RC Qualifier

E revo brushless and brushed questions, car for kid and parent? Or 1/10 slash?

Hello.

I have take a break of 3 years of this great hobby.
    Now i wonder to return with a 1/16 e revo with my son.
    The last car i owned was a brushless e revo 1/10.
    I used it over 30 hours without break any parts at all on higher gearing on 4s.
    Big jumps drive it like crazy, crash and stuff like that. It was solid as a tank.

Here is my question to this small 1/16 serie.
    Would this be a durable truck or will a 1/10 slash/stampende handle more bashing?
    Price is the same on e revo 1/16 vs slash/stampende 1/10.

Brushless: What is the fastest setup it can handle without break diff or esc?
    Before on traxxas it was different excample how fast they run with different batteries and gearing.
    Now i cant find it? Example skill level 3 is 2s lipo 17/54 gear 40mph. I wonder What different setup this 1/16 can be used with.

Can it realy handle doble NiMh to unlock 50mph or will it be a high risk to use like the 1/10 e revo is on 6s?
    Im looking to get a setup with fast startup and speed around 35-45 mph.
    How fast is it with stock gearing and 3s lipo/2 pack NiMh?

Brushed: Is it fun enough to run brushed? Can it easily take wheelie?
    Dont find topspeed on this brushed version..

Would e revo 1/16 handle Harder crash and bashing vs stampende or slash 1/10?

Thank you for taking time and answer my questions before i buy and get my kid into this hobby

Here is my question to this small 1/16 serie.
    Would this be a durable truck or will a 1/10 slash/stampende handle more bashing? Stampede and Slash are more easy to work on and are more durable in my opinion.
    Price is the same on e revo 1/16 vs slash/stampende 1/10.

Brushless: What is the fastest setup it can handle without break diff or esc? Depends on a lot. You can ruin diffs with a stock car with a too tight slipper clutch and even fo 60 without breaking them.
    Before on traxxas it was different excample how fast they run with different batteries and gearing.
    Now i cant find it? Example skill level 3 is 2s lipo 17/54 gear 40mph. I wonder What different setup this 1/16 can be used with. 6 cell NiMH parallel or in series, 2S and 3S Lipo.

Can it realy handle doble NiMh to unlock 50mph or will it be a high risk to use like the 1/10 e revo is on 6s? 2 x Yes
    Im looking to get a setup with fast startup and speed around 35-45 mph.
    How fast is it with stock gearing and 3s lipo/2 pack NiMh? Handy tool: http://scriptasylum.com/rc_speed/top_speed.html

Brushed: Is it fun enough to run brushed? Can it easily take wheelie?
    Dont find topspeed on this brushed version..

Would e revo 1/16 handle Harder crash and bashing vs stampende or slash 1/10? No

Thank you for taking time and answer my questions before i buy and get my kid into this hobby

Good luck!
    Nobody is born with experience

RC Qualifier
    Thank you.

How fast is it with two NiMh in series/ one 3s and stock gearing?
    Would that last or do the esc get easily burned? Before i runned stampede on a 50mph with 3s and i know how to run it without overheat, but this is not the same electronic. And stampede could not run in 60mph like the box say without getting to hot after a 3 min speedrun...

Realy unsure to buy one or not. If the kid does not think the hobby is fun for more then a week, then its me that going ti use it.
    Im use to run e revo/emaxx 1/10 so im just wonder if Im going to think this is to little.
    In another way it is a new truck for me and it do seems like a lot of fun with brushless 1/16

The speed calculator which I linked to is a handy tool to find out the different top speeds.

The stock combo is not happy when you drive it longer on either 3S Lipo or 2 NiMH in series. Besides that with the speeds you reach that way makes the risk of breaking parts much higher. I can say that driving a 1/10 E-Revo on 6S and a Merv on 3S are both pretty special experiences but due to the size, the 1/10 one is more impressive.
    The good thing of the 1/16 scale models is that you need way less room. I can play around in my backyard with a 1/16 car, but not with a 1/10 one.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Ray87 View Post
    Thank you.

How fast is it with two NiMh in series/ one 3s and stock gearing?
    Would that last or do the esc get easily burned? Before i runned stampede on a 50mph with 3s and i know how to run it without overheat, but this is not the same electronic. And stampede could not run in 60mph like the box say without getting to hot after a 3 min speedrun...

Realy unsure to buy one or not. If the kid does not think the hobby is fun for more then a week, then its me that going ti use it.
    Im use to run e revo/emaxx 1/10 so im just wonder if Im going to think this is to little.
    In another way it is a new truck for me and it do seems like a lot of fun with brushless 1/16
    You can't run stock gearing on NIMH in series, you have to run the smaller "speed" pinion to protect the batteries. On new packs in good shape you should easily hit 50 miles per hour, but with terrible run times and hot batteries...

