RC Competitor

2 speed transmission gears, plastic or metal?

I know this has been discussed in various threads, but I would like to know how many people actually have the plastic gears... and how they hold up... 😳

Is it possibly a useful upgrade if plastic is present?

I don't know what kind of gears I have, my transmission is working perfectly without any issues with shifting, noises and what not...
    I don't want to mess anything up by taking the transmission out and apart just to see what is inside... 😏

Or does somebody know a way to identify plastic or metal gears without major surgery... 😬
    Maybe a date of purchase or serial number of the car can help identify what's inside, like in a real vehicle... 👌🏻

Would like to hear everyone's thoughts/opinions on this matter in a single thread! 👍🏻
    Last edited by GuidoS79; 07-23-2017 at 04:08 AM.
    My TRX-4 is the meanest shelf queen out there!

As I understand it, the first batch was set out with plastic gears, all others have been metal. There have been very few reports of transmission problems with this rig running metal or plastic gears.
    Submarine Qualified, Chief Inducted, Navy Retired

RC Racer
    I picked mine up from my LHS on June 20th (that's the day it came in). I paid for it ahead of time, toward the end of May, and waited for my TRX-4 to come in.

With that info, do you suppose mine is an early batch (plastic tranny gears)??

It has not shown any signs of weakness or problems at all. I've done some pretty good ripping around and crawling since I have had it too.

Did the first batch really have plastic transmission gears???

I cant imagine Traxxas equipping the trucks with plastic gears, then making and installing metal gears within 1 month of the trucks release.
    MAN, Use Common Sense.
    Outside? THERE IS NO BOX !

Looking at youtube videos there are definitely 3 plastic gears in the original transmission. Two are attached to the output shaft of the spur gear, the third appears to be the high speed gear.

looking at the Traxxas exploded views these gear (set) have two part numbers 8293 and 8293x
    I assume the X version is metal

stores sell the plastic version. I have yet to see the metal version.
    Last edited by noir 522; 07-24-2017 at 12:06 PM.
    MAN, Use Common Sense.
    Outside? THERE IS NO BOX !

RC Racer
    I think the demo models were the first delivery models that had the plastic gears. To get the metal gears right now if you need them i belive you gotta call traxxas untill parts are more available. As for transmission failiers im one of them. Mine was in the transfer case i broke a gear real bad. I did have a buggered up gear in the tranny aswell but nothing broken. I have ALL METAL GEARS in my truck except the spur. I say if your courious pull the tranny apart and check its not bad and it goes back together pretty easy. Plus it needs alittle grease.

Traxxas Employee
    You have nothing to fear with plastic gears. Zilch. They aren't even under that much load in the transmission because the majority of the gear reduction takes place in the portals and differential. The Summit, E-Maxx, and E-Revo all run plastic gears in the transmissions and failures are extremely rare even though they weigh much more and have twice the power.

RC Competitor
    After doing some research on forums, Google and YouTube etc. I think the first delivery models are cars with serial numbers A3817... and A3818... These are the ones I believe have the plastic gears in the transmission.

My serial number is A3848... I think that's not a first delivery model but aren't sure... 😳

Can anyone confirm any of this? Would like to know what kind of model I have... 😊

If you have confirmed you have metal gears, what does the serial number of your car start with?

I'm curious by nature, but not fond of taking things apart when it's working fine... 😉

RC Racer
    The only way to be SHURE is check for yourself. I have metal gears my serial number is A3867

RC Racer
    I'll check what my serial number is then and report back. I am of the same school of thought, GuidoS79.

RC Champion
    Why not just open the transmission and learn how your truck works? It's really not that complicated and I needed to add grease to mine.

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by Fr8cture View Post
    Why not just open the transmission and learn how your truck works? It's really not that complicated and I needed to add grease to mine.
    I hear you, but I am experienced enough in R/C's and real cars (I am a mechanic) to know how it works and to have found out many times that if something isn't broke there is no need to fix it... I don't stress my TRX a lot, but if something is to fail I will take it apart... perhaps when I run out of ideas to do with my TRX I will check it out... just for the fun! 😉