pro-Line Badlands Tires on Pro-Line Renegade Wheels — because they grip well
    Tekno TKR1951X – M6 Driveshafts & Hub Carriers — stock plastic didn’t stand a chance
    Tekno TKR1654X – 12mm Aluminum Hex Adapters — I hate stripped hexes
    STRC aluminum castor blocks — plastic flex and bend the king pins (goodbye steering)
    STRC suspension pins with nylon lock nuts — stock back out
    STRC aluminum steering bellcrank — teensy bit more precision
    Pro-Line Body Mount Secure-Loc Caps — I hate body clips
    RPM rear bumper, wheelie wheels, mud flaps — I got sick of rocks hitting me and the truck wheelies
    RPM hybrid gear box — no more motor mount screws loosening up

Jauvieone, try to let off the accelerator when you are on the last portion of the jump. This will help your truck launch nose down.

Also, SC truck bodies have what is called the "parachute effect" so you may also need to cut vent holes in your Lexan body to keep the truck from being a kite.

What h2rac3r noted is used often with buggies. It is less effective with SC trucks but will help. Applying the accelerator while the truck is in the air will help bring the nose up.
    Obstacle Magnet

It's a bit tricky, this is true. Remember not to land while still applying throttle or brake. It's a good way to break something. Since the bigger tires it's hard to keep the nose down on mine also, I'm having to re learn throttle control. The E-Revo helps with that learning curve. Great looking trucks, keep them coming. I'll ask questions as they come up. Thank you

[QUOTE=FnFancy;6392929]It's a bit tricky, this is true. Remember not to land while still applying throttle or brake. It's a good way to break something./QUOTE]

Or just don't have that slipper too tight!
    Obstacle Magnet

Quote Originally Posted by FnFancy View Post
    Not better just different. I call this truck my Frankenstein because she's pieced together from hand me downs and what not. I remember how much fun it was right out of the box. Kinda wish it wasn't so fun, my bank account would be larger and my wife might be happier. What do you use yours for? Keep them coming Slash lovers
    I like your signature. My 6 year old beats the death out of his slash 2wd VVL. The drivetrain and tires and body take a beating.

Thank you lotus, it seemed fitting as I say it quite a bit. Started him driving an exc torment at 4yrs old. He's 8 now and took over the 4x4 Slash with the MMP SCT 2400 combo. Yeah he breaks stuff ☺️. That's where the 2wd got it's velineon system from, I have to say in the lighter 2wd Slash it's a very fast and reliable system. I've had no issues at all, even when we run the heck outta her on 3s. I even let the neighborhood kids drive it, this is where training mode shines. Turn it on with a 2s battery and it's unbreakable, even for the inexperienced. I've got to run the proline hd tranny a couple times now and...... well different I guess is the right word. It seems to mellow the truck out while still providing great acceleration, even wheelies when wanted. Can't say much on durability yet, just ran around the house, and the ramp we built. My son managed to loose the clear gear cover the first time out, couldn't find it, kinda sucks. My biggest gripe is 48p gears! I hate those things, to go back to it really sucks. Any one know if you can get a 32p spur gear for it? Other than that, the trucks look good, keep em coming! Also, anyone tuning power strokes out there? Curious about springs, still trying to get it right.

My biggest gripe is 48p gears! I hate those things, to go back to it really sucks. Any one know if you can get a 32p spur gear for it?
    Yes! Yes ! Yes! You can put stock Traxxas 32 pitch gears right on the Sla2h, P2de, and Rusty. I know. I did it years ago and will never go back. I'll send you a PM with more info.

Curious about springs...
    On my Sl4sh, P4de, Rally, Sla2h, P2de, and Rusty I have used Losi springs for years!

Losi Springs Chart

Losi Part #, Rate, Color

2" Springs (for front)
    LOSA-5128, 2.5 lb., Red
    LOSA-5129, 2.9 lb., Orange
    LOSA-5130, 3.2 lb., Silver
    LOSA-5132, 3.5 lb., Green
    LOSA-5134, 3.8 lb., Blue
    LOSA-5135, 4.5 lb., Black

2.5" Springs (for back)
    LOSA-5150, 2.3 lb., Pink
    LOSA-5152, 2.6 lb., Red
    LOSA-5154, 2.9 lb., Orange
    LOSA-5156, 3.4 lb., Silver
    LOSA-5158, 3.7 lb., Green
    LOSA-5160, 4.1 lb., Blue

AMain Hobbies has them. I love Tower and AMain.

