Thread: Shock Questions

Question Shock Questions

I have 3 Questions about Shocks:

1. What does the different holes in the shock pistons mean? I'm guessing that it changes the rate of the shock moving? Like, if I put in a 1 hole piston it makes the shock stiffer than, say having a 3 hole piston in it?

2. What does the different shock spring rate mean? I personally have no clue what it means. I only have theories like it means the shock is stiffer or softer, but i don't know what is what (aka -25% or +25%)

3. What's the difference between having the stock plastic Ultra Shocks and the Big Bore Shocks. And what's the difference between stock plastic Ultra Shocks and stock plastic Ultra Shocks with Aluminum Shock Caps. And finally what's the difference between Big Bore Shocks and stock plastic Ultra Shocks with Aluminum Shock Caps?

Thats all. Thank you for any answers that I receive.
    When I ain't at school I'm racing my Slash

Quote Originally Posted by h2rac3r View Post
    I have 3 Questions about Shocks:

1. What does the different holes in the shock pistons mean? I'm guessing that it changes the rate of the shock moving? Like, if I put in a 1 hole piston it makes the shock stiffer than, say having a 3 hole piston in it?
    Yes, there will be more damping with the fewer holes (or if they're smaller holes). It will also "pack" more, meaning that even with two evenly matches shocks (say one with fewer holes and thinner oil, and one with more holes and thicker oil), the one with fewer holes will dampen/stiffen more quickly with fast/hard impacts, like landing a big jump. The one with more holes will still be relatively soft on fast/hard impacts.

2. What does the different shock spring rate mean? I personally have no clue what it means. I only have theories like it means the shock is stiffer or softer, but i don't know what is what (aka -25% or +25%)
    Not sure what the -/+ 25% thing is, but I think that's a Traxxas thing and probably means the spring is softer or harder than the stock spring.

3. What's the difference between having the stock plastic Ultra Shocks and the Big Bore Shocks. And what's the difference between stock plastic Ultra Shocks and stock plastic Ultra Shocks with Aluminum Shock Caps. And finally what's the difference between Big Bore Shocks and stock plastic Ultra Shocks with Aluminum Shock Caps?
    Ultra shocks are all plastic. The plastic caps tend to fall off, so you can buy replacement aluminum ones that stay on a lot better.

Big bore shocks are the same size as Ultra Shocks, but use all aluminum bodies and caps, for more durability and a smoother shock.
    youtube.com/c/RazorRCvideos

Accepting requests for bashing at GREENWOOD BASHPLEX in Pittsburgh PA!! Check the thread in the track buddy forum and reply there or pm
    Big bores also have titanium nitride coated shock shafts and tend to bend less than the stock shock shafts. I like using losi springs. They ar rated in lbs, and its much easier to tell what I need to switch to when I need too go softer/harder...
    Ya can't polish fertilizer...

Thank you for your input. I wanted to know this because the next big project I'm gonna do is a shock rebuild.
    When I ain't at school I'm racing my Slash

Accepting requests for bashing at GREENWOOD BASHPLEX in Pittsburgh PA!! Check the thread in the track buddy forum and reply there or pm
    Every individual part in these shocks can be upgraded/ replaced around the awesome traxxas seal design. Not everything needs replaced, but you can if ya like 8)

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by rag6 View Post
    Every individual part in these shocks can be upgraded/ replaced around the awesome traxxas seal design. Not everything needs replaced, but you can if ya like 8)
    That is great thing. So I can buy aluminum shocks body and just change stock shock body?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have done that with strc bodies, hot racing caps and trx TiNi shafts stock pistons and seals