Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Super FLM Build

Accepting requests for bashing at GREENWOOD BASHPLEX in Pittsburgh PA!! Check the thread in the track buddy forum and reply there or pm
    I've used that same 60t spur for about 5 years it's awesome. When the truck is together, make sure the axle does not interfere with the spur when the suspension is compressed. Mine is super close with the plastic 4x4 axles, and the mips look to be even thicker.
    Ya can't polish fertilizer...

RC Qualifier
    I got the extended FLM chassis for me.. I mean my son and put the 1410 CC motor in it. Stock gearing and diff, rpm arms and he enjoys it. I got 2 3s batteries and he cant keep the front wheels down. Going to the bmx track in a few and see how it runs

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by Synnergy View Post
    For those of you who have used the FLM tranny case:

I installed RPM a-arms and they needed to be adjusted several mm's to fit. Is this your experience? I'm not sure I like that, and am considering using some different rear a-arms. I would like to use plastic arms for the flex.

Update on the build: I am still awaiting the front and rear towers, which is holding the assembly for now. I think they will be in on Thursday.
    I have had RPM and STRC on mine and both fit like a glove.

Greetings again! I have most of the build done and would like to show a few pictures of the progress:

I mistakenly named the front shock tower STRC, but it is actually from Integy. During assembly, it required some grinding to fit it flush. It didn't take much work, and afterwards it fit nicely:

Here is a picture of the front end:

This was my first time soldering the connectors on, and it didn't go as well as I hoped. I realized that I needed to "feed" more solder into the connection. I was holding the iron on top of the pre-tinned connections hoping that it would melt together, and it didn't. I finally "learned" how to add more solder through the joint.
    Something to note, those are Lunsford titanium 4mm turnbuckles with the traxxas long rod ends.

Here are a few pics of the rear end:

Here's a pic of the underside, you can really see the 4 degree toe-in on the rear...we'll see how she handles once all the bugs are worked out and it gets taken to the track:

And finally, here are a few pics of the whole truck:

After taking it out on the street in front of my house something strange is happening with the steering servo. It happened a few times, and I have yet to try a fresh battery, although I doubt the battery is the cause. At the beginning of the run the servo steered perfectly, but after 5 mins of run-time, it became very sluggish, barely turning the wheels. Like I said, it did it a few times. I took apart the servo and removed the majority of the white lithium grease and reassembled. This is one of the servos I put the metal savox gears into. After reassembly, and about five mins into the run the same sluggish behavior....??

Anyone know what is going on? Ideas?

Love the Baja Bug...one of my favorite setups!

What's the discharge rate on that LiPo? Looks like 30C, but the strap is covering too much of it. My understanding is that the 1410 motor is more of an amp hog than the typical 1406, so my guess is that the servo might be choking from insufficient amperage.

I'll have to check when I get home...I thought it was 50c. I'll post tonight after work. I also had a pretty hard time getting the ESC to work. I'd explain more, but I want to take a picture of what slots I used to plug in the esc and the servo. Thanks for the response. ttyl

That's a sick looking pede! Keep up the good work!
    if you fall, I'll catch you! - Your Floor

So I switched out the servo and tried it again and it seems to steer fine without overheating. I must have done something to mess up the servo when I installed the savox metal gears into it. Perhaps I put too much grease in there or something. I was beginning to think I would need to install A BEC.

Quote Originally Posted by Synnergy View Post
    So I switched out the servo and tried it again and it seems to steer fine without overheating. I must have done something to mess up the servo when I installed the savox metal gears into it. Perhaps I put too much grease in there or something. I was beginning to think I would need to install A BEC.
    Glad you got that sorted out. Yeah, it seemed odd that the problem would only persist after a few minutes, and not at the outset. Generally, low-amperage is evident right away, as I witnessed on my P2de, when I tried to turn the steering too quickly, and my servo went on the fritz. I tested a weaker servo and had no problem, so I installed a Castle BEC, and now it's perfect.

Accepting requests for bashing at GREENWOOD BASHPLEX in Pittsburgh PA!! Check the thread in the track buddy forum and reply there or pm
    Are you planning to change tires?
    Ya can't polish fertilizer...

Rag6,

I was planning on going with some 17mm hub adapters, but haven't gotton that far yet. I even boight some strc ones, but they don't fit over the MIP X-duty axles. The 17mm adapters and wheel/tires are one thing I need to finish, as well getting some different pinions to try and get the right speed (I have a few pinions on the way.)

Do you have any suggestions for the hub adapters/wheels? it seems like pin tires work best for the track I run.

I am also turning my attention to a few other trucks as of late...I'll be sharing some pics this next week.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12