RC poster

Both Lipo puffed again

Yes 2nd time and Traxxas said I must send them in at my $10.00 shipping cost to ma-bee get a
    warranty replacement.

These batteries are 1 month old less than one hr use and never overheated. Both puffed when sitting on my work bench.

The LHS did a replacement the first time but not this time.

5000 mH LIPO’s 3c

I sent an email to Traxxas support about all of this but never got a return email.

used in a TRX-4

So guess we will move to Venom and give that a try and just write off the $200.00??

Any comments welcome.

Rick

onetime I ran one of my cars really hard and it made a lipo puff. did you?
    SLAM!
    "That Tree jumped right in front of me"

RC Racer
    Do you balance/charge your batterys?Lipos need to Balanced every time you charge.Are they getting discharged to low? That will kill liops.

RC Qualifier
    +1 For balance charging.
    Stampede Vxl Aton Summit

Were they full or empty when sitting on the bench? How long did they sit?

I really need to get an ID->balance plug connector so I can balance charge my new 3S packs I haven't used yet... before this happens.
    https://www.youtube.com/c/olds97lss

RC Racer
    I would be shocked if traxxas did not email you back. They also have a one year warranty and after that they will sell you new ones at half price.
    Check your junk folder, they always return a email if they got yours.

RC Racer
    When you get your new lipo's, balance/ charge at a slow rate.I had lot of trouble with traxxas 25c 3s lipo and Venom20c didnt work out any better . I've been using SMC lipos with lots better results.

Accepting requests for bashing at GREENWOOD BASHPLEX in Pittsburgh PA!! Check the thread in the track buddy forum and reply there or pm
    If you leave them totally fully charged they can puff in a couple of days. I've had packs puff for 3 reasons:

1. had a bad cheap China charger that had a bad balance circuit that was overcharging the same cell on all my packs.
    2. Left one in my hot car.
    3. Forgot to storage charge one of my 3s crawler packs and it puffed in 2 days because I left it fully charged. It had been used for a year.

Never leave a lipo fully charged for more than a day. Puffing is 99% percent of the time not the battery's fault. It's usually the charger, or user error.
    Ya can't polish fertilizer...

1) Balance charge packs and make sure the cells are close to eachother with a voltage checker.
    2) Keep your batteries at half charge when you are not using them, even if it is just for a day.
    3) Don't overdischarge your packs i.e. running them down to low in voltage.
    4) If they stay at too high or low of a voltage that causes puffing because it's straining on the cells.

I've followed these directions and have never had a lipo puff on me. If they still puff after this care then it's the manufacture's issue and I would reccomend against using their battery.
    Slash 4x4 and Slash VXL owner

RC poster
    Many thanks for all the post

I use the Traxxas ID chargers thats the only chargers I have 2X

Both batteries were barely used ma-bee 15 minuets on one of them crawling both were charged on my Traxxas ID bluetooth charger one day before they puffed up.

These were new batteries week old and charged correctly and very little use.

They puffed up in 8 hr in my 90 degree garage.

They did email me with a canned email but I had already sent them in and they did replace both batteries.

Rick

Quote Originally Posted by onevw View Post
    many thanks for all the post

i use the traxxas id chargers thats the only chargers i have 2x

both batteries were barely used ma-bee 15 minuets on one of them crawling both were charged on my traxxas id bluetooth charger one day before they puffed up.

These were new batteries week old and charged correctly and very little use.

They puffed up in 8 hr in my 90 degree garage.

they did email me with a canned email but i had already sent them in and they did replace both batteries.

rick
    sweet!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Choose Life !!!

RC Enthusiast
    Yes I have had issues also. I ordered 3 3s 5,000 mah lipos. Received one and it was puffed without use or charge. Traxxas set me out a new one. Used it once and boom that one puffed also. Called traxxas and got a new one sent out. One of the other ones I bought just puffed up last week. All this happened within the last month.