RC Competitor

This Truck's Biggest Flaw

What's your opinion? What's the main thing Traxxas could do to improve their electric RC cars, and specifically the 1/16 E-Revo? Here's my suggestion; the battery connection. It's difficult to unplug a battery.
    I am pit crew for my son's 1/16 E-Revo VXL

RC Racer
    The batteries are fine. I'd rather them be difficult to unplug so they don't come unplugged while bashing.

They need to put in stronger diff gears. If you're running lipos you're gonna need to shim them eventually. Or replace them altogether.

They also need a better stock servo. I've had four 1/16 Traxxas trucks and every servo failed within the first two hours of driving.

RC Champion
    Yea, I would say the service is it's biggest flaw. It's really the only thing you can have issues with on stock power.

As for the battery connector, if you think traxxas' connector is bad, it's obvious you haven't tried anything else... Dean's are the worst, eflights ec3 is right behind it.
    I've tried everything out there, and everything I buy, traxxas or not, gets switched to traxxas connectors (the old style, not the stupid fat new ones)....
    Come to think of it, I gave never tried the new ones, I guess it's possible they suck....
    Dacaur

RC Racer

The truck's biggest Flaw

Quote Originally Posted by Sizzler View Post
    What's your opinion? What's the main thing Traxxas could do to improve their electric RC cars, and specifically the 1/16 E-Revo? Here's my suggestion; the battery connection. It's difficult to unplug a battery.
    The shock's or suspension need's to be improved.The heights this truck can get because of it's speed is awesome but it's suspension,shock's cant absorb the Slap of impact when it hit's the ground.Aluminum shock's Stiffer spring's and thick oil in the shock's are a few thing's to try.

RC Champion
    I meant to say servo, not service.
    Dacaur

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by jon v View Post
    The shock's or suspension need's to be improved.The heights this truck can get because of it's speed is awesome but it's suspension,shock's cant absorb the Slap of impact when it hit's the ground.Aluminum shock's Stiffer spring's and thick oil in the shock's are a few thing's to try.
    The suspension is not designed to absorb jump landings. The suspension is for the 99% of the time you are NOT landing off jumps, it's to smooth out lumps, bumps, dips, etc...
    The truck is actually designed to slap the ground on landing off jumps.
    With only around 1' of travel, if you managed to get the shocks stiff enough that it DIDN'T slap the ground off jumps, they wouldn't even move when going over small bumps...
    Dacaur

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by dbdynsty25 View Post
    The batteries are fine. I'd rather them be difficult to unplug so they don't come unplugged while bashing.
    I hear ya, my friend. I consider the battery connectors to be a big problem though. More often than not the wires nearly get yanked out because the connectors are so darn difficult to disconnect. In general it seems the "battery connectors" issue is an issue throughout the industry regardless of manufacturer.

Quote Originally Posted by dacaur View Post
    Yea, I would say the servo is it's biggest flaw.
    I forgot about the servos. I agree with you. They need to be better. They do wear out quickly.
    I am pit crew for my son's 1/16 E-Revo VXL

I agree with dacaur, the servo.
    Creativity is intelligence having fun. -Einstein

The design.

Weak chassis.
    Bad suspension that's impossible to get sorted properly.
    Weak diffs.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post
    The design.

Weak chassis.
    Bad suspension that's impossible to get sorted properly.
    Weak diffs.
    Compared to what other mini?
    No, it's not as durable, not does it handle as well as a 1/8 buggy.... Because that's not what it is...

What mini have you owned that us tougher AND drives better that a mini revo?

IMO, there isn't one.
    Compared to other mini's, it's VERY durable, and drives AWESOMELY.... The savage mini is tougher, but drives like crap compared to a merv, not surprising on either count as it weighs around twice as much...

Comparing apples to apples, it's plenty strong, and drives great.

If you think the chassis is weak, you need to stop hitting things and/or stay out of the skate park....
    Don't hit immovable objects and keep it within 5 feet of the ground and you will never break the chassis
    Dacaur

Quote Originally Posted by dacaur View Post
    Compared to what other mini?
    No, it's not as durable, not does it handle as well as a 1/8 buggy.... Because that's not what it is...

What mini have you owned that us tougher AND drives better that a mini revo?

IMO, there isn't one.
    Compared to other mini's, it's VERY durable, and drives AWESOMELY.... The savage mini is tougher, but drives like crap compared to a merv, not surprising on either count as it weighs around twice as much...

Comparing apples to apples, it's plenty strong, and drives great.

If you think the chassis is weak, you need to stop hitting things and/or stay out of the skate park....
    Don't hit immovable objects and keep it within 5 feet of the ground and you will never break the chassis
    You obviously haven't owned many minis. I've only had about 30 different ones over the years.

This topic is about the same as the ones about what to upgrade first, the only difference is the approach.
    I prefer talking about upgrades which solve problems instead of focussing on the problems.

R/C cars that can't be improved do not exist.

Things that I remember upgrading, for improvement or just that I thought it was cool to do (in random order):

GTR shocks (my stock ones started leaking)
    RPM arms (able to absorb more impact in cases of hitting either magnetic or moveable solid objects)
    GPM alu knuckles (for less slop)
    GPM steel rods (more strength)
    Traxxas CVD's (more able to withstand the idiot amount of power from the upgraded combo)
    Bluebird servo (some 2080's hold up quite a while, mine didn't and I wanted something more powerful)
    GPM rockers (a little stiffer and smoother but mostly because the alu looked cool)
    Integy alu battery doors (one of the two Integy products that I like)
    GPM Alu bulkheads and gearbox (solved stripping diffs problem)
    Zillion different wheels and tires (with all their pros and cons of which I liked the Trenchers on Desperado wheels the best)
    Nobody is born with experience

RC poster
    Definitely the servo. Hadn't driven probably more than an hour before it broke, bought a metal gear servo from . . . to replace it. The stock servo is rather... insulting towards the customer really, it's obvious it'll break immediately when you look at its parts. I don't know why anyone even bothers making RC car servos with plastic parts, my SC10 RS servo - which is advertised as a metal gear servo - had a single plastic gear which of course also broke in a couple of hours, making the rest of the servo and its metal parts useless.

Edited for language abuse. If you see a starred out word in your post, you must edit it out to avoid earning warning points; this also applies when a banned product/company name has been blocked by the filter.
    Last edited by cooleocool; 06-30-2017 at 11:09 AM.