Results 1 to 25 of 25
  1. #1
    RC Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Posts
    21

    Aftermarket wheel help please?!

    Hey, I'm looking at a new set of wheels but I'm unsure which will fit correctly due to needing a bigger offset for the portals. I don't really want to run bead lock wheels so is there any others with the 11mm offset that is needed out there? I'm looking at rc4wd White 8 spokes in the deep dish form as they're 12mm offset. I just wondered what other people are using? Any help would be great. Cheers Rob

  2. #2
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    346

  3. #3
    RC Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Posts
    21
    Thank you!

    Do you think these would fit?

    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/122414016550

  4. #4
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    346
    Sorry I do not kow

  5. #5
    Traxxas Employee
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Dallas
    Posts
    445
    You might need to drill out the center hole slightly. Those only have a 4.2mm opening. It will likely hit on the axle unless you drill it out a little. The hex actually sticks out further than the wheel so clearing the portals is no issue. It's going to give you a really wide offset. They have a huge inner wheel opening though. Why not go with a better offset unless you are trying to widen the track as much as possible?
    Last edited by E-Maxxdude; 06-19-2017 at 08:46 AM.

  6. #6
    RC Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Posts
    21
    Thank you for the reply e-maxx dude. I do like the normal version of those wheels they're not so wide. Maybe you can check them out for me? Only 9mm offset though.

    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/110975984951

  7. #7
    Traxxas Employee
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Dallas
    Posts
    445
    Those don't use a hex, but rather sit on the pin itself. They would likely be harder to fit.

  8. #8
    RC Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Posts
    21
    You can get hex adaptors for them, would they work otherwise? Kinda have my mind made up on them. Haha

    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/132061507883
    Last edited by trxrincon; 06-19-2017 at 09:35 AM.

  9. #9
    Traxxas Employee
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Dallas
    Posts
    445
    I would say that's a better option. You will still likely need to drill out the center axle hole.

  10. #10
    RC Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Posts
    21
    So the 9mm offset isn't anything to worry about for clearing the portals, this was my main worry. Is the actually width ok?

  11. #11
    Traxxas Employee
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Dallas
    Posts
    445
    As long as you have 39mm inner clearance on the wheels, you will fit over the portal axles, regardless of offset. Those have more than enough to clear the portals. One set of wheels I've used have 38.5mm and they just barely clear them.

    If you do need to drill out the center hole, just make sure to use a drill press and do it properly. If you drill it out off-center with a hand drill, your wheel may wobble.

  12. #12
    RC Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Posts
    21
    It says wheel width 25mm or 1 inch, I guess that's no good?

  13. #13
    RC Turnbuckle Jr. rag6's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Accepting requests for bashing at GREENWOOD BASHPLEX in Pittsburgh PA!! Check the thread in the track buddy forum and reply there or pm
    Posts
    15,602
    My ssd scale trail 1.9 scale trail beadlocks fit. Confirmed today at hobbytown
    Ya can't polish fertilizer...

  14. #14
    RC Competitor
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Posts
    67
    Quote Originally Posted by rag6 View Post
    My ssd scale trail 1.9 scale trail beadlocks fit. Confirmed today at hobbytown
    might want to doublecheck.. i have ssd's as well, and they fit on the axle just fine. then i took a good look at the backside and noticed the hex wasn't seated fully into the wheel. sure enough, the wheel wasn't fitting over the tapered part of the axle. went on far enough to get the nut on so i didn't think about it.
    drilled out the openings and now they sit nice and flat on the hexes like they're supposed to.

  15. #15
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Andover Township, NJ
    Posts
    308
    I like the SSD DOUBLE TIME's. They have a little different specs. Will these wheels fit with out any problems??

  16. #16
    Traxxas Employee
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Dallas
    Posts
    445
    They don't list an inner wheel diameter. You can always make them work because they use SLW hubs which come in many offsets. They may not look right with a really big offset though.

