Cherry red doesn't come out very red

I had to get a new transmission case after melting a hole in the previous one and I wanted something besides just black so I decided to try red.
    I think that happened because I had the slipper clutched tightened down further than normal because I needed a new disc (6-7 years old). I also found that the pin (drill bit) that holds the top gear (#3195) in place broke so that may have had something to do with it.

Rustler VXL/ Merv (sold)/ Q32/ Ambush/ Kraton

What the heck are you doing Toaster? I take it you have been playing Dr. Frankenstein experimenting with dying, or painting? Very interesting colors you have there. Think you should have stuck with the black, personally. Not knocking your colors. Just sayin! Color surely does not hinder the way it works. What color you trying next?

I am just in a good mood toaster and messin wit cha! Dye on my fellow RCer!
    Last edited by lektro; 06-17-2017 at 03:58 PM.
    Choose Life !!!

It was just rit cherry red on a grey case and thats the end result, no paint, the blue springs are from losi and are already painted. Whenever I have something else to dye I'll probably try the same color.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by A1ArmedToaster View Post
    It was just rit cherry red on a grey case and thats the end result, no paint, the blue springs are from losi and are already painted. Whenever I have something else to dye I'll probably try the same color.
    Kind of thought they were dyed. Keep it going. Would love to see your
    final results!
    Choose Life !!!

I like the color actually. =)

Next time you want to play with dye use some old gray pieces to test. If you don't have anything you could always buy a set of the gray camber links. they are cheap and you can have like 4 test pieces then. Keep a record of things like time you soaked the stuff the mix amount so you can duplicate it in the future. If you plan on doing a dye attempt on multiple parts try to do them all together so that they will match.

How long did you soak the case?
    3RusterXL5
    4Nitro4Tec
    "Snap On"Alias
    Craniac

About 2.5 hours, I checked it after an hour but it looked like the dye wasn't doing anything so I let it sit while I went to the store and that's how it came out. I might do some more controlled testing later but just winging it works good enough

It may not be cherry red, but I adore that purple... I might just have to try this when I revive my trucks.

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk
    Why do I have all these leftover parts???

I found a new chassis for about $10 shipped so I decided to pick it up and try for the same color, here are the results.

The color is a bit hard to capture accurately

For some reason this corner didn't dye but there its not noticeable with a battery in place.

This also happened, the bottom cup popped off and was inside the spring.

RC Competitor
    I would like to try to dye some of the parts on my trucks. What are you using to do this? I assume it holds up way better than paint?

Quote Originally Posted by bikerman806 View Post
    I would like to try to dye some of the parts on my trucks. What are you using to do this? I assume it holds up way better than paint?
    It's called RIT dye, I used the cherry red color that comes in the bottle and let it sit for about 2.5 hours. I've never tried painting the chassis or any part really so I don't know how that would hold up.

Sent from my toaster using Tapatalk
    Last edited by A1ArmedToaster; 06-26-2017 at 05:43 AM.

Paint does not work well on chassis parts at all, especially if the truck is ever going offroad.
    Why do I have all these leftover parts???

RC Enthusiast
    Yeah colors can be strange. I painted a brand new body with one layer (pearl key-lime green) then one layer iridescent (candy red) then last with(solid blac) and result was some sort of cameleont metallic i never seen before the stuff i use is hobbyknox paint and mini compressor (model gw10) is cheap to by but god quality then i use a mini arirbrush gun by proffessional quality.... god painting you do have you try to paint your wheels becouse mine looks bad just the rear left wheel.maybe the fuel from exhaust did it
    Traxxas bandit vxl/tsm.
    La trax alias quad.