Colton, Inland Empire, Southern California

Slash 2wd Solid Rear Axle

Hey guys,

I'm working on a solid rear axle design for another slash 2wd project.

I was gifted a broken buggy of some offbrand type, it had solid rear axle, and lay down shocks and a-arms in the front like a 1/16th e-revo

anyways I cut the chassis, keeping the solid rear axle and 4 link + shocks on as minimal of a chassis as I could.

I am using a slash 2wd transmission in the middle of the chassis to house the motor, the output shaft, goes to the driveshaft, that connects the pumpkin on the solid axle.

Was thinking of cutting the front section off a extra slash 2wd I have, and mounting this 2wd motor sideways in the battery tray...

this is just a mock up. it does spin the tires, and the way it sits , theres no binding of the axles, thru the full motion of the suspension.

(the out output side is just fixed, so all power gets sent to the solid rear axle...)

Bored, please don't judge too hard, but let me know what ya guys think, and if ya seen anything like this before. its a helf inch short on both sides to be stock slash width.

rear axle articulates about 5-6 inches on either side.
    Sla2hvxl,pe4evxl,erevobl
    "Richard Chilson"youtube

Very cool. I'll be watching this.

Accepting requests for bashing at GREENWOOD BASHPLEX in Pittsburgh PA!! Check the thread in the track buddy forum and reply there or pm
    Nice. Have figured out the final drive ratios yet? Maybe a revo spur and big pinion will get you some top end?
    Ya can't polish fertilizer...

And some serious torque twist. Watch the pinion angle going into the rear axle. Also, do a little research on 4 link rear ends. If its a street thing, 3 link it by connecting the links that attach to the top of the pumpkin. Rear axle R and P are probably going to be the weak link. Twin Hammers are the short arms guys run, 6" is the long set, trophy truck stuff. So what's it gonna be when done?????

And do you think the open diff in the transmission would.effect the final ratio. Maybe a locked would change it, maybe it would be about the same.

Should be fun, looks really good
    ------
    How to Rc: Send them high, watch them die.

Accepting requests for bashing at GREENWOOD BASHPLEX in Pittsburgh PA!! Check the thread in the track buddy forum and reply there or pm
    The truck won't move if you leave the diff open. You must lock it.

Your adding a 3rd gear reduction to the stock 2 reductions. Depending on the axle gearing, your cutting the trucks speed approximately in half. You will need to gear way up to compensate for it.

Sup mac fab how you been? Can he avoid the torque twist by flipping the axle over and turning the trans around to get proper rotation? If not a sway bar and proper link geometry can help
    Last edited by rag6; 06-19-2017 at 11:27 PM.

Thanks for comments guys!

rag - no idea on gearing, you mean the spur gear for the 1.16th e-revo?

Macfab - thanks for the advice. it will be for light use at first, but maybe sand dragster lol. I don't really know how well it will stand.

at first it will just be a slightly narrowed slash 2wd with the axle thing in the rear, stock setup on the front. I cant make it to short because than mounting bodies becomes an issue. needing place for esc and ect. and I want to keep the slash steering / front end wheelbase and track width.

If I really wanted, I guess I could get a slash 4x4 front end, and connect it to the front diff via the same way, right?

here is a few comparison pics to 2 slash lcgs, you can see if I match wheelbases, the 2wd trans can sit in the battery tray. cut the rear off

Sla2hvxl,pe4evxl,erevobl
    "Richard Chilson"youtube

yeah I have a long pin going thru the other output shaft. all power should divert to the spinning (underload) to the side. (stock diff, not locked or messed with me by anyways, putty. ect)

I made a vxl weedwacker and it had the torque to cut grass... I'm sure the red yoke on thepumpkin will be the first to break. lol
    Sla2hvxl,pe4evxl,erevobl
    "Richard Chilson"youtube

rag, thanks for that, I didn't think about that. something to deffienatly consider. might start with what the weedwacker was 23/90 3s vxl lol
    Sla2hvxl,pe4evxl,erevobl
    "Richard Chilson"youtube

Can't rid the torque twist without a swaybar or 3 link, but 3 link reduces atriculation. As a sand dragster, you'll probably grenade it unless its super, super light weight. Not really practical. Building a crawler would be my suggestion, and your local spot would be great. You'll just need to get the front end gear ratio right. Research what you have and get the ratio or pull it apart and count teeth. Probably wouldn't need a sensored motor to prevent cogging either because its geared so low. I've got a crawler build going right now, a Bomber (sort of) that uses a few different model Traxxas parts. It'll be a good candidate for a sleek fpv setup. Maybe I should do a build thread, it will have a Slash spur and slipper clutch in it.

I think he is running this as a 2wd

Thanks for the comments guys.

MacFab - will check it out, I have to sacrifice a lcg chassis, so I'm trying to figure out which one I will cut up. or maybe try to buy a chassis by itself. most of my chassis has a particular use / reason lol.

Yeah at first it will be a 2wd, I don't think I will be able to get the front drive line on there.

