RC Enthusiast

Help with Pinion and Spur combo for CC's 1512-1y 2650KV motor

Hello All,
    I been looking on the Castle Creation's web page about the recommended pinion and spur gear combo's for the 1512-1y 2650kv motor in a Slash 4x4 LCG chassis. Cannot seem to find anything.
    Can anyone show me where I can find it and maybe tell me what you use on your setup if you have this motor in a Slash 4x4x.

Thanks in advance.
    /quadcells

16 to 20 pinion and 54 spur should be good. I ran 20/50 with my 2200.

You should always monitor your temps for when, where, and how you run your rig for the first few packs.

Have fun!
    Creativity is intelligence having fun. -Einstein

RC Enthusiast
    I'm running 17/54 with no problems with heat on 3s and the outside temp is 120+
    Plenty of power on 3s and motor set to medium . Pops wheelies from a stand still and while running.
    Your going to love that motor. What esc you going to run?

RC Enthusiast
    Thanks Squeegie, can I count on the Traxxas temp sensor, I do have a temp gun too.
    Kwatterson, I have a Mamba X esc.

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Quadcells View Post
    Thanks Squeegie, can I count on the Traxxas temp sensor, I do have a temp gun too.
    Kwatterson, I have a Mamba X esc.
    That's the combo I run
    I would like to know about the Traxxas temp sensor as well
    Looking at log files from both traxxas and cc I see about a 10 degree (f) difference

I've checked my telemetry against my temp gun a couple times...usually within 5-10f with the temp gun reading higher. It's a cheapy temp gun though so.....?? I feel the telemetry is accurate enough to help avoid damage. I shut my truck down if the motor gets over 150f. My set-up rarely gets that hot though. Also keep in mind that telemetry only measures motor temp not esc temp.
    Slash 4x4 Ult 2150kv
    Rustler vxl
    Ford GT vxl

RC Enthusiast
    I monitor both esc and motor temp with the expansion pack
    Only a possible 10 degree error is good enough for me

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by kwatterson View Post
    I monitor both esc and motor temp with the expansion pack
    Only a possible 10 degree error is good enough for me
    Do you have two Traxxas temp sensors (one one the motor and the second one somewhere on the ESC) both connect to the expansion pack, So how does the Traxxas Link app see those two sensors.

RC Enthusiast
    Do you have two Traxxas temp sensors (one one the motor and the second one somewhere on the ESC) both connect to the expansion pack, So how does the Traxxas Link app see those two sensors.
    The temp sensor for the motor is connected to the receiver in the temp/power port.
    The ESC sensor is on the bottom of the heat sink connected to the expansion pack
    I also have another temp sensor connected to the battery.
    And before I went to the MMX ESC I had power sensors for both battery and external BEC one on the receiver and one on the expansion pack.

The link app shows the sensor and then you just name it. Then add it to the dashboard. SO, if your going to run multiple sensors hook them up one at a time and name them before connecting the next one.

I don't watch them all of the time, just set a warning and look when my phone goes off.

PM me if you want to bash near Grass Valley, CA
    ...Castle Creation...2650kv motor...Slash 4x4 LCG chassis.
    I run 18/54 on 3S for the exact same setup you have.
    Obstacle Magnet

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by jvogel View Post
    I run 18/54 on 3S for the exact same setup you have.
    How is that combo for acceleration and top speed?

What's up Quad!

I agree with JVOGEL. I've run that same setup and it is an excellent compromise for both ends of the spectrum. It gives you a little bit of each. If you want hyper-acceleration or extreme high speed, you will need to gear accordingly. There's no way around it. You can do a lot from just a quick pinion change when you want a different experience from your Slash. It is an inexpensive, but effective, place to start.

-Shack

RC Enthusiast
    Hi,
    Cool, I have a 54t and a 50t spur gears, 16t, 18t and 21t pinion all of which are Robinson racing harden steel gears. So I guess I'll start with the 18t/54t setup first. Heading down to NJ/NY this weekend and my wife and i will be bring our Slash's to bash around.
    I will let you all know how it goes with it all.
    Thanks for your inputs and wisdom, I appreciate.

PM me if you want to bash near Grass Valley, CA
    I've never been into speed runs. I like offroad, jumps, and sliding in the turns. That said, my Sl4sh is very quick and faster than I can control it. So, I'd say it is excellent for acceleration and top speed.
    Obstacle Magnet

RC Enthusiast
    Hello,
    I went with the 18t pinion and 54t spur RR gears. Ran two 3s 5000mah batteries thru my Slash before my servo horn fell off. The only screw I didn't put blue thread lock on. Anyways that combo with the CC 2650kv motor was just awesome. I was running on 3" grass and packed dirt. Just cruising at half throttle then just s t punch it and instant wheelies. I was going to try my 4s but like I said the servo horn fell off before I could. Traveling the next couple days so I will not get a chance to try the 4s until the weekend. But I don't think I'll be using 4s much, plenty of power to spare.
    Thanks everyone for your inputs.
    BTW:
    Now my son wants to move up from his 1/16 Slash to the 1/10 scale after seeing mine.

Hello,
    I went with the 18t pinion and 54t spur RR gears. Ran two 3s 5000mah batteries thru my Slash before my servo horn fell off. The only screw I didn't put blue thread lock on. Anyways that combo with the CC 2650kv motor was just awesome. I was running on 3" grass and packed dirt. Just cruising at half throttle then just s t punch it and instant wheelies. I was going to try my 4s but like I said the servo horn fell off before I could. Traveling the next couple days so I will not get a chance to try the 4s until the weekend. But I don't think I'll be using 4s much, plenty of power to spare.
    Thanks everyone for your inputs.
    BTW:
    Now my son wants to move up from his 1/16 Slash to the 1/10 scale after seeing mine.
    Great selection Quad! We have used that same setup on our CC 2650 Kv rigs and it is pretty much non-stop fun! For me, 3S is great but 4S just adds that extra "punch" that I desire. In some cases, like driving on wet grass, the 4S batt doesn't offer a whole lot more. Even with my Badlands28, traction is limited and 3S seems to be enough. When the ground is dry or just a high-traction surface, I gotta have at least 4S. I have even done a few speed runs on the 2650 with 6S and no ill effects. The motor hit 168 with 2 back-to-back passes and had the cheap ($10) little CC 15xx blower fan on it. It is playing with fire a little bit but 6S can be used very briefly for some killer speeds!

I'm right there with you! Having my son to see me "playing" with my Slash when I first installed the 2650 only made him want one too. I caved in and got him the same combo for his B-day. Needless to say, he loves it! I think a few more a-arms and turnbuckles have had to pay the price though!

-Shack

RC poster
    I was running 18/54 for a little while in 3s but the motor would reach 150 after a pack and the esc at around 110. Just swapped over to 20/50. Ran it for about 10 mins in 85 degree weather and both motor and esc was around 115 degrees. I run the 2650 with the MM2. Maybe 20/50 is the magic ratio for my setup. Also running 2.8" tires.