Here's a link:
    https://www.amainhobbies.com/losi-sh...160/p15235?r=0
    Obstacle Magnet

Could we see some pictures? I'd love to see the truck! Sounds like a blast.

My Sla2h, just looks like a typical SCT.
    Obstacle Magnet

I would love to post some pictures, trouble is I've forgotten how really. I did it in the Slash 4x4 forum a while back but can't seem to remember just how I did it. I don't use computers so I do it all from my phone.

Thought I had it, guess not though

Fun video Adam. You need to buy some body clips and/or need to repair some damaged Lexan. Shoe Goo and drywall tape will fix that poor ERevo's shell.
    Obstacle Magnet

Thank you, yeah it tends to loose the proline nuts for the body. I threw some old 12mm wheel nuts on it untill I could get to the LHS and pick up some more. Kinda didn't work for too long. Ended up sucking through the holes. I've seen people post video and pics straight to a thread, I still haven't figured it out yet. I think that stock Revo shell might get retired soon, I guess it's time to put some war wounds on the Baja bug.

Yeah. The shell getting the Shoe Goo / drywall tape will prevent that. Also, using those plastic Traxxas washers help the strain to be spread out.
    Obstacle Magnet

RC poster

My setup

I haven't done much to my Slash but I put the 86 pinion gear and the 23 pinion small gear. The problem is you have to monitor the motor temperature because it could easily overheat. Also it destroys the back tires but at least it goes 40MPH.

Quote Originally Posted by asherthebeeson View Post
    I haven't done much to my Slash but I put the 86 pinion gear and the 23 pinion small gear. The problem is you have to monitor the motor temperature because it could easily overheat. Also it destroys the back tires but at least it goes 40MPH.
    The big plastic gear attached to the slipper clutch is Calle the spur gear. The little metal gear on the. Motor shaft I called the pinion.

We are all here to learn more and more about this great hobby called RC. I know I learn a lot form you good people.

A stock VXL Sla2h gearing is 19/86. With a 23/86 gearing you may have heat issues. Always monitor your MEAL temps (Motor, ESC, Air, LiPo). A Traxxas RC is far too valuable to be damaged due to neglect. But bashing, that's a whole different animal!
    Obstacle Magnet

RC poster
    I have an old mamba max setup with a 7700kv 4-pole motor with a 3s lipo it does over 70mph with crazy gearing ��

Accepting requests for bashing at GREENWOOD BASHPLEX in Pittsburgh PA!! Check the thread in the track buddy forum and reply there or pm
    Lol what gears are you running? Did not think the old mamba max would run a 4 pole motor? Maybe it doesn't have a Rev limiter like the original vxl esc that prevents it from running 4 pole cans...
    Ya can't polish fertilizer...

RC poster
    31 pinion and 86 spur i believe

Accepting requests for bashing at GREENWOOD BASHPLEX in Pittsburgh PA!! Check the thread in the track buddy forum and reply there or pm
    Lcg... better handling

Masher 2.8 on trx 5 stars... just the right amount of grip for the bashplex... and asphalt

Front- shortened rpm slash bumper, Strc pins, revo pushrods for links, big bores w/35wt, P-L arms and tower, Strc alum bulk, hr cblocks, rpm bearing carriers.... because it's been bulletproof for 3 years

Rear- Strc pins,ofna buggy 8 ft shocks w/30wt, revo pushrods for camber links, rpm arms and tower, rpm motor guard... because it's been bulletproof for 3 years haha.

Driveline-Avid revolutions throughout (metal shielded inside trans), 4x4 plastic shafts, 4x4 alum carriers, rpm hybrid, HR sealed diff w/50k, xl5 clutch, HR 60t steel spur, 17t hardened steel pinion... again, no issues in 3 bash seasons.

Lectrics-MMP, 4pole vxl motor with 4mm bullets, trx link 2ch, savox 0251, mostly 2s spc, a little spc 3s madness every once in a while... solid performance.

