Thread: 65 tooth spur!!

RC Qualifier

65 tooth spur!!

Browsing eBay for spur gear, I stumbled across the Vaterra v100 48p 65t spur. Since the tires were a perfect fit, I figured I would try. Well IT FITS PERFECTLY!! Popped the stock one out and the new one went right in. Now I have to get a 45t pinion and see if it will squeeze in there. Then I will have 1.44 ratio, so with the 2.85 diff ratio I should have 4.12 FDR. Maybe there is hope for VTA or USGT racing yet...
    The 29t pinion fits just fine with great mesh and no rubbing on the cover. Seariously a great day for my 4tec2.

In addition I got some 17mm extension that make the 30mm foams work perfectly in the back.

What pinion are you running?

Sent from my SM-N920R4 using Tapatalk

RC Qualifier
    Currently 29t Robinson racing.

RC Qualifier
    I took the car out to the track yesterday. The new spur gear worked perfectly. I put two packs through her. Temps were a little high at 150, but it was soooooo fast. A huge difference in speed with 65/29.

Nice work!!
    Sla2hP4deXSummitRusty2TRX4Bigfoot#14TEC2.0Rally

Sweet! Thanks for the heads up.
    Still running the Titan? What hole did you use with that combo of spur and pinion?
    3RusterXL5
    4Nitro4Tec
    "Snap On"Alias
    Craniac

RC Qualifier
    i believe it was the G-hole. i had 70/25, and the 65/29 dropped right into the exact same spot. i was worried the mesh was too loose at first because it seems like there is some slight play in the gears, but after 2 packs, the gear looks great.

I picked a 65 up too just got to install it. Have you checked what the speed is?

Sent from my SM-N920R4 using Tapatalk

RC Qualifier
    I have not clocked the speed yet. running a HobbyStar 4300kv, 550 motor on 2s. i have been eyeballing a Tenshock 5200kv Sensored motor because it is 66mm long, vs the 55mm length of the 4300 i got. hopefully with my next paycheck...
    the only problem is going to be where to place my ESC. it all fits perfectly snug right now, but that extra 11mm will be noticed... i may need to get a smaller ESC.

RC Qualifier

65/35 woohoo!!!
    No rubbing on the side. Does not sound or feel like it rubs when I put the cover on. Hope to get some video this weekend.

Also got the tenshock in. I'm quite impressed with rcJuice. Great service. It is quite a bit longer and has a 5mm shaft. .
    So waiting on a few new pinions to arrive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RC Qualifier

Got a fancy new servo mount. Now I can move my ESC on top and find a spot for the rx box.

RC Qualifier
    on the new 4tec vxl chassis page, it has a gearing chart to reach 70mph... it says 55/35!!! i think that means they will give us a 55 tooth spur! then i could run 55/38 to get a 4.12 FDR, and 55/40 gets me 3.92 FDR. OUTSTANDING!!!

RC poster
    Hi...which p/n of the Veterra servo mount...Thanks

Oh...found it in your picture! Thanks!!!

Quote Originally Posted by SL4SHGT8BASHER View Post

Got a fancy new servo mount. Now I can move my ESC on top and find a spot for the rx box.

RC Enthusiast
    How did you get the bearing on the Vaterra spur gear? The one I got will not take the bearing unless I beat or press it on.

Ordered another bearing so not to damage the only one I have this size which came in the car.

RC Qualifier
    i used a socket wrench big enough to go over the center and tapped it with a small hammer until it was about 1mm plastic sticking out. it takes some adjusting, but once you get the position just right so it puts pressure onto the pin when placed into the slot for the bearing. i will try to get you some better picture of the spur installed tonight.
    i got 10 of that bearing from Avid once i discovered it was not already in my bag-o-bearings. at roughly $1 each, it's not too expensive to keep a bunch of them. they die all the time, rascals...
    Last edited by SL4SHGT8BASHER; 08-16-2017 at 11:17 AM.

RC Enthusiast
    None that size in my stash either. I had to place an order for bearings for an upcoming 1/16th scale tank kit. I added 4 of the spur gear bearings to it.

Traxxas needs to put that 55 tooth gear out.

RC Champion
    awesome, i need a 65t. thanks bro
    slash 4x4 168mph
    youtube:philip jolley

RC Enthusiast
    Just made some runs out in the street with the 35t pinion and 65t spur gear on 3s. Holy crap does this thing fly. I need to get a gps thing for this car.

Needs better tires also. Anything above 60 or so percent throttle and it is all over the place.

