RC Enthusiast

New DCB M41 owner with battery questions

My boat arrives this Friday and looking at new batteries. I am a Spartan owner who made the mistake of buying four 10,000mah traxxis lipo's without really understanding the tech behind them. I understand 3S is really the way to go.

Has anyone heard of these batteries?

PowerHobby 3S 11.1V 7600mAh 75C Lipo Battery

I am upgrading the water jacket to a hot racing jacket. Adding a dual pickup rudder and possibly a new prop. Any other suggested mods. I will admit I am a little scared on how to add the extra waterline but it sounds like a must. Any youtube vids showing how to do it

RC Enthusiast

M41 Batteries

Congratulations on the M41! I have a Snap On edition and its an amazing boat! To answer your question about batteries, I have never heard of that company but they very well may be a solid buy. How much are they, if you don't mind me asking? Just watch out for heat and take Traxxas' advice very seriously about how to properly drive a boat to keep your batteries happy. For cooling, I'm all stock except for doing the Y-splitter mod so that the motor and ESC get cold water as well as bumping up the tubing size to 1/8. I haven't run it yet in this configuration but my buddy has the exact setup in his Spartan and his runs beautifully. Congrats again and try to post some pictures of the boat!

RC poster
    I'm in the same boat as well (no pun intended). I just purchased my M41 today and hopefully comes on Friday or sooner so I can take it to the River this weekend. I'm still trying to figure out what batteries to get as well.

RC Enthusiast
    Snap On Edition.... where did you get THAT from.... What is the Y splitter mod????? Those batteries are about $75 each but I cant find much on them. Hopefully we will get some more comments here.

RC Enthusiast

Dcb m41

Quote Originally Posted by aleicgrant View Post
    Snap On Edition.... where did you get THAT from.... What is the Y splitter mod????? Those batteries are about $75 each but I cant find much on them. Hopefully we will get some more comments here.
    I actually bought it off of Ebay. They were never sold from Traxxas, they could only be won through Snap On raffles and then the winners can decide to sell them. Once I get home from work, I can post some pictures on how to do the y-splitter mod. It's pretty simple but very efficient at cooling. It basically splits the tube coming into the boat into two lines that go to the motor and the esc and then back to one before leaving the boat. All you need is two y splitters and some thicker tubing which I can link if needed. It's not as effective as the dual pickup rudder, but I'm a big fan of reversible mods and I wasn't crazy about drilling a hole in a limited edition boat. For batteries, I would also recommend SMC, I hear they're an awesome value and perform pretty well. I use mostly Traxxas lipos right now just because of their hassle free warranty.
    Last edited by Slashracer17; 06-20-2017 at 11:28 AM.

RC Enthusiast
    http://s1174.photobucket.com/profile.php?do=editpassword/DCBM41/slideshow/

RC Enthusiast
    WOW THAT IS BEAUTIFUL !!!!!!!!!! yes please post a bunch of pics on the mod. I am looking at the dual pickup but like you worried about drilling holes.

What do you think of these batteries? Will the ez-peak charger work with them?

https://www.amazon.com/9000mAh-60C-1.../dp/B01DAZ73WY

crap wrong battery.

http://www.smc-racing.net/index.php?...product_id=466
    Last edited by Double G; 06-20-2017 at 03:15 PM. Reason: merge

RC Enthusiast
    Ok so now I am leaning towards these.

http://www.genstattu.com/ga-b-50c-8400-3s2p-trx.html

RC Enthusiast
    WOW THAT IS BEAUTIFUL !!!!!!!!!! yes please post a bunch of pics on the mod. I am looking at the dual pickup but like you worried about drilling holes.

What do you think of these batteries? Will the ez-peak charger work with them?

https://www.amazon.com/9000mAh-60C-1.../dp/B01DAZ73WY

crap wrong battery.

http://www.smc-racing.net/index.php?...product_id=466
    Thank you! I really love it. Either one of those batteries would be great as long as you don't mind the added weight. With run times like that, you'll need some form of cooling mod to control the temps. I have added more pictures for reference. For tubing, I recommend 1/8th tubing which is 1/32 above stock. Doing the math, it's roughly 78% more water-flow in theory.

I'm not sure what the EZ peak cuts off at so it might not have a long enough charge cycle to fully charge them. I have a Prophet sport Quattro that handles large battery duty and then two EZ peaks for my 5000 Traxxas 3s batteries which works perfect for them. If you're set on going that big, I recommend a charger that will charge them close to their rated capacity (8-9 amps).

http://i1174.photobucket.com/albums/...psgcjvjo8y.jpg
    http://i1174.photobucket.com/albums/...psqnl5q1qz.jpg
    http://i1174.photobucket.com/albums/...psqr0ar94z.jpg

The last picture is attempting to show how the new tubing must be ground down just slightly to ensure a solid fit through the hull, a 30 second job at most.
    Last edited by Slashracer17; 06-20-2017 at 07:22 PM.