1/8 discontinued P-l buggy body(5$ clearance bin special) .....cause it's lasting FOREVER 8●)

As you can see, my whole build is aimed at making a bulletproof monster buggy....

RC Competitor
    Lcg.....fewer rollovers
    Protrac suspension kit (minus bearing carriers).....gives zero offset and rear toe in
    Trx alum caster blocks....No more bent king pins
    RPM bearing carriers.....Fewer failures
    Stk servo with metal gear swap.......Seems a touch crisper in cornering response and better durability
    STRC hinge pins & king pins....Stk backs out
    VXL system....because it came with it
    GTR Shocks...Better adjustability and durability
    32.5wt up front 37.5wt in the back.....just my preference
    RPM Rear bumper...just like it better
    Badlands for outside and Icons/elements/deja vu's for the track

So I've made some changes, for one I got tired of replacing axles so got tekno m6 for her. Wow, what a hassle, not teknos fault, apperently proline's hd transmission has longer outdrives than stock, so the 2wd m6 dog bones wouldn't work. Ended up putting 4x4 dog bones in, which kinda worked but one side would fall out every so often. Decided to widen the back cause the jato arms pushed the front out so much it looked silly, put the 4x4 arms on the rear and bought Traxxas constant velocity axles for the front of a stampede (?) I think. Putted around last night but haven't really ran it yet. Also switched the proline tranny to 32p gears, running 13\54 for now, might go up haven't decided. Still want to hear from anyone running that hd transmission if your out there

RC Competitor
    lcg chassis- i converted from a stampede that rolled to much and i had always wanted a slash, now i have a brushless system and it handles much better
    castle 3800kv combo- wanted more power and speed than the xl-5
    2s lipo 52000c - power needs power and it was cheap
    rpm front bumper- i needed a real bumper
    rpm castor blocks- i had an oops with a curb
    rpm bearing carrier- that oops with the curb was at full speed
    pede tires - becuase its what i have but i what trenchers or mx28s what do you recommend… for on and off road bashing
    i think thats it….
    there is a different pinion gear in there
    oh what gearing do you recommend and were can you find gears that will work together?
    i also wish i had a body because the pede one is to worth and new ones and not cheap
    also can i find that proline hp tranny slipper by its self because i would like to get a better clutch
    Last edited by ABQslashLCG; 07-11-2017 at 03:53 PM.

Keep an eye on the rpm c blocks. They flex like the stock parts and bend the kingpins. Replace with aluminum c blocks if you bend steering pins... get a 58 tooth jato 32 pitch spur gear, and a 32 pitch 16 tooth pinion. It will be a good mix of top speed, and acceleration. Personally I run 60/17 for bashing, and top speed is just under 40 with the vxl motor and pede 2.8 mashers.

What's wrong with the clutch? I've been running these clutches for 8+years without any issues. When racing, I swapped in an sc10 clutch and Strc shaft to get finer tuning for racing on carpet, but bashing, the stocker is a tank if ya maintain it.

RC Competitor
    Keep an eye on the rpm c blocks. They flex like the stock parts and bend the kingpins. Replace with aluminum c blocks if you bend steering pins... get a 58 tooth jato 32 pitch spur gear, and a 32 pitch 16 tooth pinion. It will be a good mix of top speed, and acceleration. Personally I run 60/17 for bashing, and top speed is just under 40 with the vxl motor and pede 2.8 mashers.
    thank you for this info i need this info…. couldn't i just go with your set up, the 60/17? i like top speed and bashing and if i could find a good mix like you said you have i would like something like that… of course when you say under 40 are you using 2s?

thanks

You could go with my setup, but I use an expensive hot racing steel spur. The jato 58 tooth spur I mention is about 20$ cheaper than the steel one. The gear ratios are pretty close between my setup and the one I suggested to you so close to same speed. My vxl runs between 150 and 160° on hot days, so if you decide to gear for higher top speed you must check your temps often, and stop driving the truck and let it cool down.

My gear ratio = 3.52:1, and the ratio I suggested is 3.62:1, so very little difference in speed. Yes using 2s. I've not measured top speed, and 35 to 40 mph is just an estimate.

