How is The Teton?

How is the Teton? How does it handle, how much does the body break, and how much does everything on the car break? Does it break more than the sst? Oh, and has anyone stripped out the new metal diffs? I want to put some in my sst because I don't like how it handles with ball diffs. My sst is brushless and I would like to know if the diffs would strip out in a brushless latrax.

I'm excited for Traxxas to start selling the new Latrax prerunner bodies and other parts
    Doesn't need to be fancy. Just needs to run.

RC Enthusiast
    i have a brushless Teton and love it for general bashing. Nothing like my Xmaxx, but still a lot of fun on gravel dirt. Hard to compare to my SSTs. Like them both, but dont have brushless in the SSTs yet. i like the general handling of the SST better, but it might just be that i like the way it looks!

given a choice between the two, i same would probably just choose the less expensive one at the time. if same price, i would lean SST.

The Teton's body is more protected and i have had no cracks or major damage with a lot of brushless lipo bashing. The SST on stock everything has demolished its bodies.

i just transfered a metal diff from a stock SST to the rear of my Teton because i also was tired of the ball diff. Been happy since, but did finally break the dog bones on the rear after that change.

Hot Racing makes some really nice steel axles for the latrax Teton and Sst https://www.amazon.com/Hot-Racing-SL...rax+teton+axle A lot of GPM's products are junk, but I've found that they make some really good steel parts and they just happen to make steel axles for the latrax that are surprisingly heavier duty than the hot racing ones https://www.amazon.com/Traxxas-LaTra...eel+driveshaft I would like to get a new latrax prerunner https://latrax.com/products/prerunner which is an sst with a new body because I like how it looks and handles.
    Last edited by PecosBill; 08-03-2017 at 08:02 PM.

RC Enthusiast
    I am considering this for my soon to be 8 yr old on his birthday. I am looking for reviews from RC people. Does the Teton hold up decently? Or should I order replacement/upgrade parts at the same time? Would a bigger battery be suggestable or just another?

We have a few Traxxas models in our house that he has learned on, and he really wants a mini version of Dad's Summit. This seems to be a less expensive option to the 1/16 Summit, but am curious if it performs decently and holds up. Does it do okay trailing? Good lil basher?!

ANY input welcome, especially from Teton owners as I have not found anything recent.
    Last edited by Praetorius; 06-17-2018 at 09:33 PM. Reason: Additional comment
    Every crash/ broken story: This one time...

Traxxas Marshal
    I have only had my Teton for a short while, but I have owned a Rally (same platform) for several months. The Teton does seem like a pretty durable vehicle. I've been putting mine through its paces, and I'm having a blast. I'd stick with the stock battery, to be quite honest; it provides plenty of power and run time. If you want another pack, just pick up the Traxxas 1200mAh series one pack.

I'd definitely recommend buying a better charger, though. The supplied wall charger takes quite some time to charge. Traxxas sells a simple Ni-Mh charger that would charge the battery much more quickly for not much $. This is assuming you don't have a capable charger already, of course.

Overall, it's a fun truck and it's hard to beat for the money. I think your son would love it.
    Last edited by cooleocool; 06-19-2018 at 08:33 PM.
    "Happiness depends upon ourselves." -Aristotle

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Praetorius View Post
    I am considering this for my soon to be 8 yr old on his birthday. I am looking for reviews from RC people. Does the Teton hold up decently? Or should I order replacement/upgrade parts at the same time? Would a bigger battery be suggestable or just another?

We have a few Traxxas models in our house that he has learned on, and he really wants a mini version of Dad's Summit. This seems to be a less expensive option to the 1/16 Summit, but am curious if it performs decently and holds up. Does it do okay trailing? Good lil basher?!