RC Enthusiast
    Slash, any chance you could build the tubing mod for me and I will send you some $$$

RC Competitor
    Gens Ace batteries are good. I had a problem with only one of mine a few months after i bought it and they sent a replacement and had it in 2 days. I have the 3s 5000mah 50c 3s1p and they work great with my m41. I use the dual ez peak with them. You can charge bigger batteries on the dual peak but only at 4amps each. Dont see the harm in charging large batteries at 4amps. It will just take longer to charge. Plus i feel like a slow charge is better for them anyway

RC Enthusiast
    Slash, any chance you could build the tubing mod for me and I will send you some $$$
    Well, my only concern is that you're looking at much larger batteries than I run so I think heat might still be an issue with those long runtimes. I chose that setup because I'll be mostly running 4s and also very cold water (Lake Saint Clair) so heat isn't as big of an issue for my setup. If you're looking at a high capacity 6s setup, I would probably go dual rudder just because it's the most safe bet for high power.

RC Competitor
    I agree with slash. Go with a dual rudder pickup. Its worth it. The single rudder system sucks and if you use that and t-off the single system you will have more heat issues than the stock setup. My esc and motor went from scorching to cool, from single pickup to dual. Def worth the upgrade. Also get you an aftermarket water jacket regardless of the rudder upgrade

RC poster
    Hey! Just wanted to share my first experience with the boat since I saw you were considering these batteries "PowerHobby 3S 11.1V 7600mAh 75C Lipo Battery". I actually bought the same ones and the boat flies with them. I just have to play around with battery placement and also getting the batteries to stay in place.

If you are considered the Power hobby batteries I highly recommend them. Surprisingly my motor and ecu didn't get too hot but maybe I did not drive consecutively enough.

RC Enthusiast
    teampow. how are you charging them? Using the ez peak?

RC Enthusiast
    Gens Ace 8400mAh 11.1V 50C 3S2P Lipo. Got two of these for just over $100 shipped. Figured it was the best bang for the buck will have them on 7/7 and report back

RC Enthusiast
    Gens ace arrive today. Cant wait. Any suggested battery charging methods with the ez peak?

RC poster

Dcb snap on boat

Quote Originally Posted by BburlTM41 View Post
    Gens Ace batteries are good. I had a problem with only one of mine a few months after i bought it and they sent a replacement and had it in 2 days. I have the 3s 5000mah 50c 3s1p and they work great with my m41. I use the dual ez peak with them. You can charge bigger batteries on the dual peak but only at 4amps each. Dont see the harm in charging large batteries at 4amps. It will just take longer to charge. Plus i feel like a slow charge is better for them anyway
    Does anyone know what's the best esc, motor and prop to use? Also a wire drive or hardwire drive?

RC poster
    Best setup for dcb snap on boat? Drive line and prop?

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaydog41 View Post
    Does anyone know what's the best esc, motor and prop to use? Also a wire drive or hardwire drive?
    ESC Hobbywing
    Motor is the Leopard 1600KV
    Prop as I've tested Octura X447

This set-up is similar to the Spartan as I've already did and no problems so far.
    Sharing is the best thing to do on EARTH legally.

RC poster
    I use a pair Max amps 8000mah 11.1v 150c in my M41

RC Qualifier
    My boat arrives this Friday and looking at new batteries. I am a Spartan owner who made the mistake of buying four 10,000mah traxxis lipo's without really understanding the tech behind them. I understand 3S is really the way to go.

Has anyone heard of these batteries?

PowerHobby 3S 11.1V 7600mAh 75C Lipo Battery

I am upgrading the water jacket to a hot racing jacket. Adding a dual pickup rudder and possibly a new prop. Any other suggested mods. I will admit I am a little scared on how to add the extra waterline but it sounds like a must. Any youtube vids showing how to do it
    Congrats on your M-41 you will love the boat.... I love mine Anyway I am running ONYX 6400MAh 3Cell Lipos in my Boat & I use Traxxas ID 5000Mah 3Cell Lipos...... Don't do the Double Water Pickup Rudder from HB I upgraded to the HB Water Jacket over the Stock Motor & it made a WORLD of DIFFERANCE for me & Motor Temps... I too was afraid to drill holes into the side of the Hull & I am VERY GLAD I did not GO with the Double Rudder Pickup
    Last edited by grave75; 04-02-2018 at 05:35 PM.