what's your thoughts about the new prerunner?

Hello Everyone what are your thoughts on the new prerunner? I called Traxxas and confirmed that it's an sst with a new body. I like the new body more than the original body Now It's time to not use my new sst body that I painted and my old nice one that was already painted
    Doesn't need to be fancy. Just needs to run.

RC Racer
    Don't like lack of bumper protection and exposed shocks. I think i prefer wider, taller tires outside of body (like Stampede, E-Maxx)
    Check it out here: https://latrax.com/products/prerunner?t=overview

Last edited by BigAL12; 08-02-2017 at 05:39 PM.
    🅼🅾🅳🅴🆁🅰🆃🅾🆁🆂 🅳🅾🅽'🆃 🅲🅰🆁🅴

RC Enthusiast
    So you would like the Teton better.

I am happy to see that my 3 SSTs will again have spare parts, especially bodies. I like both the Teton and the SST for different reasons, but had bought up a bunch of used SSTs on craigslist right before they discontinued. The Teton is better for offroad and the SST is better for speed and track. I have a brushless in my Teton and need to get one for an SST, but my XMAXXs are taking my funds and time!

The stock shocks do break very easily on the Teton and sst, but Traxxas makes the GTR shocks https://latrax.com/products/accessories/7665 which are pretty much indestructible I have them on my sst and my sst has been in so bad of crashes that aluminum body mounts have broke, suspension arms got bent, and bumpers break. The GPM aluminum body mounts are junk though, same with almost all of their aluminum parts I've never driven a Teton myself, but they are pretty much the same as an sst. The only difference is the chassis is a bit shorter, the driveshaft and upper chassis are also shorter, different body, rear body mount, and tires. I like the new prerunner a lot more than the sst because it has steel diffs and a new body.

I posted some pics of my sst body that I painted https://forums.traxxas.com/showthrea...=1#post6401825 And I posted a bunch of pics of my sst on the photo thread https://forums.traxxas.com/showthrea...=1#post6401833

RC Racer
    I like the metal diffs/outdrives. It is certainly a long way from the rally. The drive train on these models will last a long time if you stick with the stock motor. The stock motor needs to have better brushes to withstand the 1200 MAH battery. This is the weak point in the model. Johnson or Mabuchi should redesign the brushes to make the copper arms thicker and the brush blocks thicker. As of now the motor cannot handle the amps. The armature seems to handle things real well. Bottom line,,, maybe facilitate installation of an RS 380 motor. problem solved.

i liked the old body paint scheme so much more that ive been buying them here and there for when they become harder to find
    so far i have 3 spare old style bodes for backup
    cool ain't cheap -Dan Dreger

I found a brand new sst body that someone was selling on Amazon a couple months ago and bought it right away and I'm never ever going to use it. It's just for good looks right now and always will be unless traxxas brings back the sst.

RC Competitor
    Love the new prerunners. Shure the servo gears will break easy and stock drive shafts don't last long but those are mandatory upgrade areas on any rtr. Box stock they handle great on clay off road tracks. I have 3 prerunners for my kids 1 teton and my associated rc18t. Getting a prerunner for myself to mod out with a hobbywing 5200 kv motor drive shafts and a hitec HS65mg servo. These trucks have major potential to perform on a budget

RC Enthusiast
    First, let me apologize for dredging up a old thread but it seemed to be the best fitting for my boggle.

Bikemike, thanks for that last post. Along with one other post that was what I have been looking for. I NEED honest reviews and opinions about this model.

ALL of the big boys have got hobby grade vehicles. The youngest (now 6) is finally going to get his first good quality vehicle that will last more than a few runs or couple months. I know he is more than ready as he has had a few years of learning on everyone else's: a Teton, 2wd Stampede, merv, Bandit & Summit. I have been considering this model for some time as we are keeping it simple to know who's is who's for now and every vehicle is a different model.

What I am looking to find out is if this thing holds up decently, or do I NEED to get upgrades right away (besides T-bone protection)? He does the best with the Teton; how does the Prerunner compare? Is it basically the entry level, base model Slash?
    Since I teach each boy to work on (repair or mod) his own vehicle with minimal help I am hoping this is a good learner for him. How often/easily do breaks happen with light bashing around the neighborhood? What should I expect from this machine? What breaks are seen most often? How tough is it? Is it prone to motor issues like the Teton? Can it handle longer run times without upgrading?

Any and all info appreciated to help the guy in red fit the gift to the kid ��
    Last edited by Praetorius; 11-15-2018 at 02:03 AM. Reason: Additional comment
    Every crash/ broken story: This one time...

RC Enthusiast
    Hello Praetorius,

First I'll state that I like the SST (Prerunner) over the Teton. I've found that the larger body protects the wheels, tires, and suspension a little bit better. Additionally, I've found that the narrower tires are easier on the factory servo. I used the stock traxxas servo for a year on my SST and only a month or so on the Teton. Finally, the longer wheelbase provides a little more stability overall.

The Prerunner has all of the same motor, ESC, and servo issues as the Teton. All of these components are common between the vehicles. A savox metal gear servo is a great upgrade, the hobbywing brushless speed control and motor are great.

In the end whatever knowledge you have from the Teton will carry over directly to the Prerunner.

RC Enthusiast
    Hey Praetorius- We got the prerunner for my son's 6th bday and its a tough little truck out of the box. He's had experience running my 2wd stampede and TRX4 and has no problems driving this truck, even in full power mode!
    We've had it a few months now and with light bashing and some big jumps thrown in nothing has broken yet (knock on wood.)
    I've kept it stock, no upgrades as of yet. Its plenty fast out of the box, the little motor does get hot quick and the battery doesn't last too long (15-20min max going all out.)

It's pretty easy to work on - it mostly uses small Phillips screws. I've had to take the motor cover off to get tiny rock bits out of the spur gear and its not complicated.
    Cool truck and glad we got it for him as now his little brother wants to drive it too!

RC Enthusiast
    Waterford, Joe: Thanks for the info.

I was fairly certain from researching that the LaTrax models are good starters for lil ones - Traxxas quality on a budget! I always look for and appreciate feedback from other r/c hobbyists; you tend to get a more honest review & what to expect.
    Every crash/ broken story: This one time...