  17. #17
    RC Turnbuckle Jr. rag6's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Accepting requests for bashing at GREENWOOD BASHPLEX in Pittsburgh PA!! Check the thread in the track buddy forum and reply there or pm
    Posts
    15,602
    Quote Originally Posted by ubernewb View Post
    might want to doublecheck.. i have ssd's as well, and they fit on the axle just fine. then i took a good look at the backside and noticed the hex wasn't seated fully into the wheel. sure enough, the wheel wasn't fitting over the tapered part of the axle. went on far enough to get the nut on so i didn't think about it.
    drilled out the openings and now they sit nice and flat on the hexes like they're supposed to.
    Nope bolted on and fully seated on the hex. The wheel I list above has hubs that fit over the tapered part. I seen on rcc that some ssd wheels come with different hubs
    Ya can't polish fertilizer...

  18. #18
    RC Champion
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    Everywhere man
    Posts
    1,222
    Quote Originally Posted by trxrincon View Post
    You can get hex adaptors for them, would they work otherwise? Kinda have my mind made up on them. Haha

    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/132061507883
    Yes, the RC4WD stamped steel beadlocks will work, just buy the hex adapters for them! I've used RC4WD Wagon wheels with six lugs and they fit great, just had to use the hand drill and enlargen the hex center hole slightly to fit them all the way onto the drive hexes on the axles.

  19. #19
    RC Champion
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    Everywhere man
    Posts
    1,222
    Quote Originally Posted by rag6 View Post
    Nope bolted on and fully seated on the hex. The wheel I list above has hubs that fit over the tapered part. I seen on rcc that some ssd wheels come with different hubs
    Yes, SSD stamped steel that come with Wraith style hexes fit right on, the other style hex has smaller hole in middle and took me 5 minutes to drill out a set of four including a coffee break. I've found that RC4WD wheels are stronger though.

  20. #20
    RC Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Posts
    21
    It's the drilling that scares me! They're an expensive set of wheels to mess up, I dunno if I'd trust myself! Haha

  21. #21
    RC Qualifier lotust251's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    Long Island NY
    Posts
    283
    I'm going this route. Pro-Line Hyrax 1.9" G8 , Gmade 1.9 SR02 Beadlock Wheels GMA70176

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Teu1G9-an9M
    Slash, Stampede,Craniac,X2 TRX4 ,ford gt 4 tec 2.0

  22. #22
    RC Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Posts
    21
    Quote Originally Posted by Natedog View Post
    Yes, SSD stamped steel that come with Wraith style hexes fit right on, the other style hex has smaller hole in middle and took me 5 minutes to drill out a set of four including a coffee break. I've found that RC4WD wheels are stronger though.
    Please correct me if I'm wrong but it's just the hex adaptor I'd drill not the actual wheel itself?

  23. #23
    Traxxas Employee
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Dallas
    Posts
    445
    Quote Originally Posted by trxrincon View Post
    Please correct me if I'm wrong but it's just the hex adaptor I'd drill not the actual wheel itself?
    That depends on the wheel. If you are using a standard width hex, enough of the axle will poke through that you may need to drill out part of the wheel. It's a 6mm axle, but it tapers down at the end. Some RC4WD wheels I've seen only have a 4.2mm axle opening. Those would likely need a little drilling.

  24. #24
    RC Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Posts
    21
    It's the 8 spoke " wagon" wheel I want to use. Cheers

  25. #25
    RC Champion
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    Everywhere man
    Posts
    1,222
    Quote Originally Posted by E-Maxxdude View Post
    That depends on the wheel. If you are using a standard width hex, enough of the axle will poke through that you may need to drill out part of the wheel. It's a 6mm axle, but it tapers down at the end...
    X2

    Quote Originally Posted by trxrincon View Post
    It's the 8 spoke " wagon" wheel I want to use. Cheers
    I've mounted those on mine, just used hand drill to carefully drill all four wheels hex adapters.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •