RC poster

Blown Motors and ESC's

I picked up 3 TRX-4's one for me and one for each of my kids, the 3rd one will be here this week. On our second day we blew both motors and ESC's along with one of the Dif servo's and a transmission servo. Anyone else have major issues?

RC Competitor
    you must be doing something horrendously wrong to kill 2 of them so fast. take a wild stab in the dark and guessing that you guys are bashing with them, and switching gears and lockers while at speed?

RC Competitor
    i second that... i bought one a week ago and haven't had it under water or in mud yet but have wheeled it pretty good on a pile of landscape rocks I have piled on a trailer! Iv had the wheels cranked and pined between rocks at all kinds of crazy angles just waiting to hear a SNAP! nothing! run it on 2s and 3s with no issues. engage the lockers while stopped or at really low speeds and same with the tranny just like I would in my "real" rock crawler. know when your stuck and know what the toy was built to do and not to do. its not a go fast do anything slash, its a go slow go over anything crawler!

RC poster
    We ran some deep mud, like axle deep, we did some fording, all with 2S cells, washed everything off in clean water, blew it off with compressed air, tore em down cleaned and lubed everything, kept in my shop overnight to dro (AC'd and dehumidified) day 2 we ran the same course with 3S batteries and within a few minutes everything blew on both trucks.

RC Qualifier
    I bash the heck out of mine on 3S and have yet to experience any issues

RC poster
    I've also bashed, jumped and submerged the truck in deep water, sandy beaches, thick mud, and have yet to get an issue. I run about 2 packs of 5000mAh 3S lipos each time i go out with it and all its got are dents and scratches. When you said 'everything' you mean the electronics just went out?

I've beat the crap out of mine for the last month and half and I haven't had a single issue?
    Is owning 27 RC's too many? No way!

RC poster
    I know the 2 ESC's and motors are fried, 1 tranny servo and 1 diff servo too

RC Racer
    Running in high gear when you should be in low gear?

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

RC Turnbuckle Jr. mwe-maxxowner's Avatar
    Muddy water kills brushed motors quickly.

I have a revo built to be like a summit that is twin Titan powered. I also ran a telluride with a brushed 21t Titan. In either of them, at my muddy bash location, I was killing Titans within 10 minutes. It's not really the motor's fault. Crud gets in the brushes and that's all she wrote.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk
    460, straightpipes, buried throttle, nuff said :D

Traxxas Employee
    Quote Originally Posted by mwe-maxxowner View Post
    Muddy water kills brushed motors quickly.

I have a revo built to be like a summit that is twin Titan powered. I also ran a telluride with a brushed 21t Titan. In either of them, at my muddy bash location, I was killing Titans within 10 minutes. It's not really the motor's fault. Crud gets in the brushes and that's all she wrote.

If I'm driving in a clear stream I don't ever seem to have a problem. If I'm the 6th truck in line and everyone in front of me is kicking up mud, then I tend to have a problem getting lots on mud in the motor quickly. That's why I always try to get to the water first.

RC poster
    I had no idea these motors were so mud/water sensitive, my scx10 has gone through some crazy stuff

I burned up a 27 turn axial motor in muddy water also. Clean water is fine.

I believe the vent holes are smaller in the axial though. Which let's feet pebbles and whatnot in.

I've killed at least 3 Axial 27t's, and 2 Axial 27t's. It's not the motors most of the time I've found, it's usually a combo of the conditions it's been ran, the temperatures the motor hits, and the driving controlling both factors. In no way am I saying it's your fault, I'm just saying the given the heat in the summer combined with mud and such; the motors and electronics have quite a bit stacked against them.
    Is owning 27 RC's too many? No way!

Quote Originally Posted by mwe-maxxowner View Post
    I burned up a 27 turn axial motor in muddy water also. Clean water is fine.

I believe the vent holes are smaller in the axial though. Which lets fewer pebbles and whatnot in.

Quoted and fixed my janky grammar 🙈