RC Qualifier

What pinion give same speed like the stock e revo?

Hi.

I have a merv with summit tires.
    16/50 is too slow to get the higher jumps.
    When i change to 28/50 and put on the e revo tires it go around 6-8-9 mph faster, this is perfect for longer and higher jumps. After 10-15 min the stock merv need a break because it feels a bit hot.

What pinion can match the speed with summit wheels?
    Would it get more hot vs merv if i find a pinion that make the same speed?

Thinking about a 19t after searching, but im not sure how mutch speed 3 more tooth will give.
    Its better to gear up a bit vs Keeping 16t and run it on 3s i think.
    E revo tires on 28/50 is great but the tires are little to small and the motor only scream or give cogging with less trottle with this big pinion.

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by Ray87 View Post
    Hi.

I have a merv with summit tires.
    16/50 is too slow to get the higher jumps.
    When i change to 28/50 and put on the e revo tires it go around 6-8-9 mph faster, this is perfect for longer and higher jumps. After 10-15 min the stock merv need a break because it feels a bit hot.

What pinion can match the speed with summit wheels?
    Would it get more hot vs merv if i find a pinion that make the same speed?

Thinking about a 19t after searching, but im not sure how mutch speed 3 more tooth will give.
    Its better to gear up a bit vs Keeping 16t and run it on 3s i think.
    E revo tires on 28/50 is great but the tires are little to small and the motor only scream or give cogging with less trottle with this big pinion.
    I believe that the stock summit vxl is running a 16 tooth pinion. I think that the merv stock is a 28 tooth, and the speed pinion is a 23 tooth. Now, if you are just going for plain speed, buy a motor fan/heatsink, and stick with the 28 tooth. The reason being is that the higher number of teeth = greater speed. The only reason that traxxas says the 23 tooth pinion is the speed pinion is that they don't want people burning up the motors if treated wrongly. But if you are just bashing, and want speed while bashing, then I would get a 20 tooth. I soon plan to upgrade my mini summit to a castle system, and I believe that I am not going to run anything higher than maybe a 20 tooth, because the motor will get hot, and the speed is just to ridiculous.

Bottom line: Just mess around with it, and I would start with a 19-20 tooth pinion, and see how fast it gets from there.

Good Luck!
    Last edited by MiniSummit50Mph; 08-28-2017 at 02:26 PM.

RC Champion
    First, 3 cell with any gearing will only make your overheating problems worse.

As for the pinion, I would go ahead and try 19t, but watch the temps. If you were to find the right gearing to get the same speed as a mini revo, your temps would still be higher, because the extra mass of the larger tires vs the mini revo tires makes the motor work harder.

I assume you are running 2 cell lipo? Are you running one or two packs in parallel? If you are just running one, adding a second in parallel will give you a bit of a speed boost. How much depends on the quality (and age) of your packs.
    If you run a single low c rated pack, adding a second in parallel will give you a decent boost, especially to acceleration. If you are running a single high quality pack, adding a second in parallel will still give a boost, but it won't because big a difference.
    Dacaur