ANY input welcome, especially from Teton owners as I have not found anything recent.
    I have a Teton and so does my 6 year old son. They are a lot of fun. I do wish it was a bit more durable. We've broken several parts already and only ride it thru the woods on training mode. No jumping or crazy stuff. It's basically just an excuse to get my son to walk a few miles without complaining that he's tired or bored. Without the Teton he would just lay on the couch and watch tv all day...

On less than 10 rides we have broken:

3 stock springs - replaced with GTR shocks
    2 brushed motors - replaced 1 under warrenty
    1 drive shaft broken - still waiting for new parts
    3 drive shafts bent - still waiting for new parts
    and tight turning has turned into very wide turning so there must be several parts worn out...

It's a fun car, and I don't mind working on it. But I do feel bad when I have to tell my 6 year old that the ride is over because another part is broken again.

Traxxas Marshal
    I'm sorry to hear that, Oswald Otte. Mine has survived more than one occurance of being ran over by a child's bicycle without taking any damage. The motor issue I could see, though. I can hardly get through half of a battery pack before my motor is already overheating.

RC Enthusiast
    Cool, you make the Teton sound like its a good little basher & holds up well. What have you had to replace (if anything)?

Oswald, you make the Teton seem like EVERY time you play with it something will break?! Just tipping over requires a new part...

What I'm looking for is more responses/feedback to get a good picture of what I'm getting. I'd rather not buy the Teton and have to buy $50-60 in upgrades or replacement parts at the same time; why not just get the 1/16 Summit which seems much more durable?
    The only thing I am seeing consistently is that the Teton is seemingly plagued by motor issues. Is this true for everyone?
    Last edited by Praetorius; 06-23-2018 at 07:55 PM.

Traxxas Marshal
    I have probably a dozen + runs on my Teton so far. It has been ran over by a child's bicycle about 8-9 times now without any issue. I've cartwheeled it on jumps an uncountable number of times. So far, the only issue I've had is with one of the dog bones; the pin that connects with the cup slides out. I'm going to try to use some sort of adhesive to keep it in place. Other than that, and some scratches on the body, it has been holding up well. My Rally (again, similar platform) is holding up equally well. Both vehicles are 100% stock, except for the Traxxas series 1 six cell pack I have for my Rally.

The motors on these vehicles can run hot, and I think that's why people are having issues with them. If you run the motors past the point of overheating, they are going to fail. I usually run about half a pack through my Rally, half a pack through my Teton, take a small break, then run the Rally and Teton again after they have cooled down a bit.

You can get a motor fan for it, I used an Integy one made for the 1/16 Traxxas vehicles, and I took some pliers and carfully bent the heat sink just right to fit it, and it worked very well.

Traxxas Marshal
    If you have to pinch the heat sink, it won't be making full contact with the motor can. Without full contact, the heat sink will not work as well as it could. You'd be better off with a 370 heat sink and figuring out your own fan mount.

It's not about the heatsink, it's about the fan, blowing cool air onto the motor, and blowing the hot air away, keeping it cool. The heatsink holds the fan in place for this setup.

Traxxas Marshal
    Yes, but a proper fitting heat sink would only help the situation.

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Praetorius View Post
    Cool, you make the Teton sound like its a good little basher & holds up well. What have you had to replace (if anything)?

Oswald, you make the Teton seem like EVERY time you play with it something will break?! Just tipping over requires a new part...

What I'm looking for is more responses/feedback to get a good picture of what I'm getting. I'd rather not buy the Teton and have to buy $50-60 in upgrades or replacement parts at the same time; why not just get the 1/16 Summit which seems much more durable?
    The only thing I am seeing consistently is that the Teton is seemingly plagued by motor issues. Is this true for everyone?
    At the time I bought it, a 1/16 seemed too expensive and a bit oversized for my 6 year old. He previously had a cheap Nikko Vaporizr. So a Teton already seemed like a big step up. Sadly the cheap one can take a lot more abuse. I should have went with a 1/16. A bit more ground clearance and bigger wheels could have saved us a few times.

