Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Got an email today....

"This email confirms that xxxxxx has been processed and forwarded to our shipping department."

Hopefully, I will get an email when it ships out with a tracking number, and maybe get it by this weekend.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Got a tracking number from UPS, 3 day...... although the number has nothing associated to it yet

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Sooooo. Traxxas sent me an email sometime after I posted earlier.

"This email confirms your package has been shipped by UPS."

Looks like it is moving, has scans from Mesquite, TX, and now DFW
    Last edited by jimbo74; 08-23-2017 at 02:36 AM.

RC Qualifier
    Hey jimbo74; I read your entire thoughts on this issue and understand the sour taste this has left behind with your relationship with Traxxas. I always read the entire thread before asking or implying something.

From reading the whole thread, I have surmised that sending in the module is the only real solution. What I don't understand, is why hasn't this happened on iOS devices and could it happen later down the road?

Is this thread implying that although the modules that are working/pairing with iOS, are still going to need flashed in the future? I can't see that being a possibility because that would mean that there would have to be two different modules for each type of interface - Android/iOS Apple. Oh wait, essentially them flashing the module kind of did create a new module right, or did it?

I mean, if they don't have to flash modules being paired with iOS devices and someone accidentally places a flashed module in their Tx that pairs with an Apple device, is that going to play nice with the bluetooth pairing?

I'm just spitting out questions that seem unanswered at this point; but when I read about the possibility of bricking a $700 phone or "lets use an outdated app or roll back our phones' security patching"; it gives pause to ask why this only happened on Android devices.
    Welcome To The Futures' Past!

RC Qualifier
    I went back and re-read this whole thread and found what I think is a partial answer to one of my questions. It was this post that caught my attention:

Now, I thought updating and flashing were two different things altogether. Notice in Steve's response from Traxxas Customer Support that he states "Unfortunately nothing out there currently includes the update." Well, I thought that when something is "flashed", that is just a process to extract the current state of the firmware installed. Where on the other hand, updating just addresses issues that can arise from other software/hardware not playing nice with current installations.

So overall, this leads me back to remembering something mentioned earlier in the thread about why didn't Traxxas engineers plan for this contingency? Actually, I think it would be their software developers, but I'm not going to get into technical garble about who carries what title for their particular job.

My total assessment of this is, that if it can happen once, it can happen again. If I read it right, it was an issue in the latest Android security update.

Well I found it right here:

Now if they can't fix it with a firmware update, and this happens again and again, because new updates for the Android devices are pushed constantly; they are definitely going to have to figure out how to do it wirelessly or we all are going to have $100 TSM systems that are a brick and useless. I have iOS, but I'm not feeling very confident it won't strike us too later down the road.

Quote Originally Posted by Flux Capacitor View Post

Now if they can't fix it with a firmware update, and this happens again and again, because new updates for the Android devices are pushed constantly; they are definitely going to have to figure out how to do it wirelessly or we all are going to have $100 TSM systems that are a brick and useless. I have iOS, but I'm not feeling very confident it won't strike us too later down the road.
    Your absolutely right on with that assessment. I did read a story the other day
    about a company or group that's working on a OS that will do away with making
    phones obsolete every two weeks.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich2 View Post
    Your absolutely right on with that assessment. I did read a story the other day
    about a company or group that's working on a OS that will do away with making
    phones obsolete every two weeks.

That is interesting on several levels. I always ask myself though; what is more likely to happen first?

1- The firmware needs revised or:
    2 - The whole OS is revamped or scrapped for a new one.

I'm still trying to wrap my head around why a module would need flashed, yet Traxxas claims it is an update to the module. That is two different things altogether. When I flash my BIOS on my computer, it gives me detailed information that is otherwise inaccessible through the OS by normal means. Now they claim to be flashing these modules; yet Steve in his response from Traxxas Customer Support claims that it is an update that fixes the module. It can't be both unless the Android update bricked the module; but I haven't seen any evidence that suggests that an update alone would fix the issue, so I'm leaning towards the module was bricked. That can happen again, and again no matter how advanced an OS is on any device; or maybe not, if that new advanced OS makes it to market that you mentioned.
    Last edited by Flux Capacitor; 08-25-2017 at 10:41 AM. Reason: Additional thoughts.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    got my whatever they did to it unit back today..... it works.....on my samsung phone, and with the app... all is working again... haven't driven it yet, as it is 2am, and wont get a chance this weekend, as I am working 9-9 but oh well.... at least it connects now

RC Enthusiast
    Flux capacitor, the term "flash" or "reflash" is pretty widely used to describe the process of installing new firmware. See definition of "reflash" linked below.
    https://en.m.wiktionary.org/wiki/reflash

Sent from my SM-G930R6 using Tapatalk

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by d_slat View Post
    Flux capacitor, the term "flash" or "reflash" is pretty widely used to describe the process of installing new firmware. See definition of "reflash" linked below.
    https://en.m.wiktionary.org/wiki/reflash

Actually, it means a re-writing of the firmware. Now all I'm trying to figure out is if the "re-flash/flash" is considered an update or not. Re-writing of firmware is not an update technically and it just means re-writing its original configuration so that it is operational again.

Also, if you look closely at my post #85, it has already been stated that this problem is not something that can be fixed with a Traxxas firmware update. Their words, not mine.

In addition, I'm wondering if there is a difference between a "Traxxas firmware update" and a firmware update for the module itself. This may just be a simple misunderstanding of wording used by Traxxas to explain what the difference actually is.

@jimbo74:
    Glad to hear that it is working for you. That was a ridiculous wait time though.
    Last edited by Flux Capacitor; 08-26-2017 at 08:22 AM. Reason: Misuse of wording

RC Enthusiast
    I guess I don't get the confusion. If it wasn't some kind of update, I don't think it would fix anything...