Edit... I am running 2.8 masher tires for my monster slash buggy, so the gears I suggested will run slower if using slash tires. Try 58/18 to start. This should get you near your fast bashing gearing while keeping your temps in the safe zone. You can gear up a tooth on the pinion if the motor is 150° or lower.

RC Competitor
    thank you that clears up a lot and pretty informative I'm using my pede tires so i think your suggested gearing will work great
    i have one more question right now so i messed up one of my 2 plastic spur gears the other day because my motor came just a little bit loose and striped it… how can i keep my motor tight… also should i go with steel spur just incase my motor comes loose again?
    Last edited by ABQslashLCG; 07-13-2017 at 11:39 AM.
    if your gonna drive, drive don't talk

Quick Rundown
    OG Stampede converted to LCG Slash
    Castle SCT 3800kv with 65c - More powaaaar - Trinity 17 turn 540, and Maxx 550 with ni-mh was getting old.
    Alturn 752mg - To be tested and installed when converted
    RPM - Carriers - Because the og stampede had 5x8 bearings i wanted 5x11. Stock was never used.
    RPM - Steering knuckles - Because the og stampede had 5x8 bearings i wanted 5x11. Stock was never used.
    RPM - Front tower - Broke it
    RPM - Gear case - Tired of motor screws coming loose and putting tape over the hole on stock version.
    RPM - Gear cover - My Trinity maxx 550 was sucking tiny rocks through hole in stock cover when running 9 cell Ni-mh
    RPM - Front slash compensating arms - to have all same offset - To be tested
    TRX - Aluminum castor and shimmed in arms - Bent way too many pins and broke several blocks.
    TRX - VXL slipper - OG slipper melted with all 12 pegs after 3800kv.
    TRX - VXL Transmission internals - OG plastic diff didn't hold up.
    TRX - Wheelie bar - now removed with lcg (we'll see if it returns)
    TRX - Monster jam body mounts - Stock stampede mounts never lasted but a few runs.
    TRX - Full HEX hardware swap - Silver stuff was old and soft.
    TRX - Long screws and nylock nuts for top shock mounts. Stock shoulder screws backed out every run.
    TRX - Metal shock caps - Blew one to many shocks and the mess is nasty.
    TRX - Shock X seals - OG blue ones leaked like crazy.
    TRX - Serrated wheel nuts - OG nuts came loose too much.
    TRX - VXL Camber and toe links - Bent my Lunsford titanium and too much play after time.
    TRX - VXL Steering bellcrank setup with bearings - Needed it and saw how bad the white version was on my sons rustler.
    TRX - Slash spec springs front and rear - OG Stampede springs were old and stiff.
    TRX - Slash Rear arms - OG Stampede were too long with slash offset wheels.
    STRC - Captured pins - Stock bent and backed out all the time.
    MIP - Outdrives - My modded stock ones finally had too much play. Modded version = Metal outdrive yokes on tranny and axle side due to spinning axles out of the yoke when running clod buster tires. Pending shorter shafts to fit slash arms.
    PL - 2.8 trenchers - Stock wheels with 2k mashers were getting old also added stability and extra traction for 3800.
    DN - Breakaways To be tested with slash conversion.
    DN - Red seal bearings - OG version had bushings
    DIY - ESC mount for LCG chassis - OG RPM mount didn't fit LCG.

I think that about sums it up for now. Lets just say it's been one heck of journey for this Stampede over the last 17 years.

RC Competitor
    well it looks like you have a pretty good setup given a quick run down was huge… i did the same thing going the pede to slash lcv… and going cc 3800kv and I'm not sure how you're geared or anything like that but you are going to need wheelie bar with mine…i don't have one but but it might be good to have one
    where did you find your hex screw set
    you should send pictures of yours i wanna see it with those tires and the lcg chassis
    Last edited by ABQslashLCG; 07-13-2017 at 02:52 PM.

To be honest I looked at the exploded views of the Stampede vxl and ordered from that. I'm still waiting for mip shafts to fit slash arms.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

RC Competitor
    man that looks boss
    i have one question about your truck
    with the trenchers do you use the adjustable body mounts? and if you do because the lcg chassis is lower and the body would be higher can you see the chassis from the side?
    also the picture of the truck with the body are those the trenchers? they look small...
    Last edited by ABQslashLCG; 07-13-2017 at 04:25 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast