RC Qualifier

Left Tx on by mistake, now trans won't shift?

I goofed and left my Tx on for a week and of course the Batts died.

Put fresh ones in, but now it's stuck in low range and the trans servo does nothing regardless of switch position

Before I go ripping out the servo, what steps should I take to make sure the Rx is actually getting a switch signal from the Tx?

RC poster
    Plug a different servo into its location

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RC Qualifier
    Ok, so I opened up the case and started pulling the plugs one by one (didn't know which was which)

The first two were for the front and rear lockers and the third was for the 2-speed servo.

With the stock servo in place, there's a high pitched buzz that changes tone as you flip the switch.

No movement, just the kinda sound you get when you put a little tension on a servo that wants to stay in position.

Pulled the plug and plugged in a brand new HiTec HS81 Micro I had originally bought for one of my planes.

As I plugged it in, it started twitching and vibrating (weird)

Flipped the switch and it appeared to work, but then would start vibrating again randomly.

Also noticed that both the stock servo and the HiTec servo had the same high pitched buzz and would get warm just being plugged in.

Gunna put together a quick video to show you guys what I'm talkin bout

RC Qualifier
    quick n crude video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tJqMs71Gt4w

I'll be calling them in the morning, but what do you think is the issue here?

Accepting requests for bashing at GREENWOOD BASHPLEX in Pittsburgh PA!! Check the thread in the track buddy forum and reply there or pm
    Do all other servos work normally? That is strange that the brand new one does it too. Leaving the TX on should not cause this... But hey I've never owned this TX... Hopefully you find a quick solution
    Ya can't polish fertilizer...

RC Qualifier
    Yes, the other servos work fine.
    No noises and they don't get warm.

Did you leave your truck on as well?
    Submarine Qualified, Chief Inducted, Navy Retired

RC Qualifier
    No, I'm using a 3s Lipo pack, so it definitely gets turned off and unplugged when not in use

RC Qualifier
    OK, just spent 3 minutes on the phone with Traxxas and they're sending me a new servo (this is why i love this company)

I explained the details and sent them a link to the video, but they're not able to view it and say they're 100% sure it's stripped gears as it's the most common failure, however, it doesn't really sound like a stripped servo to me as the high pitched whine is constant and sounds more electronic than mechanical.

I'm sure a new servo will work fine, but for how long?

The heat from just being plugged in has me a bit concerned.

Quote Originally Posted by 98 SNAKE EATER View Post
    Ok, so I opened up the case and started pulling the plugs one by one (didn't know which was which)
    I label the connectors going into the receiver to keep from getting the confused and having to trace the back. I use a fine-tipped silver paint pen and put letters on the connectors:

E = ESC
    S = Steering (front)
    R = Rear steering
    W = Winch
    G = 2-speed shift (gear)
    F = Front locker
    B = Back locker

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Submarine Qualified, Chief Inducted, Navy Retired

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by 98 SNAKE EATER View Post
    OK, just spent 3 minutes on the phone with Traxxas and they're sending me a new servo (this is why i love this company)

I explained the details and sent them a link to the video, but they're not able to view it and say they're 100% sure it's stripped gears as it's the most common failure, however, it doesn't really sound like a stripped servo to me as the high pitched whine is constant and sounds more electronic than mechanical.

I'm sure a new servo will work fine, but for how long?

The heat from just being plugged in has me a bit concerned.
    The steering servo has had a lot of problems and most everyone is replacing them with stronger servos. I installed the Savox 1230sg. it fits great, you'll need to use a 3 inch extender wire available at any LHS. Also replace the servo horn with a 25t aluminum one. I used the Axail model because I had some, it has the small screws that allow you to clamp the horn to the servo shaft.
    "Better Old and Devious than Young and Exuberant"

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by BRICK57 View Post
    The steering servo has had a lot of problems and most everyone is replacing them with stronger servos. I installed the Savox 1230sg. it fits great, you'll need to use a 3 inch extender wire available at any LHS. Also replace the servo horn with a 25t aluminum one. I used the Axail model because I had some, it has the small screws that allow you to clamp the horn to the servo shaft.

I haven't had any problems with the steering servo (apart from being weak), but then again, I'm not nearly as hardcore as others

I still have yet to get my truck dirty as I drive it around my house quite a bit

As for the 2-speed servo, is there a trick to removing it?

I've only eyeballed it and it looks like it will be a pain to just remove the 2 screws

RC Qualifier
    OK, just got done installing the new servo they sent and it was definitely the culprit.

I plugged it in as a test and it worked as it should (no jitters), which makes me wonder why 3 of the new HS-81 servos I have vibrated like crazy when I plugged them in (maybe not enough voltage supplied??)

Getting the horn installed was a bit tricky, but it's shifting fine and the servo doesn't seem to hang up with tension on the saver like it did before.

It did make a random clicking noise when I tried to shift from a dead stop (I hope I didn't strip a gear), but after a few laps around the living room, I couldn't reproduce it

I do know that if I ever have to replace it again, I'll want to upgrade to sumthin better...

What options do I have for metal gear/waterproof servo that is a drop in replacement?