RC Competitor

Cant figure out how I keep warping proline wheels!?!?

Video of warped wheel here

https://goo.gl/photos/M2jazbERfB6rSXPg9

Okay so this is now twice this has happened to me. The wheel itself is warped as the problem persist no mater which corner the wheel is placed while other wheels remain true. The first time, proline's customer service replaced a set for me. Now after happening again within 6 or 7 runs I'm beginning to scratch my head over this. I've searched and found several threads but don't seem to be making any progress. This has occurred once in the front and once in the rear. The first time after a long practice session at the track (track has a really big double, 20 ft or so) and the second time bashing on some fairly rough gravel. Each time has resulted in blowing the outer wheel bearing (new BOCA Greens). I understand that the bearing failures may be causing the warped wheel but if that's the case why do I keep blowing bearings?

After close inspection I found that the warped part is where the wheel nut meets the plastic. It looks as if one side of the nut digs in to the wheel itself. I do use the traxxas serrated nuts which do seem to chew the plastic a bit after taking the wheel on and off over time. I would have to imagine that the nuts are holding on after the bearing failure and then sinking in to the wheel due to slop but I don't really know. I'm not sure where to go from here, spacers maybe? I'm just lost. I'm only running 2s on a castle 3800 and I don't think I want the 17mm wheel conversions because I race and I'd hate to lose all the 2.2/3.0 SC wheel options.

Relevant upgrades include MIPS X-DUTY F/R and all of the aluminum bits from the ultimate. I do have the MIPS properly installed based on the instructions with the bearing spacer in place for the rears. One thing that wasn't clear about the MIPS was the orientation of the outer keyed hex nut. I have the side with the raised lip pointed inwards towards the bearing. This looks correct based on the instructions.

Any help or insight would be greatly appreciated
    Last edited by dakjones; 07-05-2017 at 11:08 AM.
    Flying gravel hurts and watch your feet..

RC Qualifier
    I have had quite a few Traxxas steel wheel nuts which have been threaded "skewedly", and the result is exactly how you describe it. In some nut packs I've had to throw away almost every second nut.
    I always put the wheel nuts onto the axles without the wheel, and then run it slowly. This way one can see if the nut flange wobbles. If it does, throw the nut away and try a new one.

Btw. you have the keyed hex correctly mounted.

DE racing makes a 17mm short course wheel, I use them for every truck I have. Let's you keep your short course tires and stop stripping 12mm hexes. Trinidad's I think they're called by de racing. Give them a look
    Its alright son I'll fix it when you break it

Its alright son I'll fix it when you break it

this would be my advice too. 12mm hexes are a waste of time with anything over 2s.
    sl4sh 2200 / p4de 2400

RC Competitor

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Viking View Post
    I have had quite a few Traxxas steel wheel nuts which have been threaded "skewedly", and the result is exactly how you describe it. In some nut packs I've had to throw away almost every second nut.
    I always put the wheel nuts onto the axles without the wheel, and then run it slowly. This way one can see if the nut flange wobbles. If it does, throw the nut away and try a new one.

Btw. you have the keyed hex correctly mounted.
    Huh...never thought of it actually being the nut that's warped. I assume this is not the case for me because the wheel was straight before it happened. Something to look out for. Thank you for the tip

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by FnFancy View Post
    DE racing makes a 17mm short course wheel, I use them for every truck I have. Let's you keep your short course tires and stop stripping 12mm hexes. Trinidad's I think they're called by de racing. Give them a look
    Oh cool! This maybe my solution going forward. I'd imagine going to the 17mm would likely solve these issues. Still would like to solve this puzzle. Thank you for your help ��

Quote Originally Posted by dakjones View Post
    Video of warped wheel here

https://goo.gl/photos/M2jazbERfB6rSXPg9

Okay so this is now twice this has happened to me. The wheel itself is warped as the problem persist no mater which corner the wheel is placed while other wheels remain true. The first time, proline's customer service replaced a set for me. Now after happening again within 6 or 7 runs I'm beginning to scratch my head over this. I've searched and found several threads but don't seem to be making any progress. This has occurred once in the front and once in the rear. The first time after a long practice session at the track (track has a really big double, 20 ft or so) and the second time bashing on some fairly rough gravel. Each time has resulted in blowing the outer wheel bearing (new BOCA Greens). I understand that the bearing failures may be causing the warped wheel but if that's the case why do I keep blowing bearings?

