Thread: Velineon temps?

RC Competitor

Velineon temps?

So I bought a ford gt and had hobby shop install the velineon vlx 3500 brushless.

It's fairly powerful, and reasonably fast. The issue is with no fans, it gets quite hot.....I ran some speed runs in front of my house in 95f heat and after maybe 10 min motor was over 200f....esc was 145f+. Running a traxxas 3s lipo...

I'm thinking fans on motor and esc....since I want to gear up for speed runs later....

RC Qualifier
    I think the stock brushed gearing is way too low(for accel, not top-end) for the brushless system. The guy at the track I go to had the vxl in his and was getting hot with 70/25. We switched to 70/29 and temps went down. Then switched again to 65/33 and added a fan (it's hot af down here) and his temp were still below 140. This was on 2s though. The vxl system does not really handle 3s for long though. If you can find the 55 tooth spur now available, and gear it 55/29-35 I bet it will run cooler. The stock gears just don't take advantage of the torque from a brushless setup. When I geared up my brushless motor, temps also went down. Today I ran my 5200kv sensored setup with two fans, on 2s and temps were in the low 140's.

RC poster
    I have a Castle SCT set-up in my GT (1410-3800kv motor) and run 29/70. With fans on both the motor and ESC, my motor gets to about 115-120 and the ESC is somewhere in the 110 range. This is on 2S and the car is plenty fast. I may try 3S at some point, but for now, I'm good.

RC Competitor
    I installed the fan on the esc and motor....much better......motor hit around 120f, esc was 10f less....the hottest part of the car was the tires! Tires hit 130f it was around 90f outside.