You can run 3 cell lipo on the stock gearing, how fast you go depends on the quality of the batteries. Regardless you want to run them in parallel. A pair of 25-30c 1300mah packs will get you to the mid to high 40's. Decent quality 35C Packs should get you to the mid-50s. With REALLY good packs you can hit 65 when geared 31/45....

Of course anything over 40, you will want different tires. And three cell is strictly for Speed runs on smooth ground, anything else will overheat quickly...

As far as getting this versus a 1/10, that depends on where you're going to run. If you have room for a 1/10, where you run at home and where you transport the trucks, get one. Imo, the only valid reason to get a mini is it you just don't have room for a bigger truck either to store at home in your car to transport it to are you going to drive it or where you drive it.... Just one example, I can easily bring my mini Revo camping, as it fits just about anywhere , while it would be very hard to bring a 1/10 Revo as space is at a premium bringing my family and all the stuff we need camping......
    Dacaur

RC Qualifier
    Thanks for the answers.

If we take this 1/16 e revo brushless Im going to run on NiMh first maby then buy 2s lipo later.
    Will it be the same speed as a stampede brushless stock on NiMh/2s and reach 30mph?

Its so hard to choose.
    I have space in the car, home it not so big space so we use to take it out offroad..
    So i dont need a mini but i just tought it was different fun
    How is the mini e revo offroad? Can it follow a stampede offroad bashing or would it get more stuckt like the slash 1/10?

RC Champion
    Thanks for the answers.

If we take this 1/16 e revo brushless Im going to run on NiMh first maby then buy 2s lipo later.
    Will it be the same speed as a stampede brushless stock on NiMh/2s and reach 30mph?

Its so hard to choose.
    I have space in the car, home it not so big space so we use to take it out offroad..
    So i dont need a mini but i just tought it was different fun
    How is the mini e revo offroad? Can it follow a stampede offroad bashing or would it get more stuckt like the slash 1/10?
    Depend if you are talking about a 2wd or 4X4 stampede. It would have no trouble keeping up with a 2wd stampede in most places. In some terrains it would even dominate. It would have some difficulty in certain terrains like deep grass or crazy lumpy dirt, but going from a mini revo to a mini summit (or just getting the mini revo and some better tires) would solve that.

On a single nimh, you can wheely for the first min or two of the battery, and get about 10 or so min of runtime. adding a second in parallel, you can wheely for about 5 min, and get around 20 min of runtime. You do get about 30mph on nimh, at least at the start of the run.

Going to a pair of 2 cell lipos ups speed to about 35mph, ups the runtime to 45+ min, and allows crazy wheelies from the beginning to the end of the run.

On nimh, even dual nimh in parallel, the wing can serve as a wheely bar.
    On 2 cell lipo, it no longer can. The truck will just flip onto its lid with full throttle application from a stop, you need a real wheely bar once you go to lipo. (or better throttle finger control)
    Also, the stock tires dont last long on lipo power. I drove my truck for a couple years on nimh, the stock tires were fine. I switch to lipo, and they are nearly bald within a month.
    The stock tires are pretty terrible anyway, trenchers or big joe II's (with appropriate gearing) will transform the truck.
    Dacaur

RC Qualifier
    Thanks for the information.

I was wonder how it is in terrain vs a 4x4 stampede brushless.

RC Champion
    With upgraded tires, anything short of a construction site it will do ok vs a 4x4 stampede...

The stock tires really hold back the mini revo. The upside is their lack of traction does a good job of protecting the drivetrain under lipo power....
    Dacaur

Thanks for the information.

I was wonder how it is in terrain vs a 4x4 stampede brushless.
    I run mine with my stampedes and in the yard the stampede does a better job moving through the grass. On hard surfaces they are pretty comparable. The grass just really gets in the way of the smaller tires and lower clearance of the erevo.

RC Champion
    Yea. It's not so much the clearance as the tires. The mini revo does ok on grass in stock from through pure wheelspin. Upgrade the tires to anything decent, even mini summit tires, and you can do wheelies in grass, which a stock mini revo can't....
    Dacaur

Bigger bumps in the surface which the Stampede still can handle might make the Merv bounce all over the place, but that is normal due to the size difference.

I remember the times when the Merv was pretty new and I took it to meetings where many larger cars were around. I surprised many drivers with the unexpected crazy speeds this thing can reach.