RC Competitor

Help me diagnose my issue MM2 Extreme ESC, Brown out? thermal issues? ext BEC Needed?

I need the community to chime in here. I'm going nuts trying to figure this out. So let me start with my equipment and the issue. I'm running a castle 1410-3800 kv SCT motor and a Castle Mamba Monster 2 extreme. The truck is setup as a racer running 2S exclusively. It's geared @ 15/54. From my understanding temps are good. The motor runs mostly 150-170f. I've seen in the 180s on really hot days but it's pretty rare to see over 170. ESC doesn't break a sweat usually under 130f. I have noticed recently that the esc battery wires (deans) are getting quite hot. Not burning the skin or melting connectors but hotter than I remember them being (dirty connectors causing resistance maybe?)

The issue: Loss of throttle but not steering and fans. Every now and then I lose all power but probably 75-80% of the time I only lose throttle. This can happen at any point during the run of a fully charged pack. I have 4 gens ace 5000 mah packs and it happens with all of them. The weird part is that this usually happens after landing from a big jump (both the track and my bash spot have big jumps). The deans connectors are always tight after. Disconnecting the battery from the ESC always fixes the problem (cant be fixed any other way). It may happen again in a few minutes or not again until the next pack.

I am new so I have limited experience but could this be a brown out? Somehow thermal issues from the wires getting warm? My suspension from what I'm reading is that I need an external BEC but that still doesn't make since to me. My logic is this.

My ESC specs say that it's internal BEC states "User selectable output between 5 and 7 volts; default 5.5 volts" full ESC specs here http://www.castlecreations.com/en/es...sc-010-0108-00

I've set the voltage to 6.0v via castle link. I'm running the stock servo but I do have a new Power HD WP-23KG Waterproof High Torque Digital Servo on the way arriving today that needs 6.6 volts for best performance. I don't have any extra led lights or anything link that. How could an 8th scale esc not be able to handle this??? I called castle and the guy quickly said to get an external BEC but I'm not sure that he really heard my issue.

I just don't know what this could be? Sorry for the long post and thank you in advance for your reply
    Flying gravel hurts and watch your feet..

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by dakjones View Post
    I need the community to chime in here. I'm going nuts trying to figure this out. So let me start with my equipment and the issue. I'm running a castle 1410-3800 kv SCT motor and a Castle Mamba Monster 2 extreme. The truck is setup as a racer running 2S exclusively. It's geared @ 15/54. From my understanding temps are good. The motor runs mostly 150-170f. I've seen in the 180s on really hot days but it's pretty rare to see over 170. ESC doesn't break a sweat usually under 130f. I have noticed recently that the esc battery wires (deans) are getting quite hot. Not burning the skin or melting connectors but hotter than I remember them being (dirty connectors causing resistance maybe?)

The issue: Loss of throttle but not steering and fans. Every now and then I lose all power but probably 75-80% of the time I only lose throttle. This can happen at any point during the run of a fully charged pack. I have 4 gens ace 5000 mah packs and it happens with all of them. The weird part is that this usually happens after landing from a big jump (both the track and my bash spot have big jumps). The deans connectors are always tight after. Disconnecting the battery from the ESC always fixes the problem (cant be fixed any other way). It may happen again in a few minutes or not again until the next pack.

I am new so I have limited experience but could this be a brown out? Somehow thermal issues from the wires getting warm? My suspension from what I'm reading is that I need an external BEC but that still doesn't make since to me. My logic is this.

My ESC specs say that it's internal BEC states "User selectable output between 5 and 7 volts; default 5.5 volts" full ESC specs here http://www.castlecreations.com/en/es...sc-010-0108-00

I've set the voltage to 6.0v via castle link. I'm running the stock servo but I do have a new Power HD WP-23KG Waterproof High Torque Digital Servo on the way arriving today that needs 6.6 volts for best performance. I don't have any extra led lights or anything link that. How could an 8th scale esc not be able to handle this??? I called castle and the guy quickly said to get an external BEC but I'm not sure that he really heard my issue.

I just don't know what this could be? Sorry for the long post and thank you in advance for your reply
    I'm running the same servo with a mmx with output set at 6vdc servo runs fine

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by kwatterson View Post
    I'm running the same servo with a mmx with output set at 6vdc servo runs fine
    okay so maybe it's not BEC related?

RC Competitor
    Maybe a glitch buster? Loss of throttle seems like a bit more than a glitch to me but idk.

RC Competitor
    If the connector is getting hot then there is resistance. Either the amp draw has gone up or the connector is building up resistance. You are pushing the motor temp to the edge. Check that everything rolls freely. I'm assuming you're using genuine deans and not the knockoffs. Also deans are rated lower than the Traxxas plug. XT90 are rated higher still.

