RC Competitor

Stripping spider gears

Ive stripped a few spider gears in my front and rear diff on my 1/10 summit. Im tired of having to replace the gears that require buying the whole output gear and tie bar set. Quite surprisingly i have never stripped a ring or pinion gear, a lot of people seem to have that problem and need their diffs to be shimmed, but for some reason ive avoided that.

Ive looked around and the best option seems to be LEM's hardened spider gears.

Are lem really the only ones that make good hardened spider gears ? They're expensive but i assume its worth it.
    Is the aluminium diff cup a must ? Or can i get away with just buying four hardened spider gears and putting them in the stock plastic cups ?

I also have a mamba max and 2200kv castle motor on the way. Are there any settings that i should really adjust in order to save the diffs ? Punch control i guess is all i need to really worry about.

Thanks

A part of the stripping issue is the plastic cup itself.My opinion is the cup under load is flexing enough to allow the mesh to change.My advice for brushless get good quality pinion bearings inner and outer that will help with ring and pinion issues.
    That's what usually happens pinion bearing fails mesh changes and the crunching starts.These trucks are big heavy and have lots of moving parts brushless power wears stuff out at a quicker rate.
    And in some cases breaks things quicker......like self control....lol

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk
    Mountains cant stop me
    they have tried

RC Competitor
    Yeah i just opened up my front diff and my inner pinion bearing was exploded. I dont think im going to upgrade the bearing tho because ive never stripped a diff pinion (yet). Maybe the stock plastic diff case is "flexing" and causing the same phenomenon with the output shafts and the spider gears. I also noticed the four screws that seal up the diff were a bit loose, that probably cause the spider gears mesh to mess up..

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by jamann View Post
    A part of the stripping issue is the plastic cup itself.
    That's the main problem I think, I would definitely recommend an aluminum cup. They will bend less than plastic but I've still seen alot of peeps breaking them anyway. And from my experience, they wear pretty fast where the spider gear shaft outputs at the bottom of the cup. There's no bearing there, steel rubs directly on aluminum
    ... for the fun of excess!