RC poster

Rustler upgrade to velineon brushless and vxl-3s problems

So I am a noob here and in the rc world. Just got my son a stampede titan 12t. And needed a charger to plug into the wall, and wanted to get a longer lasting lipo. I ebayed a rustler xl5 that came with both. I did also get a few aluminum parts. Shock towers, big bore shocks, and a front bumper. The added weight and the 12t titan motor thats already got super hot and smelled like it was burning, burned up. I then went for the vxl 3s velineon brushless upgrade. I put it in just fime and took it out for a test drive i was impressed, spinning donuts on pavement with ease. And then my tire blew. So stole my sons off his pede and put it back down and then nothing, my rustler barely drives. So i check the pinon gear and all looks well. If i hold the back up off ground the tires spin quite fast. But it will barely even drives, whats my next course of action. Thanks in advance for any help
    Last edited by Deeznutz357; 07-30-2017 at 10:18 PM.

Accepting requests for bashing at GREENWOOD BASHPLEX in Pittsburgh PA!! Check the thread in the track buddy forum and reply there or pm
    It sounds like the roll pin in the top shaft broke. Before you pull the gearbox out to check for that, check to make sure one of the axle hex pins did not fall out, then check the slipper clutch pin did not fall out. if those pins are where they are supposed to be, then you will need to pull the gearbox apart and check the top gear/roll pin. There are 2 pins in the top shaft. The one outside of the gearbox secures the slipper, the one inside the gearbox secures the top gear... That is the one that usually breaks, and the result exactly fits your description.

You can check out the exploded parts pages on the support section of the main sight here to see what im explaining. Easiest way to repair is to buy w new top shaft with top gear that is pressed onto that pin...

EDIT:
    now that I've read your post again, check the wheel hex pins... Being that you did a tire change, one of the wheel hex pins could have fallen out
    Last edited by rag6; 07-31-2017 at 02:08 AM.
    Ya can't polish fertilizer...

RC poster
    Pinion and spur gear all look good. Wheel hexes and pins all good. Just upgraded to 17mm while i had them off. Pin behind the spur gear is there and not bent.
    Last edited by Deeznutz357; 07-31-2017 at 12:09 PM.

RC poster
    Adjust your slipper clutch. Just had the same problem switching from NIMH to LIPO batteries. Traxxas recommends all the way tight then one full turn loose. I found a half turn loose was still a little too much slip.

Accepting requests for bashing at GREENWOOD BASHPLEX in Pittsburgh PA!! Check the thread in the track buddy forum and reply there or pm
    Its probably. Tye roll pin inside trans on top shaft...

RC poster
    Lol, photobucket sux now. Didnt know they changed the 3rd party hosting system. Tranny was good, but very gummed up. The tye pin was all good, so i went ahead and cleaned and did the matainance on the tranny. I saw a video that was posted in another thread. Then reassembled it to traxxas specs. The slipper clutch needed to be adjusted, as well as the pinion and spur gear. You know with the piece of paper. It is running smooth and fast now. Thanks guys

Quote Originally Posted by rag6 View Post
    Cant see those unless i pay 400$ to photobucket
    Wow i just tried looking. Norton said it is a dangerous website. First time i have seen that.
    Choose Life !!!

Yep years of threads with cool pics showing how to's all gone... unless you want to pay all that money to the interneterrorists at PB...