RC Champion
    just picked up a 65t spur also, used a 33t pinion curious if 80mph on 3s is there now.
    slash 4x4 168mph

RC Competitor
    I got the same 65t spur...my first thought was I don't have a lathe to grind it down properly...just smashing bearings onto it I don't like...the other issue I have is its much thinner than the stock 70t. Not good for brushless setups. Could it be ground down...yes.... but I'm leaning towards waiting for traxxas to release proper parts....

RC Enthusiast
    That should be enough to hit 80+ I would think.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by XmaXX209 View Post
    I got the same 65t spur...my first thought was I don't have a lathe to grind it down properly...just smashing bearings onto it I don't like...the other issue I have is its much thinner than the stock 70t. Not good for brushless setups. Could it be ground down...yes.... but I'm leaning towards waiting for traxxas to release proper parts....
    My bearing slid on just as it did the stock traxxas.
    slash 4x4 168mph

RC Qualifier
    The thin-ness is a bit of an issue u gotta get the mesh just right, and several options "feel" about right, but I went one letter closer and it was still smooth. Already stripped a couple teeth on one of my 65t, but since I played with the mesh it has been no trouble. I'm sure it won't do well with extreme power. Maybe somebody can work up a 32p option. I have been thinking about finding a 5mm shaft pinion, but I can't find one big enough to match the 65t, or 55t.
    All these great hop-ups coming out, I wish we could get some gear options.

RC Champion
    mod 1 or 32p pinion is a great way to gear the car. it is really limited on gearing options right now
    slash 4x4 168mph

RC Competitor
    were you running a velineon brushless with the 45t pinion and 65t spur or something else were you running a 29t pinion with the 65 t spur would like to hear more about it

RC Competitor
    sl4shgt8basher are you still running a 65t vaterra 48p with a 29t pinion

RC Competitor
    With stretchmax help I ordered new bearings that fit better from fast eddy bearings online. Size is 8x12x3.5. Choice is rubber seal or metal seal. Only $.99 per bearing or $10 per ten pack. Should be able to test later in the week.

RC Qualifier
    Still running 65t spur. Now with 34t pinion. But i have not run it much lately. I also stripped one out, so this is my second one. I discovered that you need to always try the next set of holes because the fit might be slightly better. Now I find the hole that is just about too tight then back off one hole. I have also experimented with non-matching hole sets. Getting a good mesh will prevent gears stripping. Also not flooring the throttle after a spin out when the car is moving backwards.
    I hope to play with the 55t spur in my vxl chassis tonight.

RC Qualifier

Here you go. 55/37. Only had to shave the gear cover a little. Will try to run a pack through later this week when things dry up. The race track is probably down for months. It was flooded pretty bad.

RC Competitor
    Is that the traxxas 55t or a different brand?

RC Qualifier
    yes. that is the TRX 55 tooth spur from the VXL chassis. in fact... that's the VXL chassis that i installed it in. the only things i have changed on it are the shocks, and motor mount. oh wait... i just noticed i changed the shock towers to the STRC Carbon Fiber ones.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by SL4SHGT8BASHER View Post

Here you go. 55/37. Only had to shave the gear cover a little. Will try to run a pack through later this week when things dry up. The race track is probably down for months. It was flooded pretty bad.

So jealous here. did you buy the gear or a vxl car? tell us.
    slash 4x4 168mph

RC Qualifier
    It's the vxl that I bought. Maybe I bought it just for the gear... but I also wanted the steel center shaft and test the alleged new tires (which I think are the same as the brushed ones now, but have not had a chance to test. I guess now that I put the her in, I could charge up a battery and test tonight)

RC Champion
    Good luck.
    slash 4x4 168mph

RC Competitor
    I ran the 28/65 today. No way it would drop in, I had to sand it for a bit to get the bearing to fit. So the math on chart said hole E but it felt stupid tight. So i went with spot F. Mesh felt good so I tried it....well. It sounded kinda funny then threw a dog bone after only hitting 51mph. Turns out I installed the upper camber brace on the anti roll bar spot so there was too much flex causing the dog bone to pop out.....so much for drinking and wrenching at the same time

RC Qualifier
    I have put three in (stripped one, and put one in a buddies at the track) and they did not require any sanding or fabrication. The bearing was tight but a few taps with a small hammer and it went right into place. The main thing is pushing it slightly past the edge.
    I am currently working on a test to see if some mod1 pinions can be made to fit on the axle and used as a spur. Find out as soon as my gears arrive.