(if I used a 1/16th summit / e-revo chassis, I could make it 4wd (but... I cut the front off to get rid of that lol)

I was looking at designs people have for the upper links, might be able to fab some cross braces to make both two links 1 piece.

its gonna be a while
    Sla2hvxl,pe4evxl,erevobl
    "Richard Chilson"youtube

The Traxxas Velocity Axles are solid.
    https://traxxas.com/products/parts/6852R
    These are what I'm going to upgrade to eventually.
    When I ain't at school I'm racing my Slash

Quote Originally Posted by rag6 View Post
    The truck won't move if you leave the diff open. You must lock it.
    not if you find a way to hold one side in place
    cool ain't cheap -Dan Dreger

just for grins on the gear ratio, maybe try the pinion and spur off your drag slash. What kind of buggy did the rear end come off of?
    if you fall, I'll catch you! - Your Floor

the brand name on the body is Sovran but I cant find the toy online for sale.

its about 1/16th 14th size I would guess. its slightly bigger than the e-revo, taller than the summit, with summit sized wheels.

Broitsseth

yup! I locked the side with a pin that is long.

this is how I know this 1wd will produce power. hehe
    Sla2hvxl,pe4evxl,erevobl
    "Richard Chilson"youtube

ok... so the

this is beautiful... sorry for interruption...

this is the moment right before the magic starts, the spur flying forward in the gear box....

ok.. so the

"solid rear axle slash" project has been giving a few breaths of life, and I drove it around the street in front of my house.

first thing I got to say is lol @ the speed. when the drive shaft is barely spinning the wheels are flying! on training mode is still wont crawl.

need to calibrate the remote I think..... or toss in a titan 12t and go 2s/nihm. lol

here are pictures of the abomination... the rear end is sandwiched between a metal plate, one screw is in the plate and into the transmission, than 3 zipties complete the rear, the rustler front half is also just ziptied to the metal plate..i didn't want to cut any chassis for it yet.... ran pretty good... I think it would be better as a crawler. it is kinda quick I like it (see last pic)

crawler pic (video coming soon)
    Sla2hvxl,pe4evxl,erevobl
    "Richard Chilson"youtube

Sla2hvxl,pe4evxl,erevobl
    "Richard Chilson"youtube

minus 1 rustler
    plus 1 solid rear axle slash

still needs work.

the two chassis butt up to eachother, they don't overlap like in some of the pics
    Sla2hvxl,pe4evxl,erevobl
    "Richard Chilson"youtube

RC Qualifier
    I'm building another Slash 2WD with alot of left over parts and picked up a 1/12 12428 4WD along the way ..It has the same Solid Rear Axle also.I thought maybe if you wanted more speed,This is where you can make the parts last longer since if it's running 3S.

12428 1/12 Max SPEED 95km/h Video is out there.Look at 9:53 and the torque twist on the front.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VDLwauV24jA
    Last edited by Cyclone1122; 06-22-2017 at 01:46 PM.

Guess I'm late to the show again. If you don't like your chassis arrangement, get a piece of aluminum say .090 5052 for a chassis plate. Locate your pieces to that like the trophy truck guys do. Ohterwise, if you're running the plastic, try to get your motor centered in the chassis for weight bias. The offset drive shaft will actually do better because it can be longer, reducing angle and plunge.

thanks for the video cyclone! I will check it out, good to know if I need replacement parts!

macfab - yeah its sitting on the plates I use for the 4x6's.

on the weight distribution I was gonna put motor on driversside, with the esc and receiver, and offset it with the battery on the other side.

on the off center driveshaft, saddly, its feeding thru a small hole in the black chassis, so it has to be in the center.

I layed it on a stampede 4x4 chassis, that looks really promising. tub is very flat, so outer output shaft could drive the fronts... lol
    Sla2hvxl,pe4evxl,erevobl
    "Richard Chilson"youtube

little more work, and top brace to help it from bending.
    Sla2hvxl,pe4evxl,erevobl
    "Richard Chilson"youtube

You might think about not using zipties lol xD Also, are you going to put wheel spacers on the back?
    if you fall, I'll catch you! - Your Floor

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyclone1122 View Post
    I'm building another Slash 2WD with alot of left over parts and picked up a 1/12 12428 4WD along the way ..It has the same Solid Rear Axle also.I thought maybe if you wanted more speed,This is where you can make the parts last longer since if it's running 3S.

12428 1/12 Max SPEED 95km/h Video is out there.Look at 9:53 and the torque twist on the front.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VDLwauV24jA
    All reviews say that this dessert buggy have diff problems even with brushed electronics(wltoys). Diff gears are plastic and can't handle brushless motor. There are several threads on the forums. Transmission is weak point too.

Послато са HTC One_M8 уз помоћ Тапатока

zipties just for the mock up, will bolt it together once I find something I like.

yes I am looking at a few extenders/extensions.

I have .5inch and .9 inch extenders. hoping the short ones do the trick.
    Sla2hvxl,pe4evxl,erevobl
    "Richard Chilson"youtube

Quote Originally Posted by alexsasax View Post
    All reviews say that this dessert buggy have diff problems even with brushed electronics(wltoys). Diff gears are plastic and can't handle brushless motor. There are several threads on the forums. Transmission is weak point too.

Послато са HTC One_M8 уз помоћ Тапатока
    thank you good sir! I do understand it will be a short lived project, however, I was just informed by another person, that they have already done this, but used a heavy duty axial bomber rear end. So if this dies, I might go that route.

I am a light to moderate basher, things other people brake daily have lasted me a year lol.
    Sla2hvxl,pe4evxl,erevobl
    "Richard Chilson"youtube

1inch adapters look about right.

Sla2hvxl,pe4evxl,erevobl
    "Richard Chilson"youtube