RC Qualifier
    I guess I don't get the confusion. If it wasn't some kind of update, I don't think it would fix anything...

I couldn't agree more. Semantics caused the confusion I believe. If one person believes re-flashing means installation of new firmware and the other person believes re-flashing means a re-write or overwrite of firmware, it is essentially the same thing with different wording.

There is no doubt in my mind that the Android security update caused the module to stop linking via Bluetooth and when they re-flashed the module to unbrick it, they added a patch to allow it to link again with the protocols of the new Bluetooth security from the Android security update.

But I guarantee when they received the very first bricked module, they first flashed it; not re-flashed it to extract the configuration that displays the non-working data so they could patch it to play nice with the new Android update that bricked it to begin with. After flashing it to get that info, they then prepare the re-flash configuration to upload the stable configuration that works.
    Last edited by Flux Capacitor; 08-26-2017 at 08:44 PM. Reason: Correction

RC Enthusiast
    I may be wrong, but I don't believe the modules are non-working prior to being reflashed. My understanding is that there is a break in communication with phones running the latest version of Android's OS. People who have other devices have continued to use them after their phones didn't work.

RC Qualifier
    I may be wrong, but I don't believe the modules are non-working prior to being reflashed. My understanding is that there is a break in communication with phones running the latest version of Android's OS. People who have other devices have continued to use them after their phones didn't work.

I understand they work with iOS devices; but they were all blocked by the Android security update that addressed Bluetooth security loopholes. It works with iOS now, but if you are running devices with Android, you might as well consider the module a conversation piece in the relic box. That is unless they send it in to be re-flashed.

I have to mention also that I read an interesting article that stated that only about a quarter of all Android users are up to date as far as their updates. So if what you're saying about them still being able to link via bluetooth, they more than likely are running an out of date device.
    Last edited by Flux Capacitor; 08-26-2017 at 10:18 PM. Reason: computer not responding.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    going to try and drive it in the morning... waking up early, haha

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Didn't get a chance to try today. Maybe tomorrow. My real car was 1/2 qt low on gear oil.... joy..... I think it still leaks at the transaxle seal to the cv

RC poster
    My samsung galaxy s4 does not connect with link app is there already a solution? What can I do? The problem should exist for about 2-3 months after an update

RC poster
    This is a great company that does not respond to requests! And no information or answer gets.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    tomi, is English a second language for you? it is difficult to understand you

anyways, you need to send your bluetooth module into traxxas at your expense with a return authorization number from them. they will reflash your module, and send it back, it will work after they do it.

hopefully, you are in the US, not sure about their policy for overseas

RC poster
    No I am from germany and can not send it back so simply here here with us there are very many complaints therefore traxxas should react as quickly as possible it is an unding so with other customers from other countries is bypassed

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Try to contact support

RC poster
    So... Bought my Slash Ultimate this week and now found this thread. Same issue, the app doesn't connect for me too. Tried 5 different Android devices from 4.4 to 6.0.1, none of them works. With my son's iPad it works and it automatically updated the firmware of the module to the latest version but still no success. It seems that the firmware they upload when you send to module back is not the same as the one the iOS application was able to do for me.

I don't understand why are they so stupid that they cannot revert back to the previous version of the Android application or post that version on the support page and use this application to upload new firmware which solves the issue?!

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    it isn't the app that is the issue. it is a firmware issue in the Bluetooth module. it need to be flashed/re-programmed/whatever people want to call it

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by jimbo74 View Post
    it isn't the app that is the issue. it is a firmware issue in the Bluetooth module. it need to be flashed/re-programmed/whatever people want to call it
    From this discussion I understood that the older application still works. Anyway, if the iOS app works and is able to upload new firmware I don't understand why it's not the firmware which solves the issue.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    I don't understand it either, but it is.... Traxxas has to reflash the module..... which should be able to be done wirelessly, but whatever.....

RC poster
    Module at my dealer now, should be back updated on Monday or Tuesday. Hooray!

RC poster
    sent two to Texas by UPS----$11.00 from OR.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    finally ran my slash.. it works

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    my phone updated this morning, I hope it works this time around.....

it is now 7.1.1

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    just got back in, it still works with the new android update I got this morning

Quote Originally Posted by jimbo74 View Post
    my phone updated this morning, I hope it works this time around.....

it is now 7.1.1
    I got my update too, it is now 8.0.0 and works fine.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich2 View Post
    I got my update too, it is now 8.0.0 and works fine.
    maybe that is a certain device thing? I have a samsung galaxy j7

I have a Nexus 5X connected to Project Fi

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

RC Enthusiast
    Just got my Bluetooth chip flashed by the local importer here at Israel and it works with Android 7.1.2 October update.

Traxxas sent him a small flashing device to handle the bluetooth fiasco.

At first it did not connect after flashing but after setting all permissions to the app
    It connected.

Hope large local dealers get the flashing devices so you wont have to sent the module and get things
    Done on the spot.
    X-MAXX 8S

RC Racer

It Kinda Worked...

I tried connecting with my Note8 (running Android 7.1.1) but it won't work, despite trying the help options (i.e., restarting bluetooth, phone, etc.). So I guess I'd have to send my bluetooth module in to be flashed (annoying).

But then I dragged out my old phone (Samsung Galaxy S5 running Android 6.0.1) and it connected immediately and worked! I'd rather use this in the field anyway so I don't chance damaging my Note8 when I'm bashing.

Also, I used the speed app last night to test it out and see how fast my Slash is (bone stock). But I noticed it's not set to MPH it's KPH (look at the pic below)... So the top speed read 33KPH which is about 20MPH, which sounds right for stock gearing and battery. So is this why everyone's speeds sound inflated, they don't realize it's not reading MPH? I don't see a setting to change it either.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123