RC Enthusiast

First run 10 minutes and smoke........

Well I had my first run and it started out good but ended badly. After 10 minutes of run time, boat sputtered then quit all together. fortunately it was close to shore and drifted in. As it was I could see smoke coming from it but had no idea how bad it was. Hatch was burnt and melted on the inside. ESC was fried as well.
    SHOCKED to see this especially running a HR water jacket and dual rudder pickup. I am looking at designing some air ducts to get more cooling because this boat runs hot I guess. BTW I was running gens ace 8400 MAH.

Was I doing something wrong?

RC poster
    I've had my batteries get warm, but I only run 5000 mAh. I'd guess you never let off the throttle! Go into corners slower, and leave even easier. Full throttle should only be once the boat is straight. A turning boat causes much more torque to be required, more torque in this case is more amps and unless you have upgraded ESC and Motor you will likely get things too hot, even with dual cooling. You maybe just puffed a cap in the ESC and can replace just that. They also sell cap banks you can add between the batteries and the input to the ESC, thus reducing some load if you are a heavy throttle user.

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by aleicgrant View Post
    Well I had my first run and it started out good but ended badly. After 10 minutes of run time, boat sputtered then quit all together. fortunately it was close to shore and drifted in. As it was I could see smoke coming from it but had no idea how bad it was. Hatch was burnt and melted on the inside. ESC was fried as well.
    SHOCKED to see this especially running a HR water jacket and dual rudder pickup. I am looking at designing some air ducts to get more cooling because this boat runs hot I guess. BTW I was running gens ace 8400 MAH.

As caserace33 said, it was most likely an issue of running too hard. The issue you experienced was not from a lack of cooling, rather from an overload of current. Boats live in a very demanding environment, both gas and electric. It is the only environment where there is a constant load on the powertrain which can have severe impacts if not dealt with properly. The ESC most likely experienced increased amp loads for an extended time and it just couldn't handle it anymore. Contact Traxxas though, they will definitely get you hooked back up.

RC Racer
    Shorten up your run times.

RC Competitor
    I run my spartan almost 3 times as long and don't worry too much about driving it gently as described by other posters.

The motor and esc get hot and I don't let it pass 180F

I've got a dual pickup rudder as well. 5000mah g e ns ace.

Sounds like you've got issues besides driving style. You visually check to see cooling water is exiting the ports while your boat is running? I.e. there is no blockage to water flow?

Quote Originally Posted by aleicgrant View Post

I wouldn't do air ducts, because, well, you're running on water and theres already a water cooling system for that. What I would try (and I just got this idea) is to modify a little fan to fit on the motor shaft behind where the motor hooks up to the driveshaft, so when you run it hard (which obviously you have..), it stays cool.