RC poster

Are Pinions designed for certain Spur Size or Interchangeable?

I'm looking to play with different lower gear ratios with my 1/16 Summit VLX. I know the stock set up is 50/16 (3.125), & that a transmission flip doubles the ratio.

I bought a Hot Racing 12T & 14T, along with a Hot Racing 48 Spur Gear. I thought I would go 48/12 (4.0) & see if that was low enough for me. But, the 48 Spur & 12 Pinion just barely touch. I haven't tried yet, but I think 48/14 (3.42) will work. But, probably not low enough. I am just going to buy a 50 Spur & 55 Spur & more pinions. But, in the mean time I want to go with the 48 Hot Racing Spur & the Stock 16 Pinion, with a tranny flip (6.0). Will the Stock 16 Pinion work with the HR 48 Spur, or is it only designed to work with a 50 Spur? I know its not much different from Stock 16/50, with a tranny flip (6.25). But, I want the added durability of the metal spur gear. Ideally, I'd like to get the ratio around 5.

When I bought the Pinions, for some reason I was thinking the were designed to match with the 48 Spur only. Is that right? Or, can any Pinion (assuming the will mesh correctly) be mated with any Spur Gear? I feel like I'm missing a piece of information.

For the most part, as long as they are the same pitch you should be able to go with two different brands of spur and pinion.

"Pitch" is the number of teeth per inch. In RC the most common is 32P and 48P. 32P is larger and is found on the monster trucks and are also used on 1/10 Slashes and such when people are running higher power systems. 48P is common for most 1/10 RCs, and should be fine for most 2S and milder 3S applications.
    Submarine Qualified, Chief Inducted, Navy Retired

RC poster
    Greatscott,

Thanks for the reply & information. I was unaware of the 32P & 48P. I guess I was thinking 48P meant it had to be paired with a 48 Spur.

Just orders a HR 19T pinion to go with HR 48 Spur. Going to do a Tranny Flip. So, I will end up with a 5.05 gear ratio.

RC Champion
    If you are looking for low gearing, you want smaller pinion, bigger spur. So 14/55 would be lower gearing than 14/48.
    The mini revo/summit is 48p. Robinson racing makes a 48t, 48p spur for the mini I Revo... Confusing...

There is no need for a metal spur on this truck. If you must, make sure both the pinion and spur are hardened.
    Dacaur

RC poster
    Dacaur,
    I understand gear ratios & how they are calculated. I just didn't have the 55 Spur in my hands at the time of the original post. I've got my HR 50 & 55 Spurs now & 12T, 14T, 16T, & 19T HR Pinions to experiment with.

I'm pretty new to RCs, & I do appreciate the input. I know you don't really need the hardened metal spur & pinion. When I went to Lipos, I stripped the Spurs/Pinions on my Summit 1/16 VXL & brushed Grave Digger 1/16 4x4 with a quickness.My thoughts were, if you're going to modify it why not spend the extra $20. But, I don't remember seeing any 55 Spur Gears available in plastic for a 1/16 vxl on Ebay.

What's your thoughts on the metal/hardened metal on a 1/16 VXL? Do you think all hardened metal gears are just overkill, bc it lacks the power to tear up the plastic? Or, that the replacement plastic ones are so cheap, it's pointless to spend the money on metal gearing?

- Woodall

RC Champion
    I wouldn't spend money on metal gears for this truck, simply because if you have the gear mesh set right, and the slipper set right, you will never tear one up. Its just not a problem on this truck, being as light as it is. It also has the downside of making the truck louder.
    Dacaur