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by rskoncepts808 View Post
    If the connector is getting hot then there is resistance. Either the amp draw has gone up or the connector is building up resistance. You are pushing the motor temp to the edge. Check that everything rolls freely. I'm assuming you're using genuine deans and not the knockoffs. Also deans are rated lower than the Traxxas plug. XT90 are rated higher still.
    Yeah that was my thought regarding resistance. I hear that they need cleaned out occasionally. They are genuine deans. As for binding, ive gone through the whole drive-line and it's as smooth as butter. As for motor temps, anyway of knowing what temp thermal shutdown occurs?

RC Racer
    he issue: Loss of throttle but not steering and fans. Every now and then I lose all power but probably 75-80% of the time I only lose throttle. This can happen at any point during the run of a fully charged pack. I have 4 gens ace 5000 mah packs and it happens with all of them. The weird part is that this usually happens after landing from a big jump (both the track and my bash spot have big jumps).
    I'd check all your connection if you haven't done that already for bad solder joint broken wire etc

Sounds like what ExCabSwap experienced...

https://forums.traxxas.com/showthrea...=1#post6396945
    Creativity is intelligence having fun. -Einstein

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by augerin2 View Post
    he issue: Loss of throttle but not steering and fans. Every now and then I lose all power but probably 75-80% of the time I only lose throttle. This can happen at any point during the run of a fully charged pack. I have 4 gens ace 5000 mah packs and it happens with all of them. The weird part is that this usually happens after landing from a big jump (both the track and my bash spot have big jumps).
    I'd check all your connection if you haven't done that already for bad solder joint broken wire etc
    yeah I have and they all look pretty solid but maybe i just need to redo them and maybe switch connector types. Thank you for your response!

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by Squeegie View Post

It really does sound the same. Wonder what he means by "He showed me how to bend the make side of the Dean's connector to force more pressure against the leads". I'd love to solve this without re-soldering new connectors.

RC Competitor

And would this still allow for steering and fans to work if that is the case?

Give him a PM and let us know what he says.

If it's the hard impact that causes the connectors to momentarily loose contact, I wonder if you could just wrap it with some kind of foam to absorb the impact of it slapping against anything (or on either side of the connector keep the middle suspended from impact).
    Creativity is intelligence having fun. -Einstein

RC Competitor
    Give him a PM and let us know what he says.

If it's the hard impact that causes the connectors to momentarily loose contact, I wonder if you could just wrap it with some kind of foam to absorb the impact of it slapping against anything (or on either side of the connector keep the middle suspended from impact).
    Yeah ive got some ideas. Gonna do some testing when I get home. I'll post my results. Hopping it's an easy fix. This cost me a race last weekend

RC Qualifier
    Does your esc have a on switch? A lot of the time they go bad too so maybe eliminating that switch if you have one.
    IG: @818sFastestRC
    Slash 4x4 138MPH

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by Miltdoggie View Post
    Does your esc have a on switch? A lot of the time they go bad too so maybe eliminating that switch if you have one.
    yes it does and went bad in the first few runs. I've already eliminated it. Just soldered the wires together.

RC Competitor
    Okay so I got to do some testing yesterday. Fiddled with the connection, cleaned it up and simply positioned the wires so that they didn't bounce around as much. No issues after 2 packs. Had a completely different issue though after my run and only after I was adjusting my camber and turned on the truck. It started glitching like crazy! Cant get it to stop now. Going to my LHS today for a glitch buster. Really hope this helps. If not I suppose a BEC will be needed

RC Competitor
    Okay so I got to do some testing yesterday. Fiddled with the connection, cleaned it up and simply positioned the wires so that they didn't bounce around as much. No issues after 2 packs. Had a completely different issue though after my run and only after I was adjusting my camber and turned on the truck. It started glitching like crazy! Cant get it to stop now. Going to my LHS today for a glitch buster. Really hope this helps. If not I suppose a BEC will be needed
    What radio system are you using and have you checked for damaged or loose wires where the ESC plugs into the receiver?

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by ncpantherfan71 View Post
    What radio system are you using and have you checked for damaged or loose wires where the ESC plugs into the receiver?
    Using the traxxas 2.4 TQI radio and receiver. I've checked the wires and connections but i'll go over them again tonight when i get home to be sure. Just picked up a glitch buster today so I'm hoping I can solve this before a big race day tomorrow. Thank you for the response

RC Competitor
    Using the traxxas 2.4 TQI radio and receiver. I've checked the wires and connections but i'll go over them again tonight when i get home to be sure. Just picked up a glitch buster today so I'm hoping I can solve this before a big race day tomorrow. Thank you for the response
    I don't think a glitch buster is going to solve your problem.
    We (I work at a hobby shop) have seen a few of the TSM receivers go bad, do you have a second RX you can swap in and check?

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by ncpantherfan71 View Post
    I don't think a glitch buster is going to solve your problem.
    We (I work at a hobby shop) have seen a few of the TSM receivers go bad, do you have a second RX you can swap in and check?
    No unfortunately I dont. Hopefully thats not the case.

RC Competitor
    No unfortunately I dont. Hopefully thats not the case.
    Do you remember what the lights on the ESC and receiver were doing when it acts up?