RC Competitor

MERV Griffin? How to slow this thing down?

Howdy - Two questions:
    1. What's a MERV?
    2. I just bought the 1/16 E-Revo VXL for my son who is 15 and has autism. Based on the videos I've seen this RC truck is WAY faster than his current 1/16 Grave Digger (which is pretty darn fast in its own right). And I want to slow it down so a) he gets longer battery life and b) he doesn't destroy it because I don't like repairing RC vehicles. Can I simply pull out the brushless motor and put the Titan in there instead? Will that slow it down sufficiently?

Using training mode on the ESC slows it down too much, so I don't wanna do that.

Thanks in advance, fellas! :-)

RC Competitor
    I've read that I can get increased run time by going with lower gearing. Will that also reduce the overall speed? And what gear should I change to what size to lower the gearing? Thanks!

No. The Titan motor is much larger than the VLX and therefore uses a different mounting plate. I'm not sure what else, if anything, is different.

Reducing gearing will probably not make it as slow as you'd like.

RC Competitor
    Can I use the TQi system to turn down the throttle trim enough to affect the top speed?

RC Racer
    Just put it in training mode. That's what I did on my sons VXL, then add a few teeth to the pinion if you want to speed it up a bit.

The stock titan motor won't fit without buying parts to make the bigger motor fit the motor mount.

And MERV is just short for Mini E-Revo.
    Last edited by dbdynsty25; 06-15-2017 at 10:27 PM.

RC Racer
    Put in a Titan 21 turn motor and a 13 tooth pinion. I did this and the truck has more climbing power with more manageable speed.

Quote Originally Posted by dbdynsty25 View Post
    Just put it in training mode. That's what I did on my sons VXL, then add a few teeth to the pinion if you want to speed it up a bit.

The stock titan motor won't fit without buying parts to make the bigger motor fit the motor mount.

And MERV is just short for Mini E-Revo.
    What he just said Best answer!
    Choose Life !!!

RC Competitor
    it only takes a few parts to switch to the brushed setup.

7379R: COVER, GEAR/MOTOR PLATE ACCESS (FOR 550 MOTORS) $4.00
    7380: PLATE, MOTOR (FOR 550 MOTORS) $7.50
    7360: MOTOR MOUNT, FINNED ALUMINUM (FOR 550 MOTORS) $10.00

that and the new esc/motor of course. if you've already got those sitting around, then it's a cheap and easy swap. if you have to buy them both, i'd almost consider getting him a 1/16 4x4 slash instead. same platform, and comes with the brushed setup. if you're already spending upwards of $150ish for a bunch of parts, it would make more sense to me to just splurge the extra $50 for a complete 2nd vehicle. then just save the merv until he's ready for that performance increase. (and enjoy it yourself in the meantime)

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by ubernewb View Post
    if you've already got those sitting around, then it's a cheap and easy swap.
    Sounds like a lot of that stuff I already have. My son's current 1/16 Grave Digger may be able to be stripped of those parts to make the 1/16 E-Revo brushed?

RC Competitor
    Just put it in training mode.
    Can't do it. My son has seen his current 1/16 in full mode. Originally I had it in training mode, but the moment he saw it running full out he was hooked and we've never went back!

MERV is just short for Mini E-Revo.
    Thanks for that answer! I had no clue, and yet I see that acronym used on these forums left and right as if everyone is supposed to know what it means! Haha!

RC Racer
    You could also do the tranny gear flip for less speed and more torque.

RC Competitor
    Because this truck should be WAY faster than my son's 1/16 Grave Digger here's what I'll try first:
    - Training Mode with a 31 tooth pinion gear

If that doesn't work then I'll see if I can swap the motor mount plate from his Grave Digger into the 1/16 Revo so I can put the Titan brushed motor in... with a smaller pinion gear.

The object here is to decrease the top speed so my son doesn't wreck this thing and also to get longer battery life.

RC Racer
    Flipping the gear in the tranny is free just takes a little time and it's a lot slower than normal. It's like putting the big summit in low gear. You will also get longer run times.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Sizzler View Post
    Because this truck should be WAY faster than my son's 1/16 Grave Digger here's what I'll try first:
    - Training Mode with a 31 tooth pinion gear

If that doesn't work then I'll see if I can swap the motor mount plate from his Grave Digger into the 1/16 Revo so I can put the Titan brushed motor in... with a smaller pinion gear.

The object here is to decrease the top speed so my son doesn't wreck this thing and also to get longer battery life.
    Stick in the 23t "speed" pinion that comes with the truck, and put it in training mode and it should be around the speed of the brushed truck. If that still too fast, a 16t pinion will slow things down further, and you could even throw a 55t spur gear in for more slowage.... I bet that would get you down to the 10-12mph range....
    Last edited by dacaur; 06-22-2017 at 12:43 PM.
    Dacaur

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken84 View Post
    Flipping the gear in the tranny is free just takes a little time and it's a lot slower than normal. It's like putting the big summit in low gear. You will also get longer run times.
    I believe you, I just don't wanna open up this truck more than I must. I don't enjoy spending time working on it.
    I am pit crew for my son's 1/16 E-Revo VXL