After close inspection I found that the warped part is where the wheel nut meets the plastic. It looks as if one side of the nut digs in to the wheel itself. I do use the traxxas serrated nuts which do seem to chew the plastic a bit after taking the wheel on and off over time. I would have to imagine that the nuts are holding on after the bearing failure and then sinking in to the wheel due to slop but I don't really know. I'm not sure where to go from here, spacers maybe? I'm just lost. I'm only running 2s on a castle 3800 and I don't think I want the 17mm wheel conversions because I race and I'd hate to lose all the 2.2/3.0 SC wheel options.

Relevant upgrades include MIPS X-DUTY F/R and all of the aluminum bits from the ultimate. I do have the MIPS properly installed based on the instructions with the bearing spacer in place for the rears. One thing that wasn't clear about the MIPS was the orientation of the outer keyed hex nut. I have the side with the raised lip pointed inwards towards the bearing. This looks correct based on the instructions.

Any help or insight would be greatly appreciated
    Hey Dak,

Interesting issue you have there. It "sounds" like a loose retaining nut while driving that is causing this. You mentioned "It looks as if one side of the nut digs in to the wheel itself". If the hex nut is tight against the inner-wheel landing, that should not be able to happen. Now stripping or rounding the wheel hex hole is definitely possible, even while as tight as it will get. I started stripping my Badlands28 12mm hexes within a few 4S packs of hard bashing. Does this happen with any wheel or just a certain model? As others have said, 17mm should eliminate that problem but it does limit your wheel selection. If you're doing 20ft jumps, it could just be the nature of beast!

-Shack

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by shack351 View Post
    Hey Dak,

Interesting issue you have there. It "sounds" like a loose retaining nut while driving that is causing this. You mentioned "It looks as if one side of the nut digs in to the wheel itself". If the hex nut is tight against the inner-wheel landing, that should not be able to happen. Now stripping or rounding the wheel hex hole is definitely possible, even while as tight as it will get. I started stripping my Badlands28 12mm hexes within a few 4S packs of hard bashing. Does this happen with any wheel or just a certain model? As others have said, 17mm should eliminate that problem but it does limit your wheel selection. If you're doing 20ft jumps, it could just be the nature of beast!

-Shack
    Okay so please try to explain exactly what/where the retaining nut is? I'm not sure that I even have one lol. My only experience so far is the proline's renegade wheels.

Let me add my $0.02. Every time that I put MIP X-DUTY axles on an Ultimate Edition Slash 4x4 the aluminum wheel nuts get warped and strip. I have learned that you have to switch to standard wheel nuts to hold the wheel on. I believe you are experiencing the same problem.
    Member of the 10,000 + posts club! Here to help!

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by El Sob View Post
    Let me add my $0.02. Every time that I put MIP X-DUTY axles on an Ultimate Edition Slash 4x4 the aluminum wheel nuts get warped and strip. I have learned that you have to switch to standard wheel nuts to hold the wheel on. I believe you are experiencing the same problem.
    Interesting, I had switched to the aluminum serrated nuts after having a wheel fly off from a wheel nut backing out. So you'd suggest just using the stock traxxas nuts maybe with a bit of thread locker? If not those which ones do you like? I've nearly switched exclusively to 2s due to local racing but i have been tossing in 3s packs here and there for fun. Running the castle 3800 with a mamba monster 2 and with a 50c Gens Ace 2s it's pretty impressive. 3s is violent lol. Tearing up these pricey wheels is getting old fast though.

The stock Traxxas wheel nuts will solve your problem. Add some Loctite and you will be ready to race

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by El Sob View Post
    The stock Traxxas wheel nuts will solve your problem. Add some Loctite and you will be ready to race
    Awesome man! As always, thank you for all your help

Quote Originally Posted by dakjones View Post
    Awesome man! As always, thank you for all your help
    I am very happy that i am able to help you