I can't trade in or sell the Teton because he will feel like I am taking away his toy, even though he would be getting a new one instead. He likes to collect stuff but can't easily part from it

I'm not saying the Teton is a bad car. It's a lot of fun. Even repairing it is fun. But just expect some downtime from time to time and some dissapointed looks from your kids...

RC Enthusiast
    Thanks for the feedback.

Although every R/C I've owned has been fun, some have required more work more often than others. Since I am getting an 8 yr old his own vehicle, and i teach each kid to repair their own vehicles, I'm curious if the simpler Teton would be the better choice? Or would it be more likely to need repairs versus the mini Summit?

Traxxas Marshal
    I went with Latrax because I figured they'd be simpler to work on and deal with for younger people; personally, I'm happy with that choice.

Latrax definitely has vehicles with a simple design. There are definitely areas Traxxas needs to improve with these, but they're great vehicles.

RC Enthusiast
    Thank you all for the feedback & honesty. It has been far more informative than the other reviews I was finding.

I am now attempting to convince the wifey that we should get him the cheaper model for his b-day (Aug 1) and the pricier one for Xmas as he will have enough experience to handle it by then ��

Traxxas Marshal
    That sounds like a fantastic plan for a couple of reasons. 1) He's learning on a cheaper, simpler model. 2) He'll have two cars to play with down the road so if one breaks, there's always a backup vehicle.

RC Competitor
    I'm a little late on this but I recomend the teton over the merv. Much simpler to work on. The biggest issue with the teton are the old plastic diff gears which now are no longer an issue now that they are full metal, and the stock shocks. The stock shock are garbage you can find several aluminum shocks that fit for cheap, I got my full set for less than $25. Most of the motor issues people have are due to them not properly breaking them in. There are many different methods to break in a brushed motor I prefer the water method. Use Google to research those. As for spares and extras new shocks, motor heatsink, spare drive shafts or wait until they break and get aluminum or steel, spare chamber and toe links. I also recomend a T Bone racing front bumper for every RC their wide front bumpers will help keep your shocks from taking a hit. Also the stock tires dont come glued not do they have foam.

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by puddmaxx View Post
    I'm a little late on this but I recomend the teton over the merv. Much simpler to work on. The biggest issue with the teton are the old plastic diff gears which now are no longer an issue now that they are full metal, and the stock shocks. The stock shock are garbage you can find several aluminum shocks that fit for cheap, I got my full set for less than $25. Most of the motor issues people have are due to them not properly breaking them in. There are many different methods to break in a brushed motor I prefer the water method. Use Google to research those. As for spares and extras new shocks, motor heatsink, spare drive shafts or wait until they break and get aluminum or steel, spare chamber and toe links. I also recomend a T Bone racing front bumper for every RC their wide front bumpers will help keep your shocks from taking a hit. Also the stock tires dont come glued not do they have foam.
    Thank you so much for this!
    I was just about to ask: what parts would be good to have on hand right away / what upgrades would experienced Teton owners suggest / what upgrades(fewest?) get the most bang for your buck???

Being mindful that an 8 yr old will be doing the vast majority of the wrenching himself AS WELL AS paying for the parts himself (using as budgeting teacher & intro to hobby grade vehicles).
    With THAT being said, I truly look forward to seeing the knowledge doled out

Traxxas Marshal
    I still haven't broken anything on my Teton, so I haven't bothered with upgrades. I tend to upgrade things if/when they break. That said, I would recommend grabbing some super glue/CA glue for the tires, as they are unglued from the factory. Spare body clips won't hurt, either, as I have lost quite a few of them.

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by cooleocool View Post
    I still haven't broken anything on my Teton, so I haven't bothered with upgrades. I tend to upgrade things if/when they break. That said, I would recommend grabbing some super glue/CA glue for the tires, as they are unglued from the factory. Spare body clips won't hurt, either, as I have lost quite a few of them.
    Check and check! Already have both items : )