3906 Shelf Queen

So I've been out of the hobby for just over a decade and have an itch to revert my 3906 back to bone stock form using the shoe-box of stock parts I had left over from beefing it up for bashing. If all goes as plan, I should have a unmolested 3906 shelf queen and a good start for a brushless basher. The plan is to go full bore on stock parts meaning exactly the way it came out of the box. Right down to the phillips screws if possible. First step is to replace the stock chassis that I hacked up to fit custom battery packs:

Tips/comments are welcome!

Shoe Box of parts to be cleaned:

Some already in the sink:

As far as broken parts, I need to replace the posts, two bottom and one top suspension arm, both chassis braces, two twisted shafts, and some bent/broken tie rods.

I've found everything but the posts and shafts.
    Last edited by cooleocool; 07-27-2017 at 05:14 PM. Reason: merge

RC Racer
    Sweet.Cant wait to see it after you get it done.Brushed or Brushless motor system?

Quote Originally Posted by jon v View Post
    Sweet.Cant wait to see it after you get it done.Brushed or Brushless motor system?
    This is what I'm shooting for:

Not much of that exists in my Maxx's current form:

This sounds like a fun project! I look forward to your future updates.
    "Happiness depends upon ourselves." -Aristotle

Quote Originally Posted by cooleocool View Post
    This sounds like a fun project! I look forward to your future updates.
    Thanks!

Cleaned up the transmission and reverted back to stock (replaced the lightweight shafts with the stock ones):

Next step is to disassemble and clean up the diffs. I'm still looking for shafts to replace the twisted rears:

I'm putting everything back together dry. No grease or fluids. After 10 years, seems diff grease turns into something like thick glue.

What suspension are you going to use?

What suspension are you going to use?
    For the shelf queen, the original stockers. For the BL conversion, I have Big Bores with dual rate pistons that I can't remember who manufactured.

RC Racer
    Hi IrnGynt. I look forward to your build and wanted to say thanks for sharing. I know it takes time to post, take pictures and do a build while editing all the photos for all to enjoy. I don't know if you are using TapaTalk or photobucket; but everyone seems to forget about screencast. Screencast so far has not pulled a photobucket scheme where your photos are held hostage.

I'll post what I'm seeing in your thread at post number three and five:

If you need help getting the images up PM me.

Your first photos of the chassis, shoe-box parts and washing parts came through fine.
    Last edited by Flux Capacitor; 07-28-2017 at 12:09 PM.
    Welcome To The Futures' Past!

That's frustrating. I've been using Google Photos for all the pics and can see all of them.

I'll try to re-post them here in order:

Last edited by IrnGynt; 07-28-2017 at 02:16 PM.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by IrnGynt View Post
    That's frustrating. I've been Google Photos for all the pics.

Well something has changed, because they are not coming through now.

I inspected the element queue of your pictures, and it seems that you are using goggle.....well it shows up "goggleusercontent.com" which is hosted I guess by themselves.

Anyway, somethings up and I don't won't to see another picture-less thread because another company got greedy.

It could be something as simple as adding the image tags (IMG)(/IMG) around the picture link you are using.
    Last edited by Flux Capacitor; 07-28-2017 at 02:06 PM. Reason: Additional thoughts.

Quote Originally Posted by Flux Capacitor View Post
    It could be something as simple as adding the image tags (IMG)(/IMG) around the picture link you are using.
    I did. The weird thing is that I can see them. I tried adding -tmp.jpg to the links in post #9 to see if that works. Found that recommendation through a google search.

RC Racer
    I did. The weird thing is that I can see them. I tried adding -tmp.jpg to the links in post #9 to see if that works. Found that recommendation through a google search.

That works! I see all the photos in post #9. Thanks and look forward to seeing the thread evolve.
    Another way to spot if that happens again, is to log out and see if the photos are still visible as a non-signed in member.

I wonder why you would have to all of the sudden add additional tags to photo links? The first photos came through fine like I said, but what happened to change the format tags of the photos I wasn't able to see in posts 3 and 5?
    Last edited by Flux Capacitor; 07-28-2017 at 03:03 PM. Reason: Additional thoughts.

I wonder why you would have to all of the sudden add additional tags to photo links? The first photos came through fine like I said, but what happened to change the format tags of the photos I wasn't able to see in posts 3 and 5?
    Got me? What I saw with the google search was it may be something with this forum. Thanks for pointing it out though! What a waste of time that would've been!

Back to the pics! Trying to get a bit done each night. Between work, home and family I have about 1 hour per day to do this

Got my centers today from a vintage rc webstore (valkyrie RC motorsports):

Cleaned up the front and rear diffs. They were a mess inside. The grease had the consistency of thick and tacky glue.

Shocks cleaned up and reassembled.

Still have to get the motor and ESC situated. Replace the Deans connectors with Tamiya connectors and put back the bullet connectors.

So it looks like my pics didn't work again. Let me try again

Got me? What I saw with the google search was it may be something with this forum. Thanks for pointing it out though! What a waste of time that would've been!

Back to the pics! Trying to get a bit done each night. Between work, home and family I have about 1 hour per day to do this

Got my centers today from a vintage rc webstore (valkyrie RC motorsports):

Cleaned up the front and rear diffs. They were a mess inside. The grease had the consistency of thick and tacky glue.

Shocks cleaned up and reassembled.

Still have to get the motor and ESC situated. Replace the Deans connectors with Tamiya connectors and put back the bullet connectors.

RC Racer
    So it looks like my pics didn't work again.
    The last five pictures were up two days ago, intermittent the day before and completely gone now. Just use Screencast and be done with fighting to get pictures to stay up on the site.

It might be some privacy setting in google-pics that isn't allowing public access to either the URL or the link depending on how you are tagging your photos.

Also, see how the "parse links" option is set on the Traxxas site itself in your settings before you send off your post to the thread.

The "preview post button" is a good way to see how the parse editor is retagging stuff, and you can correct it before the actual post is submitted to the thread.
    Last edited by Flux Capacitor; 07-31-2017 at 12:28 PM. Reason: Additional thoughts.

*SETBACK*

Looks like there are multiple versions of the 3906 and mine is the wide maxx version so I ordered the wrong arms and pins. DOH! Looks like the Wide Maxx share parts with both the 3906 and 3905 but also have parts specific to the Wide Maxx like the diffs. Wide Maxx diffs have 4 screws but do NOT have the gasket or bushings.

I thought I was almost finished with this...

That's why I asked about which suspension you were using.

It also gets more interesting than that. The 4 screw diffs were released later in the E-Maxx's life. The original Wide Maxx trucks did not come with 4 screw diffs, but the original 2 screw diffs instead. The bulkheads also varied a bit as well.

It also gets more interesting than that. The 4 screw diffs were released later in the E-Maxx's life. The original Wide Maxx trucks did not come with 4 screw diffs, but the original 2 screw diffs instead. The bulkheads also varied a bit as well.
    Now you tell me!

Thank goodness I kept most of the original parts!

Is there some history write-up or site you can link me? If there's not, there should be I can't imagine that I'm the only that has or wants to restore their old rig back to its stock glory and going by the Traxxas provided exploded views could lead to some mix-ups.

Not that I am aware of. If you have any questions about the older E-Maxxs, I can probably answer them. I've owned mine for 16 years. I ordered it around the time Traxxas recalled the original ESC and replaced it with the Novak EVX (resulting in the price going up for me!).

Another variation worth mentioning is the motors. Your truck most likely had the original Titans; they only had 2 vents in the top of the can, fewer fan blades, and were 23-turn motors. The newer Titans had 4 vents, more fan blades, and were 21-turn motors.

If you have any questions about the older E-Maxxs, I can probably answer them.
    Good to know! Thanks!

So based on Flux Capacitor's recommendation, I'm trying Screencast to host and link pictures. Got the front end done and am waiting for parts to continue.

RC Racer
    When you get this rig restored back to its original glory, if you don't mind, please share what the out of pocket total cost to restore it came to. I'm interested in this thread for the sole purpose that I had a question on the forum regarding if it was even possible to get every stock piece for my latest E-Maxx model and yours is way older than mine.

Your last picture came through no problem, and lets hope it stays that way

When you get this rig restored back to its original glory, if you don't mind, please share what the out of pocket total cost to restore it came to. I'm interested in this thread for the sole purpose that I had a question on the forum regarding if it was even possible to get every stock piece for my latest E-Maxx model and yours is way older than mine.
    Will do! So far I've managed to find everything but a new body (green), the stock (undersized) shafts (so I used the twisted ones), and the round old-style body posts (will try to repair the broke ones). I can get it together with what I have and just keep a look-out for the parts I need to eventually get it the way I want.

Current progress:

Finding that green body will be tough, they were only out for a short while. It also seemed like many people here on the forums were always on the lookout for them back in the day. As for the shafts, you could probably cut down a pair of the longer ones to make them fit so you don't need to use the pretzel style shafts you have now.

Finding that green body will be tough, they were only out for a short while. It also seemed like many people here on the forums were always on the lookout for them back in the day. As for the shafts, you could probably cut down a pair of the longer ones to make them fit so you don't need to use the pretzel style shafts you have now.
    I saw a green body on Letgo the other day in perfect shape. Only thing was it was for a T-Maxx so the bed had the cut-outs for the motor. $10.

The shafts weren't pretzeled bad enough where they wouldn't work. Just noticeable.

Ordered front and rear turnbuckles today. Got the wrong ones previously. I have to use the exploded views for both the 3906 and 3905 to get part numbers. When I first started searching for parts, I was going strictly by the 3906